Old April 8th 04, 03:24 PM
JP

Default F/S Hallicrafters Model S-38

I have an old Hallicrafters 1946 SW Model S-38. I turned it on and got some
stations on it with a wire antenna. All tubes light up, dial light works. I
found the instructions tucked inside the radio, they were removed before I
tried it. Make an offer. Email to

Old April 8th 04, 09:24 PM
warren

On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 14:24:09 GMT, "JP"
wrote:

I have an old Hallicrafters 1946 SW Model S-38. I turned it on and got some
stations on it with a wire antenna. All tubes light up, dial light works. I
found the instructions tucked inside the radio, they were removed before I
tried it. Make an offer. Email to

Look on eBay to get an idea whart they are selling for and how they
are described. No one will buy a "pig in a poke". You need to put an
asking price and a better description before most people will consider
purchasing it.

What is the condition? Just because it lights up doesn't mean it
works.

Just some friendly advice.

Warren
Old April 9th 04, 05:23 AM
WShoots1

I had owned three of those over the decades and I can't remember how I disposed
of any of them. Hmm...

Bill, K5BY
Old April 9th 04, 06:42 AM
donutbandit

warren wrote in
:

Look on eBay to get an idea whart they are selling for and how they
are described.

Anywhere from $5 - $50, depending on the condition. These were not rare at
any time, and still aren't.
Old April 9th 04, 12:21 PM
Charlie B.

Hi, I have a Hallicrafters S-38E that I receives as a birthday present
from my parents in 1957. Over the years it became more or less
outdated, electronically (single coonversion, analog tuninf,etc.} As a
novelty/nostolgia receiver it is fine and connected to a decent
antenna and ground its capable of picking up the major broadcasters. I
wouldn,t sell mine, only because its full of memories for me. It's
definately not a DX macine but it is a nice visual peice for the
listening post. Over thhe years it's been reliable, just the
occasional tube and a recapping back inn 1979.
Regards,
Charlie -

Old April 10th 04, 04:56 AM
Mark Keith

(Charlie B.) wrote in message . com...
Hi, I have a Hallicrafters S-38E that I receives as a birthday present
from my parents in 1957. Over the years it became more or less
outdated, electronically (single coonversion, analog tuninf,etc.} As a
novelty/nostolgia receiver it is fine and connected to a decent
antenna and ground its capable of picking up the major broadcasters. I
wouldn,t sell mine, only because its full of memories for me. It's
definately not a DX macine but it is a nice visual peice for the
listening post. Over thhe years it's been reliable, just the
occasional tube and a recapping back inn 1979.
Regards,
Charlie -

A friend of mine used one of those as his first receiver. This was
back when we were in jr.hi school...We built homebrew 6v6 transmitters
to yik yak on 40m cw. I used to go over and operate on his setup
sometimes...The S-38 had an annoying quirk when working CW...If you
hit the table with your knee, the radio suddenly jumped off down the
band, never to return unless you got lucky... Not the most stable
thing I've ever seen...Many times we would start working people, but
hit the table, and never find them again.... He finally upgraded to
a halliscratchers sx-40, which was fairly decent in comparion. I've
got an old National receiver which is very similar to a S-38 in basic
design and coverage.
But I've never plugged it in to see if it works, even though it's been
sitting here for years...I just keep it around as a decorative room
object. :/
MK
Old April 10th 04, 05:31 AM
Frank Dresser

"Mark Keith" wrote in message
om...
-

A friend of mine used one of those as his first receiver. This was
back when we were in jr.hi school...We built homebrew 6v6 transmitters
to yik yak on 40m cw. I used to go over and operate on his setup
sometimes...The S-38 had an annoying quirk when working CW...If you
hit the table with your knee, the radio suddenly jumped off down the
band, never to return unless you got lucky... Not the most stable
thing I've ever seen...Many times we would start working people, but
hit the table, and never find them again....

That was probably caused by those goofy cut plates on the bandspread part of
the tuning capacitor. The plates have the profile of the linear frequency
type used on the some of the old TRFs. I have no idea why they used such an
unbalanced plate design for the radio's bandspread. It doesn't even work as
a linear type with all the capacitance of the main tuning cap in parallel.
The tuning rate gets faster as the bandspread cap is closed.

He finally upgraded to
a halliscratchers sx-40, which was fairly decent in comparion. I've
got an old National receiver which is very similar to a S-38 in basic
design and coverage.
But I've never plugged it in to see if it works, even though it's been
sitting here for years...I just keep it around as a decorative room
object. :/
MK

Probably real easy to recap! Not much else goes wrong with these type of
radios.

Frank Dresser

Old April 10th 04, 11:32 AM
Charlie B.

The recap was very easy plently of room to unsolder/solder as
everything was basically on the chassis. I did make one additional
purchase an EICO (remember them?)
Q Multip0-lier that I had my dad help me figure out how to install.
The one thing that I learned to do was replace the dial cords, as they
freyed with heavy use. The stability in AM/CW/SSB left alot to be
desired but its a fun set, the dial had all thode countries printed on
it, but with no particular point to set the dial marker to. The newer
digital rreceivers make tuning a frequency next to impossible to botch
up unless you cant read numbers.

Regards
Chaz
Old April 10th 04, 09:28 PM
Mark Keith

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message ...
"Mark Keith" wrote in message

Probably real easy to recap! Not much else goes wrong with these type of
radios.

Frank Dresser

Yea, I wouldn't be surprised if it worked. Maybe with a little hummmm
though...
But I never had much use for it, so never have bothered with it. I
sometimes wonder how the MW might be on it, but when you have usual
newer radios, and also a 58 TO, and a big 48 RCA console, it starts to
look a bit lackluster..I notice the chassis will be hot with line
voltage on that old thing...Probably a good subject for a isolation
tranny to make it safe. MK