Old March 21st 04, 12:32 PM
Ray

Default recommendation

I am new to sw and am looking for a radio to do a.m.broadcast dxing.
Would appreciate any recommendations you have. Not really into anything
but am. thanks, Ray

Old March 21st 04, 12:50 PM
Volker Tonn

Ray schrieb:

I am new to sw and am looking for a radio to do a.m.broadcast dxing.
Would appreciate any recommendations you have. Not really into anything
but am. thanks, Ray

Going into real DXing get a tabletop receiver of the US$ 500 class and
up. The Drake R8 series, Kenwood 5000 or the JRC NRD-series is what you
want for DXing. Get a good used one and you will be happy. Do not think,
there is no need for SSB for catching DX AM-stations.
At least a good length of antenna wire(s) outdoor is a real need.

Old March 21st 04, 04:23 PM
The Axelrods

Ray wrote:

I am new to sw and am looking for a radio to do a.m.broadcast dxing.
Would appreciate any recommendations you have. Not really into
anything but am. thanks, Ray

Over the years I have used a few radios for my AM DX'ing:

GE Superadio...very good but with no digital read out hard to tell what
freq you may be on exactly

Drake R8 nice radio good filter selection and you can use SSB for
sharper freq control and narrower band widths

ICOM ICR-70 my favorite great sensitivity good filters using SSB for
tough catches and split frequencies PBT for and RIT for real fine tuning

--
73 and Best of DX
Shawn Axelrod

Visit the AMANDX DX site with info for the new or experienced listener:

http://www.angelfire.com/mb/amandx/index.html

REMEMBER ON A CLEAR DAY YOU CAN HEAR FOREVER

Old March 22nd 04, 12:15 AM
Philip Campbell

How much $$$ do you want to spend?

Old March 22nd 04, 01:55 AM
CAndersen (Kimba)

"Philip Campbell" wrote:

How much $$$ do you want to spend?

Probably the most important question to lead to a decent answer.

Keeping to the low-$ end, I would recommend a Tecsun BCL-2000 over the
Superadio because the two are roughly equivalent in performance and the
Tecsun has a nice accurate digital frequency readout.

--
Reply address munged. You can figure it out.