Old March 20th 04, 03:06 AM
S R

Default Shortwave Antenna Help

I want to build an antenna for my shortwave radio. I live in an apartment.
So it would have to be something I could put near the window. No longer
then 3 feet.

My idea is having 2 wires in a coil. Wrapped around PVC tubing on each end.
It would look like the letter T. ( I am not sure which size of tubing to
use).

I am not sure how many feet of wire.

Which type of wire.

Should the wire be shield or not shield.

If not shield, then when I wrap the wire, can it touch itself in the turn or
must it be spaced apart?

Then comes the end of the two wires. What do I use to solder to then plug
into my portable radio?

And is their a way I could make a tuner and have the wires connected to that
first then to the radio?

Thanks.

73

Old March 20th 04, 03:30 PM
RHF

SR,

Consider a simple-to-make Dual Slinky Dipole Antenna using
two "Mini-Slinkys" Stretched-Out Horizontally; that is fed
with 300 Ohm "TV" Twin Lead and connected to your Radio via
the HI-Z (500 Ohm) Terminals.
..
NOTE: If you are using a 'portable' Shortwave Radio that uses
an 1/8" Mono-Plug for an External Antenna Input. Then use a
"300 to 75 Ohm 1/8" Mini-Plug Adapter" between the Antenna and
the Radio. The 1/8" Mini-Plug Adapter to functions as an
interface (Matching Transformer) for External SWL Antenna
Signal to any 'portable' Radio that uses 1/8" Mono-Jack Input.
The Twin Lead is connected to the two 300 Ohm Screw Terminals
and the 1/8" Mono-Plug is plugged into the Radio.
RadioShack Catalog #: 15-1148
R/S-CAT= http://tinyurl.com/2k2eu
..
The '99 Cent' Slinky - For "Slinky" Antenna Experminters
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...na/message/852
Two Metal Springy Thingys {AKA} Slinky Junior and Mini-Slinky
..
Simple and basic Vertical "SLINKY" Antenna & Tuner {All-in-One}
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...na/message/851
..
The SLINKY on a "Hula Hoop" Loop Antenna
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...na/message/858
..
About using a "SLINKY" as an Antenna - by John Doty
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...na/message/850
..
..
REMEMBER: "The AM/MW and Shortwave Antenna is 55.5% . . .
of the Radio/Receiver and Antenna/Ground Reception Equation"
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...na/message/288
A Shortwave Antenna is "Equally" Important for Good Reception [.]
..
..
iane ~ RHF
..
Some Say: On A Clear Day You Can See Forever.
I BELIEVE: On A Clear Night...
You Can Hear Forever and Beyond - The Beyond !
..
..
= = = ...

Old March 20th 04, 09:09 PM
The Axelrods

Try the AMANDX site below. Several articles in simple language that will help you out.

-
73 and Best of DX
Shawn Axelrod

Visit the AMANDX DX site with info for the new or experienced listener:

http://www.angelfire.com/mb/amandx/index.html

REMEMBER ON A CLEAR DAY YOU CAN HEAR FOREVER

Old March 20th 04, 09:35 PM
Dean

S R wrote:
[...]

Type "broomstick antenna" into google. The DX guy from Cuba has some
good projects.
Old March 21st 04, 08:58 AM
starman

S R wrote:

[...]

Before you start building indoor antennas, try putting at least 10-ft of
fine wire (#30 enameled magnet wire) out through a second story window
or higher. You can put a small weight like a washer on the end to make
the wire hang down the side of the building (not really necessary) but
make sure the weight doesn't hit any window below. No one is likely to
see this 'invisible' antenna wire unless they're looking for it. Connect
the other end of the wire to the whip antenna on your portable. Be sure
to remove some of the enameled insulation (using sand paper) to expose
the bare copper wire where it connects to the whip.

Old March 21st 04, 09:36 PM
Richard Beri

starman wrote:

Before you start building indoor antennas, try putting at least 10-ft of
fine wire (#30 enameled magnet wire) out through a second story window
or higher. You can put a small weight like a washer on the end to make
the wire hang down the side of the building (not really necessary) but
make sure the weight doesn't hit any window below. No one is likely to
see this 'invisible' antenna wire unless they're looking for it. Connect
the other end of the wire to the whip antenna on your portable. Be sure
to remove some of the enameled insulation (using sand paper) to expose
the bare copper wire where it connects to the whip.

I have found that I get better results wrapping the insulated wire
around the whip of my receiver (only in about a 2-3 turn coil) than
attaching it directly with an alligator clip, it seems to me there is
less noise this way. Another thing, I grounded the wire to a copper
pipe where it comes into the house. I don't know if this does anything,
but I read somewhere that this was advisable so it removes static
electricity that can build up in the wire.
Old March 23rd 04, 01:15 AM
S R

I want to build a out-door antenna.

Your idea is great, but where could I find that type of wire?

I am sure Radio Shack doesn't carry it. All of there wires are shield.

73

LongWire Antenna Jim B Shortwave 5 March 2nd 04 09:36 AM
Understanding Shortwave Radio Listening and Antenna Design and Construction RHF Shortwave 3 February 13th 04 07:16 AM
Poor quality low + High TV channels? How much dB in Preamp? lbbs Shortwave 16 December 13th 03 03:01 PM
Question for better antenna mavens than I Tony Meloche Shortwave 7 October 28th 03 09:16 AM