Old April 1st 04, 08:22 PM
Moe

Default Satellit 800 + Antenna w/ Preselector - Request for comments

Hi Group,

I'm an "apartment dweller" in the crowded Dallas metroplex, with a
Grundig Satellit 800. Setting up an outside antenna in the patio isn't
an option. U see, the "fine", anally retentive apartment complex
managment folks would crossify me for having the thought crossing my
mind

After reading pretty much all reviews in "Passport to World .." and
reading this group's posts, I've decided to try a (#1) slinky dipole
antenna (found on eBay from 3 or 4 basement-based manufacturers) along
with a (#2) Vectronics AT-100 preselector (to filter and boost).

I'm to extend the slinky antenna inside the apartment along the
longest straight ceiling stretch which is about 25 or 26 feet (The
overall wire length used in making the two slinkies is 150 ft) to come
down via a coaxial and into the AT-100 and from there into the
Satellit 800.

My question is, is this type of antenna directional? I'm primarly
interested in weaker West Europe stations, should I point it to the
east? or should I just stretch it along the longest clear path??

Also, what do you think of my overall thinking/approach, and do you
think this approx $110 spent on the antenna and preselector better be
spent elsewhere? I'm VERY new to this and will benefit from any
constructive advise/comment.

Thanks in advance,

Moe
Old April 1st 04, 08:30 PM
N8KDV

Moe wrote:

[...]

Rather than spend the $110 in your situation it may be better to simply
add some wire along the ceiling and alligator clip it to the whip antenna
or plug it into the antenna jack of the receiver if it has one.

Later on you might wish to get a preselector, but even in this case it may
simply be overkill. You are in a bad receiving situation, and tossing a
bunch of money at it may not solve it.

Start off simple first!

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

Old April 1st 04, 08:50 PM
Dave

"N8KDV" wrote in message

Moe wrote:

[...]

I don't know much, being fairly new to all this myself, but would agree with
what Steve says. Buy 20 or 30 feet of small guage wire and a small fishing
weight to hang out the window and wrap the end around your whip antenna. I
am in Houston, near the ship channel, and finally got around to adding
something vaguely external to my DX-402 (same as Sangean ATS 505). I tossed
a wire up onto the roof of my house and then ran it in the bedroom window to
clip to my whip. Can hardly believe the difference it makes. And just
bringing the wire near my whip does the job with inductive coupling. I
really don't need the alligator clip I soldered on. Now I pick up BBC on
5975 kHz like it's next door. Actually have to set the DX/Local switch to
local because otherwise my radio is *too* sensitive, resulting in a somewhat
trashy sound from all the extra noise in the background. Other side of the
coin is that some broadcasts, like the 1300 UTC Voice of Korea, now come in
loud and clear where they used to be barelly audible and totally
unintelligable. About 30 feet of wire and I'm like a kid with a new toy. I
was thinking about paying for a filter/booster like you, and now don't think
I need it. Try adding a few feet of wire, and let us know what you come up
with.

Dave

Old April 1st 04, 09:05 PM
Burr

I use/used the Sony AN-1 and it works fine, it's small, you could set
outside or mount it and it's just a little antenna pole.

Don't hang yourself on all that wire.

Burr

Old April 1st 04, 09:13 PM
GrtPmpkin32

Buy 20 or 30 feet of small guage wire and a small fishing
weight to hang out the window and wrap the end around your whip antenna.

It might be better to use a small plastic ball, or piece of fabric, something
heavy enough to give 'some' weight (you don't need much, the antenna doesn't
have to be straight as an arrow to receive) but something which also, in case
the antenna breaks or falls, won't cause any real harm to any people, cars or
windows below. Years ago a friend and I discovered that even a small weight
can, when buffeted by winds, pendulum itself into enough velocity to crack a
lower story window, then the antenna wire snapped, and the little 2 oz. weight
tumbled another two stories to the concrete, and if anyone had been under it,
it could have given them a nasty knock. Just something to consider.
But heck yes, getting ANY kind of extra wire outside or strung around the
ceiling will improve reception over what he's using now, and one doesn't need
to spend real money to get as good an improvement as that $100 experiment would
give.
Linus

Old April 3rd 04, 02:40 PM
RHF

MOE,

FIRST - Check-Out the Grundig Satellit 800 Millennium eGroyp on YAHOO !

Second - Read any and all of these Messages about using Antennas
with the Grundig Satellit 800 Millennium.

* Concerning the Grundig Satellit 800 Millennium's
Mega Sized WHIP Antenna with Pre-Amplifier for
Shortwave Listening. READ "GS800M's Whip Antenna"
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Satellit800/message/4176

* Grundig Satellit 800-M ? Do I Need an External Antenna ?

* Antenna Options for the Grundig Satellit 800 Millennium Radio
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...na/message/486
{ And the Parts that are required Cost Under $5 }

* Improving the Grundig Satellit 800 M's AM/MW Reception for DXing
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...na/message/865

* Pair of Active "InDoor" Antennas for AM/MW and SW Reception
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...nna/message/87
Both work well with the Grundig Satellit 800 Millennium Radio.
One for AM/MW and the other for Shortwave.
..
..
REMEMBER: "The AM/MW and Shortwave Antenna is 55.5% . . .
of the Radio/Receiver and Antenna/Ground Reception Equation"
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...na/message/288
A Shortwave Antenna is "Equally" Important for Good Reception [.]
..
..
iane ~ RHF
..
Some Say: On A Clear Day You Can See Forever.
I BELIEVE: On A Clear Night...
You Can Hear Forever and Beyond - The Beyond !
..
..