Old March 27th 04, 07:31 AM
Bill Jones

Default New 909 and hiss

hello all,

forgive this newbie question, but I just got a Sangean ATS 909 and I am
wondering about the audio/signal quality... with headphones or using
the speaker I notice a lot of hiss or low level noise sitting on top of
the signal... even on a very clear local FM channel, I hear this
noise/hiss... it is particularly noticeable at low volume settings...
and it seems impossible to turn the volume all the way down? in
contrast the same local FM channel is very clean on my cheapy Grundig
FR-200... do I have something set incorrectly, or is the 909 just like
this? the freq doesn't seem to matter, it's always there...

thanks for your help,

B.

Old March 27th 04, 01:46 PM
Al Arduengo

Bill Jones writes:

hello all,

forgive this newbie question, but I just got a Sangean ATS 909 and I
am wondering about the audio/signal quality... with headphones or
using the speaker I notice a lot of hiss or low level noise sitting on
top of the signal... even on a very clear local FM channel, I hear
this noise/hiss... it is particularly noticeable at low volume
settings... and it seems impossible to turn the volume all the way
down? in contrast the same local FM channel is very clean on my cheapy
Grundig FR-200... do I have something set incorrectly, or is the 909
just like this? the freq doesn't seem to matter, it's always there...

thanks for your help,

B.

Hi Bill,

The hiss definately should not be there on FM as long as the station
is reasonably close. Are you using any sort of external antenna?
What are the conditions of your listening environment (room)? I just
bought a 909 as well and do not have the hiss problem. I will agree
that it cannot be turned all the way down. Granted it is extremely
close to all the way, but not quite. I suggest you exchange it for a
different one if possible. Assuming your dealer is local and does so,
it would be the quickest way to remedy your hissing problem.

Best,
--
~/.signature