Old March 14th 04, 10:53 PM
G. Skiffington

Default WTD: Schematic "ASTRONAUT 8" receiver

This was a portable, transistorized, multi-band receiver sold under the
Realistic brand by Radio Shack circa 1965 to 72 approximately. The
model number is 12-751B on this unit. Alternatively, anyone who's
worked on one for an AGC problem, contact me if you'd like.

Thanks

Gord Skiffington
Old March 15th 04, 10:11 PM
Allodoxaphobia

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 22:53:32 GMT, G. Skiffington hath writ:
This was a portable, transistorized, multi-band receiver sold under the
Realistic brand by Radio Shack circa 1965 to 72 approximately. The
model number is 12-751B on this unit. Alternatively, anyone who's
worked on one for an AGC problem, contact me if you'd like.

IIRC, most all RS electronics sold back then had the schematic
glued somewhere on the inside of the outer cover(s). Have you
opened it up yet? You may have it already.

HTH
Jonesy
Old March 15th 04, 10:18 PM
G. Skiffington

Thanks for your reply Jonesy.....I just took a look (have it apart on my
bench) and there is no diagram inside - Good idea though; remember when
many radio's (and indeed other electrical equipment of all kinds) had
the diagram with them in the manner you described - Thats when
manufacturers were proud of their products

Gord
Old March 16th 04, 02:24 AM
Allodoxaphobia

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 22:18:35 GMT, G. Skiffington hath writ:
Thanks for your reply Jonesy.....I just took a look (have it apart on my
bench) and there is no diagram inside - Good idea though; remember when
many radio's (and indeed other electrical equipment of all kinds) had
the diagram with them in the manner you described - Thats when
manufacturers were proud of their products

I can remember some palm-sized RS gadget (a WX Rcvr perhaps...) that
had it's schematic glued to the inside of the 9V battery cover!
It took a microscope to read it -- but, it was clear and complete.

gl
Jonesy
Old March 16th 04, 03:08 AM
Michael Black

Allodoxaphobia ) writes:
On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 22:18:35 GMT, G. Skiffington hath writ:
Thanks for your reply Jonesy.....I just took a look (have it apart on my
bench) and there is no diagram inside - Good idea though; remember when
many radio's (and indeed other electrical equipment of all kinds) had
the diagram with them in the manner you described - Thats when
manufacturers were proud of their products

I can remember some palm-sized RS gadget (a WX Rcvr perhaps...) that
had it's schematic glued to the inside of the 9V battery cover!
It took a microscope to read it -- but, it was clear and complete.

gl
Jonesy

I haven't seen schematics inside stuff for a long time.

On the other hand, I've had things from Radio Shack here in Canada as
recently as ten or so years ago that had a schematic inside the manual.
I've tapered off buying new things in recent years, so I'm not
sure if they still do that. The "atomic clock" I bought last month
from Radio Shack did not have the schematic inside.

On the other hand, I once spent quite a bit on a service manual
for a Radio Shack computer because I wanted to know details of
some of it's hardware. They could have/should have put those
few details in the already large manual that came with the computer,
but they didn't so I had to spend at least $40 for what amount
to a couple of pages of information. In the long run, it's probably
worth having the service manual, but it annoyed me that I had to
spend the extra money for a bit of detail that a lot more people
might be interested in than the service information.

Michael

Old March 16th 04, 04:19 PM
Allodoxaphobia

On 16 Mar 2004 03:08:31 GMT, Michael Black hath writ:
Allodoxaphobia ) writes:
On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 22:18:35 GMT, G. Skiffington hath writ:
Thanks for your reply Jonesy.....I just took a look (have it apart on my
bench) and there is no diagram inside - Good idea though; remember when
many radio's (and indeed other electrical equipment of all kinds) had
the diagram with them in the manner you described - Thats when
manufacturers were proud of their products

I can remember some palm-sized RS gadget (a WX Rcvr perhaps...) that
had it's schematic glued to the inside of the 9V battery cover!
It took a microscope to read it -- but, it was clear and complete.

I haven't seen schematics inside stuff for a long time.
On the other hand, I've had things from Radio Shack here in Canada as
recently as ten or so years ago that had a schematic inside the manual.

Ya, well, the OP's topic was discussing RS products from the
late 60's -- early 70's.

Most new $h1t is all encased in one 256-pin SMD chip.
Consumers are now just landfill conduits.

Jonesy