Old April 14th 04, 06:05 AM
Temporary FL@L&ER

Default S-38B cleanup

I was given an S-38B receiver, older ham cleaning out his shack.
Don't really care if it isn't worth much, just want to clean it up. I
apologize if this has been asked before, but what is recommended to
use for cleaning up the cabinet with crinkle finish? Good old
soap/water, simple Green, or ?
73 es tnx in advance

Use the usual techniques to reply via email.

Molon Labe!
Old April 14th 04, 08:49 AM
donutbandit

"Temporary FL@L&ER" . wrote in
:

I was given an S-38B receiver, older ham cleaning out his shack.
Don't really care if it isn't worth much, just want to clean it up. I
apologize if this has been asked before, but what is recommended to
use for cleaning up the cabinet with crinkle finish? Good old
soap/water, simple Green, or ?
73 es tnx in advance

Don't use Simple Green or any other butyl based cleaner (409 for example.)
They dull paint.

I would just let the cabinet soak in soapy water for awhile, and then go
over it with a soft bristle brush.

Old April 14th 04, 02:43 PM
Carter Grabarczyk

donutbandit wrote:

I was given an S-38B receiver, older ham cleaning out his shack.
Don't really care if it isn't worth much, just want to clean it up.
I apologize if this has been asked before, but what is recommended
to use for cleaning up the cabinet with crinkle finish? Good old
soap/water, simple Green, or ? 73 es tnx in advance

Don't use Simple Green or any other butyl based cleaner (409 for
example.) They dull paint.

I would just let the cabinet soak in soapy water for awhile, and then
go over it with a soft bristle brush.

....and be careful re-assembling it. It can be a killer. This is an AC-DC
set with a metal chassis that has to be *isolated* from the metal
cabinet. Make sure you save all the insulating washers (and pay
attention to how it goes back together) when you take it apart to clean it.

73/Carter/K8VT

Old April 14th 04, 03:02 PM
Frank Dresser

"Temporary FL@L&ER" . wrote in message
I was given an S-38B receiver, older ham cleaning out his shack.
Don't really care if it isn't worth much, just want to clean it up. I
apologize if this has been asked before, but what is recommended to
use for cleaning up the cabinet with crinkle finish? Good old
soap/water, simple Green, or ?
73 es tnx in advance

A jellied hand cleaners mechanics use is good for cleaning wrinkle paint.
Go-Jo is one brand. Work the cleaner into the wrinkles with a soft
toothbrush. The hand cleaner can be followed up with warm, soapy water and
a final rinse. Be particularly careful around the radio's silkscreened
marks and lettering. Tough cases of cigarette smoke residue can be loosened
up with isopropyl alcohol. The paint must be dry before applying either the
hand cleaner or the alcohol.

I've never had any problems with either the hand cleaner or the alcohol
doing any damage to wrinkle paint, but it's wise to test any cleaners on an
inconspicous area first.

I'd also avoid leaving any cleaners, alcohol or water sit on the paint for
longer than needed. The paint could have many invisible fine cracks which
will allow liquids to soak in under the paint. If the radio has been stored
in a humid area, there may be alot of rust under the paint and it won't be
bonded well to the steel anymore. Don't blow the radio dry with a high
pressure air nozzle if you want to keep the paint on! Just pat it down with
a soft rag and let it air dry.

The radio will probably only need only one thorough cleaning. It will be
much easier to keep clean once all the cigarette smoke residue and wax from
the capacitors is cleaned off.

Use the usual techniques to reply via email.

Well, you asked here. Please, tell us how the radio comes out and how well
it works.

Molon Labe!

Frank Dresser

Old April 14th 04, 03:14 PM
Frank Dresser

"Carter Grabarczyk" wrote in message

...and be careful re-assembling it. It can be a killer. This is an AC-DC
set with a metal chassis that has to be *isolated* from the metal
cabinet. Make sure you save all the insulating washers (and pay
attention to how it goes back together) when you take it apart to clean

it.

73/Carter/K8VT

That's a good point. If this is one of the S-38s which use rubber grommets,
the grommets are a standard, common size. There's standard vinyl grommets at
most every hardware store and one of the larger sizes will be a perfect fit.
I think the Radio Shack assortment of vinyl grommets also has the correct
replacement.

