Old March 3rd 04, 02:10 AM
RandallW

Default Luke DP-976

This is a portable radio with a dynamo and solar panel. Anyone bought a
radio from this company ( Luke )? The one I bought is a lemon.

Old March 3rd 04, 03:22 AM
Dave

I picked one up off of eBay about 6 years ago, and it worked for three or
four. What's wrong with your lemon? If you would like, sell it to me for
$10.00. I can use the spare parts.

Dave

Old March 5th 04, 12:29 PM
Dave

"RandallW" wrote in message

"Dave" wrote in message
I picked one up off of eBay about 6 years ago, and it worked for three

or
four. What's wrong with your lemon? If you would like, sell it to me

for
$10.00. I can use the spare parts.

Dave

Problem #1: I think it has Ni-Mh cells inside.....every time I look at

Ni-Mh
cells in stores, they say they require a special charger....yet a
dynamo/solar panel are supposed to charge them fine? I think one of the
cells died on me, only 2 or 3 months after I bought the radio. I can

charge
the radio with sunlight for 3 days and it'll still give me bad, distored,
moderately weak reception ( as if it's giving me 2 cells worth of electric
power ). Oh, and since the cells are hard wired, it's not very simple to
replace them when they die.

Problem #2: The tuning dial sometimes get stuck....I spin the knob but

the
dial stays where it is, maybe 1/3 of the way from one edge of the freq
range.

Problem #3: The switch for the frequency is very figetty; sometimes I

lose
the broadcast and I have to jiggle the switch.

Problem #4: Design fault in shape of radio. The top of the radio slants
downward, towards the back...that means for best solar power the back of

the
radio would be facing 'toward' the sun....but that's the same direction

the
speaker is facing!
Either put the speaker on the front of the radio or make the top slope in
the opposite direction.

Hmmm. Let me think about it. I may still be interested.

Thanks,

Dave

Old March 6th 04, 07:15 AM
RandallW

"Dave" wrote in message

"Dave" wrote in message
I picked one up off of eBay about 6 years ago, and it worked for three

or
four. What's wrong with your lemon? If you would like, sell it to me

for
$10.00. I can use the spare parts.

Dave

Hmmm. Let me think about it. I may still be interested.

Thanks,

Dave

I listed my complaints to merely complain about it's design...I wasn't
seeking some sort of sale..