Old March 14th 04, 10:01 PM
Jim Douglas

Default 1:1 balun construction

Here is one example searching Google for 1:1 balun

http://braincambre500.freeservers.co...r%20dipole.htm

"JEFF UK" wrote in message
Hi.
I am now planning to put up my first dipole for SWL.
I need help with;

1) A sensible length for general SWL.?
I mostly listen between 80 and 20 mtrs.

2) I would like a diagram of a 1:1 balun construction.
I believe this is the correct type for a dipole ?
I have a ferrite rod not rings, will it work the same ?

3) I will be using 75 ohm tv coax to its feed point which
is 90 feet from the house.
Will this be ok ?

4) I will need to bend the legs of the antenna to fit them in the garden.
I think this is ok for receiving ?

All help welcomed

Regards

Jeff

Old March 15th 04, 06:50 AM
JEFF UK

cheers guys 4 the info

"DxAce" wrote in message

-=jd=- wrote:

On Sun 14 Mar 2004 11:26:10a, DxAce wrote in
message :

[brevity snip]

Absolutely correct. If one wants good single band performance then the
dipole, or inverted vee configuration if just fine.

But if you want a good 'all 'round' antenna then go the random wire,
matching transformer route.

I'm currently using the random wire(s), but I plan to put up an

inverted
Vee for 60 meters this summer.

[brevity snip]

I've seen the pic of a wire antenna on your web page and I was wondering
if that's a current or outdated pic and is it your main antenna. It

looks
like it's strung on 4x4 posts - can't get a feel for the total length

from
the pic. The height from that pic seems like it's 10 feet (more or less)
off the ground.

4x4x12's sunk 3 feet into the ground. That pic shows the antenna at 100'

in
length. It is now 200'.

In the back, running at a 90 degree angle to the 100' wire pictured is a

70'
wire.

In comparison, my wire is strung (for the most part) 30 to 40 feet up
following a more or less "Z" figure along the edge of the tree line on

my
property for about 300 feet. It's fed with coax through a matching
transformer (grounded to the shield). The ground is about 20 feet from

the
transformer (the earliest point where I could ground it).

Both my 70' and 200' wires are grounded at the base below the co-axial
feedpoint.

If you have additional questions which I've failed to answer (i'm sure I
have), feel free to ask.

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

Old March 16th 04, 02:05 AM
Chief Suspect

"JEFF UK" wrote.

I am now planning to put up my first dipole for SWL.

.............. let me ask first, why you especially want a dipole? Dipoles
are great for directional
broadcasting. Shortwaves come in from random reflection points only in the
general direction
of ..... there-to-there. :) Different frequencies will resonate best at
certain angles from the
antenna. 90-degree broadside is only for transmitted frequencies specific to
the cut dipole
lengths.

1) A sensible length for general SWL.?

............... for the range you specified, you might be well satisfied with
50-100 feet of wire.
The idea is to get it as high as possible off the ground, and not threaded
through trees.

2) I would like a diagram of a 1:1 balun construction.

.............. Construction of a Balun for impedence matching is a matter of
some patient
engineering. Better to purchase one already made. A good one for use with
52 ohm coax
will best be mounted at the top where the legs of the dipole meet, before
signal travels down
the coax to your RX.

3) I will be using 75 ohm tv coax to its feed point which is 90 feet from

the house.
Will this be ok ?

................. 75 ohm coax will be fine. Too much emphasis is placed on
use of 52 ohm coax.
Both are considered low-impedance. But, get 100% insulated shield. Braid,
not aluminum
sheath TV cable. Better, however, would be 600-ohm TV track wire for that
distance.
Cheap stuff. 600 Ohm is considered hi-impedence, and should enter the RX
using that
connection instead of the PL-259 Lo-Z input.... or feed it thru a passive
tuner. See below.

4) I will need to bend the legs of the antenna to fit them in the garden.

.................. Uh Oh! Yes, this will indeed affect impedence, freq
response, as well as
Mu factor and shape of Q. Consider, frequency response may be enhanced one
way
or the other by passing the signal through chokes or coils. Bending your
antenna around
corners "to make it fit" is essentially starting such a "coil" and the
frequency response will
be affected according to how much wire length you are using.

Bottom line: Keep it straight, high, well insulated with propers hardware
mountings. Feed
your downlead end through a passive tuner such as a TUN-3 or TUN-4 then to
the RX.
GROUND the receiver chassis with THICK cabling, perhaps several strands of
THICK
twisted TV aluminum grounding wires. Go the shortest, most direct route to a
real earth
grounding rod, or bury a piece of concrete reinforcement grid underground to
hook onto.

Parallel balun problem with wire loop loopfan Antenna 7 March 23rd 04 09:36 PM
Horizontal loop - balun or no balun ? Per Enocson Antenna 5 December 14th 03 01:28 AM
Antenna Questions ASW Shortwave 26 December 8th 03 04:30 AM
Balun Grounding Question ? John Doty Shortwave 4 November 25th 03 12:29 PM
Balun Grounding Question ? Robert11 Antenna 6 November 23rd 03 09:39 PM