Frank Dresser

Old April 14th 04, 11:59 PM
Mark Keith

"Temporary FL@L&ER" . wrote in message . ..
I was given an S-38B receiver, older ham cleaning out his shack.
Don't really care if it isn't worth much, just want to clean it up. I
apologize if this has been asked before, but what is recommended to
use for cleaning up the cabinet with crinkle finish? Good old
soap/water, simple Green, or ?
73 es tnx in advance

Use the usual techniques to reply via email.

Molon Labe!

My radio cleaner of choice is usually windex. And then tissue paper to
wipe it off. You want a real soft paper when cleaning plastic clear
windows, etc, or it can scratch. Don't use "scratchy" paper towels.
I'd do a test on a hidden spot to make sure the windex won't hurt the
paint. But I've never had windex take off paint so far. I clean all my
radios with it, including my henry amp. "The windex is good for
cleaning tubes and glass chimneys" ...If you are careful, you can
do it and leave no fingerprints on the glass..When I dust off my
radios, I use soft paint brushes. Gets all the dust off, but won't
scratch anything. I've cleaned radios that were cig tar coated, and
windex takes that stuff off like melting butter...Really easy, and so
far for me, doesn't hurt paint or plastics...I clean my newer icom
with windex every once in a while, and also my kenwood TS-830. Never a
problem... MK
Old April 15th 04, 12:02 AM
Mark Keith

"Temporary FL@L&ER" . wrote in message . ..
I was given an S-38B receiver, older ham cleaning out his shack.
Don't really care if it isn't worth much, just want to clean it up. I
apologize if this has been asked before, but what is recommended to
use for cleaning up the cabinet with crinkle finish? Good old
soap/water, simple Green, or ?
73 es tnx in advance

Use the usual techniques to reply via email.

Molon Labe!

BTW, with the windex, don't soak the radio with it, unless it a large
area. I usually spray the windex onto the tissue paper," not a large
amount, unless the radio is filthy" and then clean the radio. Only on
some large covers, might I actually spray the windex onto the surface.
MK
Old April 16th 04, 08:10 AM
WShoots1

For crinkle finish, I've used tuner cleaner sprayed on folded paper towel. Then
rub the finish with the dampened towel. It always provided a shiny result for
me. I'd do a test spot, first, say on the bottom or back.

Bill, K5BY
Old April 16th 04, 09:01 PM
Leonard Martin

In article ,
donutbandit wrote:

"Temporary FL@L&ER" . wrote in
:

I was given an S-38B receiver, older ham cleaning out his shack.
Don't really care if it isn't worth much, just want to clean it up. I
apologize if this has been asked before, but what is recommended to
use for cleaning up the cabinet with crinkle finish? Good old
soap/water, simple Green, or ?
73 es tnx in advance

Don't use Simple Green or any other butyl based cleaner (409 for example.)
They dull paint.

I would just let the cabinet soak in soapy water for awhile, and then go
over it with a soft bristle brush.

Thanks for that tip. I've noticed that myself with 409. What's "butyl"?

Leonard

--
"Everything that rises must converge"
--Flannery O'Connor
Old April 20th 04, 05:56 AM
Temporary FL@L&ER

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 00:05:44 -0500, "Temporary FL@L&ER"
. wrote:

I was given an S-38B receiver, older ham cleaning out his shack.
Don't really care if it isn't worth much, just want to clean it up. I
apologize if this has been asked before, but what is recommended to
use for cleaning up the cabinet with crinkle finish? Good old
soap/water, simple Green, or ?
73 es tnx in advance

Use the usual techniques to reply via email.

Molon Labe!

Thanks for all the tips! I had to replace the AC socket so far, the
insulation inside (bakelite?) was cracked, and I just didn't trust it.
It looks like a cruddy repair, but at least I can get it powered up
when I get to that point.

I noticed that toothbrushes are often mentioned. Are there any other
kinds suitable for this, like the 2" round parts cleaning brushes, or
is that overkill?

Use the usual techniques if you wish to reply via email.

Molon Labe!