Old March 10th 04, 05:52 AM
Bill Hansen

Default FS 19 Strand 1/4" OD All copper Antenna Wire

I have 90 feet of NEW 19 strand 1/4" OD all copper antenna wire listed on eBay.

Click here to see a picture of it:

If you have any questions, please email me.

Thanks,

Bill
Old March 10th 04, 12:58 PM
Harris

Bill Hansen wrote:
I have 90 feet of NEW 19 strand 1/4" OD all copper antenna wire listed on eBay.

Click here to see a picture of it:

Thanks, I got a good chuckle out of that!

Art N2AH
Old March 11th 04, 12:07 AM
WShoots1

I assume that's the standard 19/16, 19 strands of 16 guage hard drawn copper
wire. That's good stuff and it is heavy, requiring serious insulators and
supports.

That's what was used for main and emergency antennas on old US merchant vessels
as well as the emergency antenna (coiled up) for vessels with vertical
antennas.

Ideally, stainless steel thimbles should be used at the ends. These may be
purchased at places that sell marine hardware.

Really, for SWLs, the smaller 7/16 would be better. But it, too, is rather
stiff and requires similar handling (including smaller thimbles). 7/16 was used
for the safety link for the antennas using 19/16 wire.

Bill, K5BY
Old March 13th 04, 04:45 AM
starman

Harris wrote:

Bill Hansen wrote:
I have 90 feet of NEW 19 strand 1/4" OD all copper antenna wire listed on eBay.

Click here to see a picture of it:

Thanks, I got a good chuckle out of that!

Art N2AH

It looks like common electrical grounding wire, which means it's not
made for being under tension as an antenna wire. It was probably left
over from a home wiring project.

Old March 14th 04, 06:52 PM
Art Harris

starman wrote:
Harris wrote:

Bill Hansen wrote:
I have 90 feet of NEW 19 strand 1/4" OD all copper antenna wire listed on eBay.

Click here to see a picture of it:

Thanks, I got a good chuckle out of that!

Art N2AH

It looks like common electrical grounding wire, which means it's not
made for being under tension as an antenna wire. It was probably left
over from a home wiring project.

Well it's good heavy wire, although plain copper like this will
stretch under tension. Definitely overkill for an SWL. But what was
particularly amusing was the claim that the somewhat larger surface
area would capture more signal. Wrong!

Capture area is one of the more misunderstood things among hams/swls.

Did you know that an 80 meter dipole (approx 135 feet long) made of
thin wire has a capture area of over 8,000 square feet at its resonant
frequency? It's true!

Art N2AH

Old March 14th 04, 09:18 PM
Telamon

In article ,
(Art Harris) wrote:

starman wrote:
Harris wrote:

Bill Hansen wrote:
I have 90 feet of NEW 19 strand 1/4" OD all copper antenna wire
listed on eBay.

Click here to see a picture of it:

Thanks, I got a good chuckle out of that!

Art N2AH

It looks like common electrical grounding wire, which means it's
not made for being under tension as an antenna wire. It was
probably left over from a home wiring project.

Well it's good heavy wire, although plain copper like this will
stretch under tension. Definitely overkill for an SWL. But what was
particularly amusing was the claim that the somewhat larger surface
area would capture more signal. Wrong!

Capture area is one of the more misunderstood things among hams/swls.

Did you know that an 80 meter dipole (approx 135 feet long) made of
thin wire has a capture area of over 8,000 square feet at its
resonant frequency? It's true!

How long the dipole should be depends on the frequency or frequencies
one wants to receive well. Larger dipoles are for lower frequencies.
Generally it is best to consider the lowest frequency you want to listen
to and use that resonant length. The much longer than needed dipole at
the higher frequencies will work well except at certain specific
frequencies, which will be the even multiples of the chosen dipole
length.

The consequence of resonant antennas means that at least two dipoles
need to be made. The second should be an odd harmonic length to the
first so all bands will be covered. Actually I would advocate that
people make two different types of antennas like a dipole and a loop.
Times and conditions will dictate which will work better.

Larger diameter wires will have broader resonant characteristics but for
receiving will have no impact. The diameter and other metallurgical
aspects of the wire should be considered for the strength and longevity
of the installation.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old March 16th 04, 05:00 AM
WShoots1

Well it's good heavy wire, although plain copper like this will stretch
under tension.

If that's 19/16 Copperweld(? -- hard drawn copper), it won't sag under normal
conditions. It's supports may, though. G That stuff is heavy.

Bill, K5BY

Putting a Ferrite Rod at the Far-End of a Random Wire Antenna ? RHF Antenna 25 November 15th 04 08:15 PM
Antenna wire question. bugrunner Shortwave 7 March 5th 04 02:02 AM
Loop antenna question Dave Shortwave 38 December 30th 03 11:46 PM
Poor quality low + High TV channels? How much dB in Preamp? lbbs Shortwave 16 December 13th 03 03:01 PM
What is it that makes auto radio get great reception Ronald Shortwave 4 November 16th 03 01:17 PM