Old April 9th 04, 09:00 PM
Mike Terry

Default End of an era at swissinfo

April 9, 2004, 21:45

This week marks the end of an era as more than 60 years of English
broadcasts by swissinfo/Swiss Radio International (SRI) draw to a close.

To mark the occasion, swissinfo is replaying some rare archive footage of
famous interviewees from the past - including jazz legend, Louis Armstrong.

Armstrong was one of the biggest names from the world of music to be heard
on SRI.

An abridged version of his 1955 interview can be heard by clicking on the
link above. Also available are excerpts from conversations with star of
stage and screen, Yul Brynner, and the celebrated Swiss writer, Max Frisch.

All three interviews form part of an extensive archive of audio material
collected over the seven decades that SRI has been on the air.

Neutral voice

The Swiss Shortwave Service - as SRI was known when the first programmes
were transmitted in 1935 - was aimed at Swiss living elsewhere in Europe
looking to keep abreast of news and current affairs back home.

Broadcasts in English began six years later in 1941.

During the Second World War the station developed its long-standing identity
as a neutral voice during periods of international conflict.

"The 1930s was a time of a turmoil in Europe.and during the Second World War
we were broadcasting as the voice of neutral Switzerland," said the director
of SRI, Nicolas Lombard.

"Given the size of our operation, the value people placed on our programmes
was quite remarkable."

Unbiased coverage

SRI's neutrality also came to the fore during the Cold War, when shortwave
listeners around the world tuned in for unbiased coverage of global events.

"During that time it was a question of getting information out of free
societies into closed societies behind the Iron Curtain," said Lombard.

"We were a very small country within Europe, but were standing up for
neutrality.and were considered to be an important voice."

Though politics and current affairs have always been the focus of SRI
broadcasts, cultural and entertainment programmes were also a regular
feature of the schedules.
Jazz Panorama ran for 25 years, while the station's "A Penny - a Song"
programme helped raise funds for charitable projects around the world.

End of Cold War

As the Berlin Wall fell at the end of the 1980s, SRI executives were left
wondering how they could adapt the station's neutral mandate to a new era of
global entente.
"All of a sudden the reason for much of what we were doing had gone,"
recalled Lombard, "so we had to ask ourselves what we were going to do from
here."

During the 1990s SRI began the process of transforming itself from shortwave
broadcaster of international news to multimedia internet outlet providing
news and current affairs from and about Switzerland.

"We recognised that there was no point in trying to be international and
competing with organisations such as the BBC. So, from then on we began
focusing on the concept of 'Swissness'," said Lombard.

"We knew that we could excel and be the market leader when it came to
informing the world about Switzerland."

Lombard was appointed director of swissinfo/SRI in 1999 and it was his task
to steer the company into the internet age of the 21st century.

"I feel very sorry that we are stopping radio. but on the other hand, I'm
proud of how far we've come and we have to look to the future," he said.

Today swissinfo - which is part of the Swiss Broadcasting Corporation -
maintains a website in nine languages: English, French, German, Italian,
Spanish, Portuguese, Arabic, Japanese and Chinese.
swissinfo

Copyright © Swissinfo / Neue Zürcher Zeitung AG

http://nzz.ch/2004/04/09/english/page-synd4848758.html