Old April 9th 04, 01:42 AM
N8KDV

Default Hong Kong Yacht Race

Here's additional information I've gleaned from a closer reading of the
yacht race document I was sent. Evidently the April 19-23rd dates I gave

originally were for boats heading to the Philippines *after* the Hong
Kong
race. The actual China Sea Hong Kong Yacht race has just started, and
the
weather broadcast schedule is below.

I have to presume that the times given are Hong Kong local time (see
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=102 for latest HK time
and
info). Hong Kong is UTC +8 hours, so if 0833 is UTC, then the weather
forecast would be in late afternoon... not much help to the yacht crews,
as
they would nearly be done with racing for the day. 0833 local time makes

much more sense to inform participants before setting sail. I could not
find
any specific information positively indicating local time rather than
UTC,
however.

Here's the weather broadcast information for the actual race:

8749 KHZ
Date Time Time
8th April 2004 1833
9th April 2004 0833 1833
10th April 2004 0833 1833
11th April 2004 0833 1833
12th April 2004 0833

The times above work out to 0033 and 1033 UTC.

My apologies for any confusion my previous message caused.

(Guy Atkins via Hard Core DX)

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B

Old April 9th 04, 11:05 AM
N8KDV

An additional f/up note from Glenn Hauser confirms what I had been thinking
about this operation. That is, it is not what one might consider to be a SW
broadcast but rather a utility station:

8749 is a regular HK utility frequency, listed in Klingenfuss 2002 as
VRX, in SSB; perhaps they have a Chinese call now. So this would not
be the only opportunity to hear it, and is not really an RTVHK
broadcast, like the previous transmitter on 3940 may have been.
Interesting operation, nonetheless (Glenn Hauser, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

[...]

Date Time Time

Old April 9th 04, 11:38 AM
N8KDV

N8KDV wrote:

An additional f/up note from Glenn Hauser confirms what I had been thinking
about this operation. That is, it is not what one might consider to be a SW
broadcast but rather a utility station:

8749 is a regular HK utility frequency, listed in Klingenfuss 2002 as
VRX, in SSB; perhaps they have a Chinese call now. So this would not
be the only opportunity to hear it, and is not really an RTVHK
broadcast, like the previous transmitter on 3940 may have been.
Interesting operation, nonetheless (Glenn Hauser, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

And heard here this morning starting at just after 1033 on 8749, wx report
given by a woman.

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

Baker to Vegas Challenge Cup Relay Race TuxTrax General 1 April 27th 04 10:10 PM
Hong Kong drops code Bill Sohl Policy 31 March 9th 04 09:17 PM
YB400PE [email protected] Shortwave 7 February 5th 04 12:34 PM
Grundig Yacht Boy (YB) Radios that are offered World Wide under the Grundig Yacht Boy (YB) Brand Name RHF Shortwave 5 February 5th 04 12:23 PM
Grundig Yacht Boy 80 and 400 Viktar Siarheichyk Shortwave 5 December 31st 03 02:31 AM