Old March 5th 04, 01:02 PM
Stinger

Default Excellent source for Kaito KA1102 (American version of China's Degen 1102)

I've been really surprised how long it has taken for someone to come up with
a non-Ebay (and non PayPal BS) source for a true American version of the
portable radio that has been stirring up such a buzz around here -- the
Degen 1102.

Well, this morning I was surfing around the new RadioLabs site (checking for
when they're going to mod other radios -- I still want a synch detector for
my CC Radio Plus), and found that they're temporarily selling the Kaito
KA1102 for $79.95 plus shipping (UPS). Plus, this American version comes
with a blue backlight and rechargable Ni-MH batteries and a true 110V AC
adapter/charger that automatically charges the batteries when plugged in.
That's right -- no more 220 to 110v converter. Anyway, here's the link:

http://www.radiolabs.com/products/ra...02-special.php

I've ordered mine, and will let you know what I think of it. I don't expect
it to be in the same league as my "Super ATS-909," but I won't get nearly as
upset if it gets lost or stolen -- I'll take this little radio everywhere.
From what I see, they're ending the sale on March 18th.

Anyway, just wanted to give you guys a "heads-up" on this in case you were
like me and didn't really want to deal with the Chinese version and wanted
to deal with an actual dealer (long-timers will tell you that's the way to
go -- just in case it has a problem).

-- Stinger

Old March 5th 04, 02:56 PM
Diverd4777

- Thanks for the link..
Browsing around their web site, I found a repair section ( !! )

http://www.radiolabs.com/repair/radiorepair.html

If they do repairs, can mods be far behind...

In article , "Stinger"
writes:

[...]

From what I see, they're ending the sale on March 18th.

Old March 5th 04, 05:06 PM
Corbin Ray

I got my Degen 1102 directly from China from Liypn through eBay. Even though
the brand says Degen (which is the company that actually makes both the
Degen and Kaito versions), it is fully American-friendly. The owners manual
has an English section and a Chinese section. It has rechargeable batteries
(Degen brand 1300mAh Ni-MH) and are chargeable inside the radio with a
220-110 adapter supplied at no cost by the seller. The MW band comes preset
as 522-1620 with 9kHz spacing, but when you set the radio to 10kHz spacing,
the MW band atomically expands to 520-1710. And the pretty blue light is
right here on my Degen, just like it is on the Kaito version.

There has been lots of misinformation being put out by Kaito dealers versus
Degen dealers. But from what I can tell, my Degen is exactly the same as a
Kaito. And if there's a difference, then I haven't found anything obviously
missing from mine, so it must not be a very important difference.

Old March 6th 04, 12:17 AM
Stinger

Corbin, I'm glad you're happy with your radio, and you should know that your
very fine evaluation of that radio played a major part in my decision to buy
one. I prefer not having to deal with a converter when plugging-in (or
travelling with) a portable radio, so the American-market Kaito fits my
needs better.

However, I have to tell you that I'm not a fan of PayPal, and that I prefer
to buy radio electronics from reputable dealers -- not Ebay "stores."

Chinese electronics are always a crapshoot, and though I've heard good
things about Lipyn -- he's still no RadioLabs. If I somehow get a "lemon,"
the only emotion I'll feel will be disappointment as I returned it for
another. However, if I'd ordered from China and got a "lemon," the
disappointment would be tempered with quite a bit of anxiety.

-- Stinger