Old April 1st 04, 12:45 PM
Manlio Laschena

Default problem with serial gate and HF Fax

On an Acer travelmate I use the serial gate to feed HF Fax signals
from a controller interface to SSB receiver.

Happens that the received image makes small jumps to the left at
regular intervals. Resulting an image with large left shifted stripes.

This seems due to some PC activity interrupting the incoming data
stream for very short spot, but enough to cause that jump.

First idea was to disable battery status checker and Power management
system, but I got no result.

Do you have any other idea ? to make test on it ?
Thanks
Manlio
Manlio Laschena
http://Delphi-Jedi.org
Old April 1st 04, 07:36 PM
Mark Keith

Manlio Laschena wrote in message . ..
On an Acer travelmate I use the serial gate to feed HF Fax signals
from a controller interface to SSB receiver.

Happens that the received image makes small jumps to the left at
regular intervals. Resulting an image with large left shifted stripes.

This seems due to some PC activity interrupting the incoming data
stream for very short spot, but enough to cause that jump.

First idea was to disable battery status checker and Power management
system, but I got no result.

Do you have any other idea ? to make test on it ?
Thanks
Manlio
Manlio Laschena
http://Delphi-Jedi.org

Gotta find whats accessing the drive, or CPU. Make sure no virus
protection running. You might want to totally shut down all unused
programs before you run fax. Ctrl-alt-delete will let you do that, or
you can get programs to shut everything down. "IE: game launchpad,
etc"..I've seen quite a few people have this trouble when running
SSTV. Usually, you will notice a HD access when that happens. Watch
the red light...BTW, make sure no BIOS anti virus is running either.
You might be able to use Dr.Watson to find the running process, if you
can't nail it down. MK
Old April 2nd 04, 07:43 AM
Manlio Laschena

Followup to msg on 1 Apr 2004 10:36:54 -0800, (Mark
Keith) :
(Original msg on bottom)

Mark,
thanks a lot for answering.

Unfortunately your suggestion is so correct that has been first thing
to do.
As this Travelmate is used on a sailing boat, just to get weather
forecasts, is almost without charged programs.
I mean that the running items are reduced to a minimum, neither virus
screening as I don't connect to the Net. No activity from the disk
during scanning shifts.

I contacted the producer of the MScan Meteo and they told me this is a
known problem and is due to system activity that generally reside on
Power control System or Video, but I was unable to findout it.
I disabled also frpm bios game port etc, with no result.
People from Acer doesn't answer my question.

I am just mumbling from days to find out what is ... as always happens
must be a stupid thing ... laughing at me !

Thanks for support.
Manlio