Old March 18th 04, 05:12 AM
Sedina II

Default Wayne Green on C to C AM Thursday 3/18

Wayne Green W2NSD the editor of the former 73 Magazine
and David Booth (2004 Earth Changes) will be George Noorey's
special guest on Coast to Coast AM
Thursday/Friday evening.

On a 1 to 10 scale this show should be a 12 !!

Show info for the above:
http://www.coasttocoastam.com/shows/2004/03/18.html

Main: http://www.coasttocoastam.com/

See also: http://www.whatdoesitmean.com/

Old March 18th 04, 03:29 PM
Ida Takencash

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 00:12:05 -0500, "Sedina II"
wrote:

Wayne Green W2NSD the editor of the former 73 Magazine
and David Booth (2004 Earth Changes) will be George Noorey's
special guest on Coast to Coast AM
Thursday/Friday evening.

On a 1 to 10 scale this show should be a 12 !!

All of these kooks should have disclaimers on their web sites that say
"For entertainment purposes only."
Old March 19th 04, 12:06 AM
Dave Bushong

Sedina II wrote:
Wayne Green W2NSD the editor of the former 73 Magazine
and David Booth (2004 Earth Changes) will be George Noorey's
special guest on Coast to Coast AM
Thursday/Friday evening.

On a 1 to 10 scale this show should be a 12 !!

Show info for the above:
http://www.coasttocoastam.com/shows/2004/03/18.html

Main: http://www.coasttocoastam.com/

See also: http://www.whatdoesitmean.com/

Wayne Green. Loser extrordinaire. Failed more ham radio businesses and
magazines than anyone in human history.

I don't want to pay to listen to him, unless I'm writing a book about
"good examples of a bad example".

Old March 19th 04, 02:05 AM
Leonard Martin

wrote:

Wayne Green W2NSD the editor of the former 73 Magazine
and David Booth (2004 Earth Changes) will be George Noorey's
special guest on Coast to Coast AM
Thursday/Friday evening.

On a 1 to 10 scale this show should be a 12 !!

All of these kooks should have disclaimers on their web sites that say
"For entertainment purposes only."

Once that poor lady named Barbara who used to do Coast to Coast on
weekends was stuck with Wayne for four hours. I listened for thirty
minutes, my gorge slowly rising, as he spewed smelly chunk after chunk
of typical Coast to Coast-type utterly baseless drivel, all delivered
without supporting evidence or citation, and in tones of absolute
authority, somewhat as if he Moses on the mount. Wayne Green, at least
when he appears on Coast to Coast, is as full of off-the-wall theories
and opinions as your local surly homeless man. No, I take that back.
He's worse! The fact that he's made a lot of money in his life
apparently means he's never been humbled enough to learn to apply even
the slightest pinch of doubt to his own opinions. He's as sublimely sure
of himself in his nonsense as a petty dictator to whom no-one has ever
said "No."

Leonard

--
"Everything that rises must converge"
--Flannery O'Connor
Old March 19th 04, 03:47 AM
Michael Black

Dave Bushong ) writes:
Sedina II wrote:
Wayne Green W2NSD the editor of the former 73 Magazine
and David Booth (2004 Earth Changes) will be George Noorey's
special guest on Coast to Coast AM
Thursday/Friday evening.

On a 1 to 10 scale this show should be a 12 !!

Show info for the above:
http://www.coasttocoastam.com/shows/2004/03/18.html

Main: http://www.coasttocoastam.com/

See also: http://www.whatdoesitmean.com/

Wayne Green. Loser extrordinaire. Failed more ham radio businesses and
magazines than anyone in human history.

I think he's a kook when he's on the show, because I sure
have not heard him talk of radio, but actually kooky things.

But I don't think it's fair to categorize him as a "loser".

He may have turned CQ around when he was editor in the fifties,
and most definitely one cannot say it was a bad magazine when
he was editor. While he was there, the first practical parametric
amplifer wsa described, along with a practical selectible sideband
synchronous detector. He drew various well known people to the magazine,
Sam Harris and John W. Campbell to name two (I can't remember if Don Stoner
was already there when Wayne took over as editor), as article writers or
columnists.

He left, and started 73. How do you rate a failed magazine? It lasted
over forty years, which is a pretty good life for an independent magazine.
Yes, it decayed badly in it's last ten years, but for 25 years or so
it was a pretty good construction magazine.

