Old April 4th 04, 02:34 AM
4nradio

Default PNG & Indonesia Loggings

INDONESIA 3325, RRI Palangkaraya, 1136-1141 Mar. 29 good signal with female
announcer mentioning Palangkaraya and Indonesia. (Atkins-WA)

INDONESIA 3976.06, RRI Pontianak, 1108-1124 Mar. 29 noted with Jakarta news
relay // Makassar 4750, and local programming with female announcer 1122.
Very good signal. (Atkins-WA)

INDONESIA 4606.4, RRI Serui, 1218-1222 Mar. 29 two male announcers in
animated discussion in Indonesian, and taking phone calls. Mentions of
various Indo cities. Fair to good level. (Atkins-WA)

INDONESIA 4790, RRI Fak-Fak, 1124-1215 Mar. 29 loud signal here with
romantic R&B tunes all in English, uninterrupted to Jakarta news relay at
1200. Local "Fak-Fak" ID by male announcer noted at 1208. Some swisher QRM.
(Atkins-WA)

PAPUA NEW GUINEA 3205, R. West Sepik, 1032-1042 Mar. 29 PNG land commission
member being interviewed by female announcer in English; comparisons
between PNG and other countries land use policies. Fair signal. (Atkins-WA)

PAPUA NEW GUINEA 3335, R. East Sepik, 1143-1205* Mar. 29 with weak level of
male and female announcers in English; seemed to be discussing parlimentary
votes & government issues. Familiar PNG wild birdcall & drums fanfare at
1200, brief filler music, then "Radio East Sepik" ID, frequency, and
timecheck by male announcer at 1203. National anthem & sign-off 1205*.
Surprisingly, after about 30 sec. of carrier, Sepik(?) came back on MUCH
stronger with a canned PNG public service announcement in English and into
rock and roll music to 1211, and off abruptly. Engineers testing
transmitter? (Atkins-WA)

PAPUA NEW GUINEA 3355, R. Simbu, 1033-1100 Mar. 29 Sermon or Bible reading
by man in Pidgin; many mentions of HIV/Aids at 1055 and phone interview
with health worker or doctor. Nice Melanesian folk music at 1056; quick
"Radio Simbu" ID and "good night" at 1058. Female announcer in Pidgin with
"Karai bilong Mambu" ID, and "Radio Simbu IDs again at 1100. Good signal
level. (Atkins-WA)

PAPUA NEW GUINEA 3905, R. New Ireland, 1106-1115 Mar. 29 female announcer in
English with news items; mentions of PNG and various provinces. Good signal
level but tough copy, and equal level with presumed RRI Merauke in
Indonesian. (Atkins-WA)

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA USA
modified RA6790GM and R-75 receivers
Kiwa MAP / ERGO software / 700 ft. West Beverage ant.

Old April 4th 04, 06:26 AM
4nradio

Thanks for the nice words, Michael and Steve. Hopefully some DXers who read
R.R.S. will benefit from my occasional posts. I know that South Pacific and
Asian DX is a tougher catch from the Eastern US and Midwest. I certainly
benefit from loggings of African stations made by those on the other side of
the country from me... that part of the world isn't so easy from the Pacific
NW!

Interestingly, the very best signals I've ever heard from Africa have been
via longpath at local sunrise, with a Beverage antenna pointed *southwest*.
The openings are brief, but can be very strong. One of the best of these was
Channel Africa (4950 kHz? can't recall exact freq.), which you can hear
among other interesting DX audio clips in my PowerPoint presentation of
DXpeditions from the Pacific Northwest: http://www.dxing.info/dxpeditions/
Look under the "Grayland, WA" section and you'll see the link for download.

Steve, are you still active in the MARE group? The MARE guide to
DXpeditioning was extremely helpful to me when I started getting serious
about DXpeditions years ago.

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA

Old April 4th 04, 06:30 AM
N8KDV

4nradio wrote:

[...]

No Guy, I believe I left MARE maybe around 8 years or so ago. I was QSL editor
for a number of years, and a founding member of the group.

Old April 4th 04, 03:01 PM
Ken Wilson

Hello Guy,

Thanks for the loggings here.

I would assume you were using the Racal.

BTW When are we going to get a comparison between the 6790GM & the Kiwa mod
R75 ?

I have bid on a couple of 6790GM's but they all went to high for me.
Someday.

One other note. Do you still have the Roanwell headphones you used many
years ago ?

73, Ken KG4BIG

4nradio wrote in message

Old April 4th 04, 10:46 PM
4nradio

Hi Ken,

I was using both the Racal and the modded ICOM R-75, flipping back and forth
between them for "A-B" tests. I use John Bryant's nifty audio switching
network (see http://www.dxing.info/equipment/audio_switch.dx for the
circuit).

Thanks for reminding me about the comparison review I proposed for the R75
Yahoogroup. I've already modified the Racal a bit, so it's been "hotrodded"
too. I'll try to get to that soon, as the differences in the receivers are
becoming more apparent.

Roanwell headphones, eh? Boy, you have a good memory! I'd even forgotten I'd
owned that model. At the time it was the best set of 'phones I'd ever
encountered for voice reproduction. I've been through some other headsets
since then, including David Clark and Avcomm aviation models. The set I keep
coming back to, however, is the Sennheiser HD-525 headphones I own. They are
extremely comfortable and have a crispness and accuracy of reproduction I
haven't encountered in lesser models. If you can find a set they usually go
for around $50-60 on Ebay. I like to use them along with a Timewave DSP
audio filter when I desire a narrow voice frequency range for DX. Otherwise,
"wide open" they sound great on clear signals, for fidelity. I also have a
fairly good Radio Shack scanner-type headset that I've fitted with
gell-filled earpads for comfort and noise supression.

The Racals are pretty common on the surplus market now, and I don't think
they are being sought after by collectors, so the prices remain decent. Try
to snag one that has been refurbished by the Racal guru, Gary Wingerd.

73,

Guy

Old April 10th 04, 05:48 AM
John Plimmer

Really nice catches there Guy = well done.
Have got those from Jozi, but not this QTH
What happened to your AOR7030?
I thought you were married to it....

South 33 d 47 m 540 s, East 20 d 07 m 541 s.
RX Drake R8B, SW8
BW XCR 30, Braun T1000, Sangean 818 & 803A.
Hallicrafters SX-100, Eddystone 940
GE circa 50's radiogram
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop

"4nradio" wrote in message
[...]

Florida Mil Comms Loggings - Mon, 17 May 2004 AllanStern Scanner 0 May 18th 04 04:16 AM
Voice of Indonesia N8KDV Shortwave 3 December 15th 03 04:37 PM
Patrick AFB Area Mil Comms Loggings AllanStern Scanner 0 November 11th 03 09:23 AM
Shortwave Loggings Keke Goldfeller Shortwave 3 October 21st 03 06:40 PM
Pirate Radio Loggings Database Chris Smolinski Shortwave 3 August 4th 03 10:12 PM