Old March 8th 04, 03:54 AM
Brenda Ann

Default All I want for Christmas is an R-390

This gives someone plenty of time to find one.. Course, it will have to
be shipped in pieces because of the weight limits.

Take care, all, and stay well.

--
Illigitimus non tatum carborundum

*Don't let the *******s wear you down*

Old March 8th 04, 03:58 AM
J999w

They can be shipped by truck. Nothing else like having a semi-truck pull up in
front of the house and knowing your new receiver has arrived !

jw
wb9uai
Old March 15th 04, 05:19 AM
starman

J999w wrote:

They can be shipped by truck. Nothing else like having a semi-truck pull up in
front of the house and knowing your new receiver has arrived !

jw
wb9uai

It's also possible to ship it by bus, like Trailways. This is one of the
safest ways to ship heavy/fragile equipment.

Old March 16th 04, 05:21 AM
WShoots1

Thanks, Frank, for the link. Sad.

The R390A/URR Ultimate Performance, General Coverage AM & CW Receiver

It works fine for SSB, too. In 1960, during a sea trial on the USS Little Rock
as a Philco Tech Rep, I used one to run phone patches. The rig was a 1500 watt
TMC vfo phasing rig. (It had an 8 Hz frequency variation due to the vibration
on the variable capacitor caused by a bent propeller shaft. LOL)

I had such great luck with the stock R390A (in the main transmitter room) and
the Navy guys in Radio Central were having so much trouble with the TMC ssb
adapters they had down there, they started using the 390's without the adapters
as I suggested. G

Bill, K5BY

Old March 16th 04, 09:00 PM
Frank Dresser

"WShoots1" wrote in message
Thanks, Frank, for the link. Sad.

I suppose that's how the government treats much of it's oblselete
surplus. Not as something which will be useful and valueable to someone
else, but as scrap. Anyway, the picture was taken years ago, and it
seems Fair Radio ended up with many of these radios.

I was seriously considering getting a R-390 a few years ago. I have
some test equipment, and the servicing documentation is excellent. I
figured I could get it going very nicely. I didn't. Hobby money's a
little tight now, and I really don't have the space. Oh, well.

Other radios are more practical, but few are so cool.

Frank Dresser

Old March 17th 04, 06:05 AM
WShoots1

Frank D.: Other radios are more practical, but few are so cool.

My late wife, Ruby, N5GIN, was more interested in ham radio when the radios
looked like real radios instead of kitchen appliances. She would have
appreciated that say, "Real radios glow in the dark."

I always wanted a JRC shipboard station. It was neat. It was clean looking yet
it looked business like. And it had everything. Retuning the HF transmitter for
the ham bands would have been no problem.

The European made 400 watt ssb stations were really super. Those were nice
little packages.

I know that people like Fair Radio would come along and buy a complete
inventory of surplus stuff at pennies a pound. I guess that was more efficient
for the Government.

73,
Bill, K5BY
Old March 8th 04, 04:08 AM
Brian Denley

Brenda Ann wrote:
This gives someone plenty of time to find one.. Course, it will
have to be shipped in pieces because of the weight limits.

Take care, all, and stay well.

Brenda:
I want one too! Does it weigh more than an SX-28?

--
Brian Denley

Old March 8th 04, 07:24 AM
donutbandit

"Brenda Ann" wrote in
:

This gives someone plenty of time to find one.. Course, it will
have to be shipped in pieces because of the weight limits.

Fair Radio Sales sells them by the armloads, and gets them shipped somehow.
Old March 8th 04, 07:54 AM
Brenda Ann

"donutbandit" wrote in message
"Brenda Ann" wrote in
:

This gives someone plenty of time to find one.. Course, it will
have to be shipped in pieces because of the weight limits.

Fair Radio Sales sells them by the armloads, and gets them shipped

somehow.

Yep, they can freight them, or pay the extra to have UPS or FedEx take them
as over weight. I don't have those options, ergo would have to have it
shipped in pieces (thankfully, they do come apart into recognizable
modules).