Old March 27th 04, 07:13 AM
WShoots1

A long time trucker told me last year that "Good Buddy" now refers to gay
truckers, of which there are quite a few I understand. I recall they have their
own page at a trucker web site.

Bill, K5BY
Old March 27th 04, 07:26 AM
RHF

= = = "Corbin Ray" wrote in message
= = = ...

My wife is selling her old Lafayette tube CB on eBay right now. We got it
out and played with it for a little while to see if it worked. It was so
cool to watch the tubes heat up before the radio would work. Once they got
warm, we hooked a speaker to it and put in PA mode and drove the cats crazy
for a while, before she boxed it all back up.

She and I both spent many hours chatting on our home and mobile CBs back in
the mid 70s, back before she and ever met each other. We actually chatted
with each other part of the time, but she had her good buddies and I had
mine. We drifted apart, married other people, and found each other again 8
years ago. But I digress.

In a wistful moment today, I said it's a shame our kids will never know the
fun of getting on the radio and chatting with people across town. Then she
reminded me that her kids do the same thing, but it's called AIM and MSN.

But they'll never appreciate radio like we do. Sigh...

CB,

Try a Nextel Celphone with the "Walky-Talky" feature.

At least the CBers were in they Cars and Trucks and
NOT setting next to you in a restaurant or at the movies.

jm2cw ~ RHF

..
Old March 27th 04, 08:02 AM
GO BEARCATS

Whatever happened to CB ?
As a tool ? ... as a hobby ?

I plan on hooking one up, either the 29LTD Classic (stock) or the 148GTL (which
would be my preference.)

With a couple scanners and a shortwave and I'd be wired for sound. ;-)

~*~*Monitoring The AirWaves~*~
*****GO BEARCATS*****
Hammarlund HQ129X /Heathkit Q Multiplier
Hammarlund HQ140X
Multiple GE P-780's(GREAT BCB Radios)
RCA Victor *Strato- World*
RCA Victor RJC77W-K(Walnut Grain)
1942 Zenith Wane Magnet 6G 601M
Cathedral/ Ross#2311/RhapsodyMultiBand
DX100/394/398/399/402
OMGS Transistor Eight/Realistic 12-1451
Henry Kloss Model One/Bell+Howell
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Old March 27th 04, 08:05 AM
GO BEARCATS

It is a dead band and will get even worse if code is removed
from the ham license.

I don't know about that WG, I can't see it, at least out here.

Just about everywhere you see a CB antenna.

Old March 27th 04, 10:12 AM
WG

When I was running my 101 and my Antron-99 I use to get the odd person from
Surrey and the odd chit-chat on 38 but that was about 6 or 7 years ago now
nothing. The 100D runs 100 watts out on SSB and I can't even get a local
radio check but no trouble with skip.

Gregg
*It's probably useful, even if it can't be SPICE'd*
http://geek.scorpiorising.ca

Hi neighbor!

I live in Abbotsford and there's plenty of evening chit-chat in the
valley here. Daytime skipshooting above 40 from us SSB'ers.

But yeah, I know what you mean about the East Indians - those that
haven't gone to FRS sure plug-up the band on AM during harvest.

Old March 27th 04, 02:11 PM
Dee D. Flint

"Corbin Ray" wrote in message
[...]

Rediscover the magic of radio by becoming an amateur radio operator. There
are so many marvelous things to do these days. Check out www.arrl.org

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old March 27th 04, 07:46 PM
Telamon

In article ,
"Dee D. Flint" wrote:

"Corbin Ray" wrote in message
[...]

I have listened to ham radio and did not hear any magic only boring
conversations.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old March 27th 04, 09:08 PM
Tracy Fort

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 19:46:08 GMT, Telamon
wrote:

In article ,
"Dee D. Flint" wrote:

"Corbin Ray" wrote in message
[...]

Finally decide to quit spanking your telamonkey long enough to
listen?

Tracy
Old March 27th 04, 09:35 PM
Tony Meloche

Telamon wrote:

In article ,
"Dee D. Flint" wrote:

"Corbin Ray" wrote in message
[...]

I think ham radio operators are good folks, and they can be
lifesavers in emergency situations - willing to stay at the mike for 24
hours straight if need be.

But aside from that - I have to agree. Most of them are bores. 45
minutes on changing a tire on one's car is a typical ham conversation.
Better than Sominex.

Tony