He started Byte, and while he lost it within three issues, I don't think
anyone can argue its success. But of course, it only lasted about 20 years.

He started Kilobaud, and it only lasted about 7 or 8 years. But then,
a whole slew of computer magazines, a field that he pretty muchs tarted,
died off at the same time.

He started various magazines dedicated to specific computers, which also
had a relatively limited run, but then, so did the computers they dealt
with. They, and Kilobaud for that matter, I don't think generally failed
under his watch, because he sold them off to IDG for a bundle.

He started a CD magazine, that maybe lasted ten years, but it was pretty
successful for a while. I'm pretty sure he sold it off, again for a bundle,
before it faded away.

Note that with a lot of his magazines that "failed", he was picking topics
that were on a rising curve, where there was a need for specialized
magazines because the topic was so new. They were a source of infortion,
a place to find ads for related items, and a place for advertisers to
reach the specialized field. As such things moved to the mainstream,
they lost steam becuse one could find information elsewhere, and for
that matter one needed the information maybe less because the topic
was all over the place. Take the CD magazine; it arrived when CDs
were relatively new and they could run a list of all CDs in each issue.
You likely had to go out of your way to find CDs, and you needed help
to decide which player to buy, since they were uncommon and quite expensive.
Now, you can buy the players everywhere, and for under a hundred dollars,
and you can find those CDs everywhere too.

Of course Wayne had some magazines that bombed really fast. But over
the same span, plenty of magazines have come and gone. Wayne had the money,
or gumption, to try magazines on new topics, and since he kept trying,
he was bound to fail sometimes. Others would stop after one failure.

How many ham businesses did he ever start? Radio Kits in the sixties?
A useful service for people who wanted to build what were in the magazines but
apparently it was always a money loser. There was a time when he could
publish books, because he had the press for 73. He stopped at some point,
does that make it a failure? He sold code tapes for some years, and then
that too faded away. Does that make it a failure?

Were there some I don't know about? I had suspicions about some advertising
in 73 in the sixties, that happened to be in New Hampshire near 73. Was
it Redline, that made converters? They didn't last too long, but plenty
of such small businesses came and went, even without Wayne's help.

He had his hands in multiple fields, because the core magazine, 73,
was successful enough that he could try other things. The computer magazines
were successful, likely some of them had greater readership than 73 at any
time in its history, and that meant he could try new things. When he
sold them off, the cash meant he could still try new things.

Sure, there was a period when 73 was part of IDG, but that was fallout
from selling the computer magazines. But basically, for over forty years
he was an independent publisher. He never had to go to a regular job,
never had to fallback on that when his projects failed. That has to
make him successful.

Hardly any magazines over the same period were published by independents.
Most were under big publishers. Independents had a tendency to fail.
Or, they'd be sold to the big publishers, and then had tendency to
disappear. Gernsback himself started an awful lot of magazines, and
most of them "failed" too, maybe faster than Wayne's. Gernsback,
the publisher, failed last year, killing it's last remaining magazine,
that basically hadn't had much of a life.

No, I think Wayne was pretty successful.

Michael VE2BVW

Old March 19th 04, 04:36 AM
Charles Gillen

(Michael Black) wrote:

No, I think Wayne was pretty successful.

I'd have to agree. Back in the late '70s (long before the IBM PC) Green
published "80-Micro" devoted to the Radio Shack TRS-80 (of which I owned
three or four, various models). It was a thick, hefty magazine with
tempting ads for expensive things like a 5-MB hard drive. Every issue
carried many program listings in Basic, or hex code which could be
laboriously keyboarded to produce an .exe file. I typed in most of them,
learning how to program in the process (and I'm sure MANY current old
programmers started out the same way), and eventually sold a few of my own
new programs to Wayne for publication.

Wayne was a pioneer, and the TRS-80 was the first "serious" (even with only
16K ram) computer most of us saw... it had a 64-column screen fine for word
processing, compared to only 40 or so on the Apple. The early TRS-80 had a
very bouncy keyboard, and I had a real epiphany about the power of software
when Wayne's magazine published a little software patch... I keyed it in
and the bounce went away for good.

I've never heard him on the radio and thus can't comment on whether his
current ideas are wacky or not, but his many contributions to ham radio and
home computing are indisputable.

