Old March 17th 04, 03:58 PM
Wayne Riedesel

Default Radio Row

No disrespect to the people who lost thier lives on 9/11, but I
thought this was an interesting story of the neighborhood before
the WTC was built. Here is the link:

http://sonicmemorial.org/public/stories.html

Wayne
IC-R75
IC-R70
RS DX-398

Old March 18th 04, 02:59 AM
tommyknocker

RHF wrote:

WR - Thank You for the Link and Trip Down Memory Lane ~ RHF

FO&A - Here is a More Direct Link/URL to "RADIO ROW".

RADIO-ROW= http://sonicmemorial.org/public/radiorow/radiorow.html

I wonder what happened to all the people who lived in the rooms above
the radio stores-did they just get tossed out on the street?

Old March 18th 04, 03:25 AM
S R

I saw the history of the WTC as well. It was on PBS about a year ago.
That's when I first learned about Radio Row. In fact, I still remember when
it was cheap to buy things on Chamber St. even in the 1980's.

What was that big antenna on the WTC for? (Funny that Radio Row was once
there)! And does other large towers in NYC have antennas on them?

I once saw something on PBS called The seven Mysteries of Grand Central.
They mention that the clock in side of Grand Central was synchronized buy a
shortwave signal. I thought that was strange. But in a cool way!

73

Old March 18th 04, 05:23 AM
tommyknocker

S R wrote:

I saw the history of the WTC as well. It was on PBS about a year ago.
That's when I first learned about Radio Row. In fact, I still remember when
it was cheap to buy things on Chamber St. even in the 1980's.

What was that big antenna on the WTC for? (Funny that Radio Row was once
there)! And does other large towers in NYC have antennas on them?

TV and radio broadcasts, later cell phone and utility relaying.

I once saw something on PBS called The seven Mysteries of Grand Central.
They mention that the clock in side of Grand Central was synchronized buy a
shortwave signal. I thought that was strange. But in a cool way!

They probably meant the signal from WWVB, which is technically longwave.

Old March 19th 04, 02:17 AM
Beloved Leader

"King Pineapple" wrote in message link.net...

As I recall, PBS had a documentary about the building of the WTC that went
into some detail about Radio Row, too.

I saw that show a few months ago. I believe this was it:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/newyork/index.html
"The Center of the World"

Old March 19th 04, 06:26 AM
starman

RadioGuy wrote:

Yup... and there was an article in Electronics Illustrated magazine for
March 1968 going into detail on how the towers were going to cause
disruptions to TV broadcast station coverage.

RG

Before the WTC towers were built, most television transmitters in NYC
were located on the Empire State Building. As the WTC towers grew taller
during construction, they started to cause serious reception 'ghosts'
(double images), particularly for viewers north of NYC. This was because
the signal from the ESB going south was reflected off the WTC towers,
producing a second signal going north. When the second reflected
(delayed) signal met with the primary signal going north from the ESB,
viewers in that area saw a serious ghost image on their screens. After
the WTC towers were completed, the television transmitters were moved
from the ESB to the WTC and that ended the ghost problem.
Since 9/11 some TV transmitters were moved back to the ESB (WCBS Ch-2
still had their old one there) while others were installed across the
Hudson river on the old Armstrong tower. It will be interesting to see
what happens to television reception in the NYC area when the new WTC is
built.

Old March 19th 04, 09:00 AM
Ron Hardin

The two good stores were Harrison, which was a sane ham-oriented
retailer, and Leeds, which was cardboard-box junk chaos but cheap and
filled with cigar smoke.
--
Ron Hardin