Old March 25th 04, 02:20 AM
jtaylor

Default remote control for Philips DC777?

There's a connector on the back and a brief mention in the manual for/of a
remote control.

Anyone have any more information?

Old May 19th 05, 11:21 PM
Junior Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaylor
There's a connector on the back and a brief mention in the manual for/of a
remote control.

Anyone have any more information?
I have 3 Philips DC777 and am awaiting a fourth and have not seen a remote. My understanding it is wired, not wireless like the indas Sony shortwave recivers.
Old May 20th 05, 01:34 PM
jtaylor

"Jethro Bodine" wrote in message

jtaylor Wrote:
There's a connector on the back and a brief mention in the manual for/of
remote control.

Anyone have any more information?

I have 3 Philips DC777 and am awaiting a fourth and have not seen a
remote. My understanding it is wired, not wireless like the indas Sony
shortwave recivers.

Here's what I found via google, and below a source for the connectors:
=======================
Back in April, Mark Fine ) posted information
about the remote control wiring for the DC777.

To recap his info, the remote control does its thing by closing a
switch between two out of the seven terminals on the remote control
socket. Mark listed the functions and the associated pins as follows:

Volume Up : pins 1&6 or 7&6
Volume Down : pins 1&5 or 7&5
Bank Up : pins 3&6
AST : pins 2&6
Mode : pins 2&5
Scan : pins 1&4 or 7&4
Switch AM-FM : pins 3&4

Mark's analysis was apparently based on his disection of the remote
control unit; he did not give pin number identification information at
the radio end. By experimentation, I have concluded that the pins
numbers relate to the radio end thusly:

----------------------------

----| | of the radio, this is
| 5 3 1 | the connector at
------------------------ the top right.

This would not be how Philips designated the pin numbers on the radio,
but it relates the numbering to the assignment above, which is
(presumably) how they were numbered on the remote control box.

Mark stated that "Mode" allows you to switch between radio and
cassette operation. He did not indicate what "Bank Up" was. At least
in AM/FM operation it sequentially goes thru the preset buttons.

Scan will go either up or down, depending on which scan button on the
radio was last pushed.

The reason I looked into this so I could install a button on the dash
board to do the Scan function. Between the itsy-bitsy size of the
buttons on the radio and the low radio mounting position on my car, it
was difficult to scan. I have solved the problem with a button on the
dash near the steering wheel.

I tried several audio stores looking for a connector to mate with the
radio. No one had such a beast. One place suggested that it looked
like the connectors used on Volkswagen radios. The next place gave me
some slip-on terminals that worked well with the radio's connector
terminals. Since I was only going to use two wires to do the job, I
went with the slip-ons.

I hope this information is helpful to the DC777 user community.

--
Al Friedrich Raleigh, NC, USA

===========================

For the connector, I went first to a hi-end car radio shop and the fellow
hemmed and hawed and said it looked like a cd connector, for european radios
that had a remote cd deck option. He dissappeared, and came back in 5
minutes with the right item. $85 please. I said I'd look a little further.
Went to the guy who wrecks old vw's. He dug a dirty one out of the toolbox
and said it wasn't worth anything to him, so free.

Old May 21st 05, 07:31 PM
David

Jethro -- where did you get your 777s? I have one with a bad display and
have been looking for another one unsuccessfully for years.

Anybody else know where I might get a DC-777? I cn't even find one on Ebay.

Thanks.