Old March 3rd 04, 02:26 PM
Judah Smith

Default I got my DX-200 (its cool, but was kind of a bummer)

I got it yesterday and it looked like the UPS guy dropped the box over
my fence into the back yard. IDIOTS! Anyway I got it inside and
first of all the guy told me it was in mint condition, like new out of
the box. (I have made that statement as well about certain radios,
but when I did, they were.) This radio was not. He always claimed it
had been sitting quietly in his office since he first bought it new
back in the early 80's. But it was cover in dust, dirt, and all the
knobs had a greenish, hard oxidized residue that I had to scrape off.
It was in a word filthy. Even when I cleaned it up it still didn't
look even close to new. Which is a bummer cause i like to buy ones in
really nice shape so if I decide to keep it, its like perfect.
Anyway. Then I turn it on and all the sound is distored. It sounds
like everything is in SSB. It horrible. I turn down the RF gain to
like 2 and finally the stations sound normal, but are so faint it not
even funny. As soon as I turn the RF over two everything gts loud and
starts to distort. REALLY BAD! So I open it up and (since I know
very litte about electronics, stare blankly at the interals. I don't
know what possessed me to do it but there was a plastic piece with
wires soldered to it, that was directly behind the signal meter, and I
touched it and it seemed a little loose, (when I touched and moved it
around the voices seemed to go from distorted to normal..woobling back
and forth) So I tightened that piece and the radio seemes to be
working fine. CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT THAT PIECE WAS? It is screwed
vertically directly behind the signal meter on the inside. And has
some wires soldered to it. Before I tighted it it seemed to make the
radio sound like it was overloading, bad! Anyway, I know I am not
suppose to spray tuner cleaner on anything. But what should I use to
clean the switched. Also is there anything you should ever spray
inside the aligned componments? (I think they are called pots)
Everything seems pretty easy to get to, I was thinking of trying to
recap it. (what are the benefits of doing that?) In addition,
someone had mentioned some ways of improving the audio, by adding a
cap somewhere. I may try that. The radio is very sensitive, and the
selectivity is not bad. But is was not nearly in the kind of shape
the guy claimed. AT ALL. It was rough. And it wasn't dirt cheap
either. I paid 80 with shipping. I kind of got screwed. But what
can you do....Anyway, and suggestions to improve, clean, or mod the
radio would be appricated.