Back on topic: once I even programmed a controller for my NRD-525 in
compiled basic with full dual VFOs and could control everything on the
receiver but the volume. Without Wayne, I might never have taught myself
how to do that :^)

--
Anti-Spam address: my last name at his dot com
Charles Gillen -- Reston, Virginia, USA
Old March 19th 04, 07:31 AM
Beerbarrel Boomer

"Michael Black" wrote in message

Hardly any magazines over the same period were published by independents.
Most were under big publishers. Independents had a tendency to fail.
Or, they'd be sold to the big publishers, and then had tendency to
disappear. Gernsback himself started an awful lot of magazines, and
most of them "failed" too, maybe faster than Wayne's. Gernsback,
the publisher, failed last year, killing it's last remaining magazine,
that basically hadn't had much of a life.

No, I think Wayne was pretty successful.

Michael VE2BVW

Gernsback and Green have/had two things in common.
Both sold cleverly veiled bull**** which was *dressed up*
as valid future science to geeks, nerds and fools. Modern day
PT Barnum's who wrap their circus act in 5-point colored
paper. Noorey and Bell do the same thing by giving them
and their ilk an occasional microphone today. If they
were not in print media or broadcasting, they all most certanly
would be selling pre-owned automobiles someplace, or perhaps
partners with shady local politicians.

Old March 19th 04, 10:38 AM
GO BEARCATS

Gernsback and Green have/had two things in common.
Both sold cleverly veiled bull**** which was *dressed up*
as valid future science to geeks, nerds and fools. Modern day
PT Barnum's who wrap their circus act in 5-point colored
paper. Noorey and Bell do the same thing by giving them
and their ilk an occasional microphone today. If they
were not in print media or broadcasting, they all most certanly
would be selling pre-owned automobiles someplace, or perhaps
partners with shady local politicians.

As guess that's why George booted that one guy off. This guy (Booth maybe?)

and another guy 'supposedly had a meeting with some lady about the 'Fatima' and
led George into thinking it was HUGE.

Then he wouldn't say what this five minute talk with this lady was about. He'd
as Steve would say -~~~**shuck and jive~*~*~and George got ****ed.

He told them he was going to a break and when they came back that would have to
disclose this 'terrible info' (part of the country will be dstroyed in
Sept.-Utah is one of them.

When they came back from break, George went to open lines, he said he owed it
to his audience. These guys acted like they had this terrible info-if you
purchased their tape....lol. George say "bye....you'll never be back on this
show."

Every caller thanked George for that, clealy this guy was about full of
crapola and acted like he was told this terrible info, but wouldn't share
it....lol.

Good for George. :-)

Old March 19th 04, 05:49 PM
Frank Dresser

"GO BEARCATS" wrote in message
[...]

David Booth and Wayne Green owed the show a story. It doesn't really
matter if the story is true but it has to be good. Noory got, at best,
half a story. David Booth couldn't deliver the goods. As if his book
could. I started thinking the book was ghost written, and Booth hasn't
reached the end yet.

If Noory really wanted to punish his lame guest, he should have
challenged him. Was Booth really summoned to the Fatima witness, or is
the story a crock? And what's the deal with his O'hare crash story,
anyway? I'm certainly not suggesting Noory treat all his guests as
frauds, only ones who want our money but don't want to talk.

Every caller thanked George for that, clealy this guy was about full

of
crapola and acted like he was told this terrible info, but wouldn't

share
it....lol.

Good for George. :-)

One caller made a point Noory could have made. Wayne Green was on the
show a few weeks ago and he was telling the audience about all his
wonderful ideas about the future. Now Green brings us a guy who says we
have no future.

I won't read David Booth's book. David Booth may not have read David
Booth's book. But, if there's anything good in there, we'll hear all
about it from Brother Stair.

Frank Dresser

Old March 19th 04, 06:34 PM
Dave Holford

Beerbarrel Boomer wrote:

Gernsback and Green have/had two things in common.
Both sold cleverly veiled bull**** which was *dressed up*
as valid future science to geeks, nerds and fools. Modern day
PT Barnum's who wrap their circus act in 5-point colored
paper. Noorey and Bell do the same thing by giving them
and their ilk an occasional microphone today. If they
were not in print media or broadcasting, they all most certanly
would be selling pre-owned automobiles someplace, or perhaps
partners with shady local politicians.

Aha, you've been reading his editorials, not his magazines.
That is the difference between entertainment and information.

Dave