Old April 16th 04, 01:47 AM
RFCOMMSYS

Default High-Gain AM Car Antenna?

My car radio, although good on FM, stinks on MW. It's about as sensitive as a
brick, but I don't want to replace the radio. Does anyone sell a high-gain AM
car antenna?
Old April 16th 04, 02:36 PM
David

The AM radio antenna is a high-impedance active antenna system.
That's why the center conductor is so tiny. The impedance converter
transistor is inside the radio. Sometimes there's a trimmer capacitor
to peak AM reception. Google the radio and you may very well get some
service tips.

Old April 16th 04, 03:39 PM
LW

(RFCOMMSYS) wrote ...

Does anyone sell a high-gain AM
car antenna?

Check out C Crane and also

http://wwww.crutchfield.com

Both of them were offering an improved AM mobile antenna some time back.
Old April 16th 04, 03:40 PM
LW

(RFCOMMSYS) wrote ...

Does anyone sell a high-gain AM
car antenna?

Oops make that
http://www.crutchfield.com

Old April 17th 04, 05:22 AM
RHF

= = = (Gary) wrote in message
= = = . com...
(RFCOMMSYS) wrote in message ...
My car radio, although good on FM, stinks on MW. It's about as sensitive as a
brick, but I don't want to replace the radio. Does anyone sell a high-gain AM
car antenna?

Many years ago I purchased a coil that installed near the bottom of my
car antenna which drastically increased the signal. I can't find that
item available anymore. I also used a smaller coil that installed
near the top of the antenna. These items were then available at many
auto accessory stores. Also, the ones I have experience with only
worked with non-power rod antennas.

C. Crane Co. - AM/FM Auto Antenna - Purpose: Improve AM reception
on your automobile. Remember: An antenna is more important than
your radio, always!
http://www.ccrane.com/am_fm_auto_antenna.asp
* This Loaded Coil Antenna will improve reception by almost
double on AM and may improve FM.
* Antenna works by increasing the electrical length over your
existing antenna.
* The antenna has a coiled stainless steel spring which will
allow the antenna to bend under the pressure of high speed,
and helps prevent damage.
* Height collapsed is 24" and 54" fully extended.

Signal-to-Noise: Tuner Talk and Car Radio Antennas
http://www.carsound.com/columns/navone/nav0004.shtml
- by David Navone
..
..
Now there is a booster that works on all car antennas.

BOOSTER= http://tinyurl.com/2xazb
http://jcwhitney.1estore.com/moreinf...item=03ZX9401Y
..
..
Just go to: www.jcwhitney.com and do a search
for antenna booster. I have no idea how good these work, but they
don't cost much.

iane ~ RHF

..
Old April 17th 04, 03:00 PM
David

As I recall my active antenna theory, you do not want a resonant
stick. Energy transfer actually decreases as the electrical length of
the antenna increases.

On 16 Apr 2004 21:22:57 -0700, (RHF)
wrote:

= = =
(Gary) wrote in message
= = = . com...
(RFCOMMSYS) wrote in message ...
[...]

.
.

Old April 17th 04, 07:20 PM
Gary

(RHF) wrote in message C. Crane Co. - AM/FM Auto Antenna - Purpose: Improve AM reception
on your automobile. Remember: An antenna is more important than
your radio, always!
http://www.ccrane.com/am_fm_auto_antenna.asp

This is very similar to what I used many years ago and it improved
reception so much that I could listen to distant AM stations loud and
clear that I could barely hear at all with the regular rod antenna. I
would highly recommend this to anyone wanting a strong signal on AM.

Yaesu FT-857D questions Joe S. Equipment 6 October 25th 04 09:40 AM
Antenna tuner Matthew&Wendy Antenna 68 August 10th 04 12:32 PM
FS: Connectors/Adapters/Meters/Etc. Ben Equipment 0 January 1st 04 02:55 PM
FS: Connectors/Adapters/Meters/Etc. Ben Equipment 0 January 1st 04 02:55 PM
Outdoor Antenna and lack of intermod Soliloquy Scanner 11 October 11th 03 01:36 AM