Old March 10th 04, 12:26 AM
John

Default digital wx obs and images with degen and sound card

Hey guys: I have read that it's possible to get weather reports and/or
images by using your sound card and some software? I have downloaded seatty,
is that one of the better pieces of s/w? I jsut am using a degen 1102 and my
sound card.
Also, are tehre designated frequencies where one could tune to, and use the
s/w? For canadian and american weather info?
thanks in advance
-John
__________________________________________________ ________________ John Mr.
DTV ICQ#: 132262179 Current ICQ status: + More ways to contact me

Old March 10th 04, 12:30 PM
Charlie

Hello,

The mode that you are interested in id called HFFAX.
I don't own a Degen so I can't tell you if it is capable of
tuning the signal properly but here is what it must do:

1) Be able to use USB (upper sideband)

2) Have a line out or recorder jack to eun to your computer.

3) Be able to tune in increments of less then 1 khx eg. 8036.1, 7878.1
etc.

Some fairly easy software for HFFAX is available
I have Skyweep and JVComm32 (You can Google search and find bioth
very
quickly.

JVComm32 is very easy to use with minimum setop required and also
decodes
Navtex (Sitor B), RTTY and SSTV. I use this mostlt for the HFFAX and
SSTV.
This is a shareware program.

Skyweep has a wide variety of modes (about 20) and is a commercial
product.

To find frequencies check the US Coast Guard sight. They have a PDF
for free download that has all (that's what they say) with the active
FAX/RTTY weather frwquencies around the world.

The frequencies listed must have 1.9 khz subtracted from them to
decode them properly.

The JVComm is funcional so you can use it "as is" to see if your radio
can handle the ASK.

hOPE THIS HELPS,
cHARLIE