Old April 21st 04, 07:21 PM
Paul Bauer

check out www.fmtunerinfo.com

"Dan Graves" wrote in message
I would like to find a receiver that is a great FM receiver. It would
be great if it was stereo, too.

I have difficulty picking up some classical stations and need
something with more receiving power.

Thanks for any help,
Dan

Old April 22nd 04, 12:19 AM
Stinger

A good FM receiver?

It's much easier to buy a good FM receiver than it is a good AM (MW)
receiver. Most consumer receivers are geared for FM reception, with MW
getting a place on the dial, but no real attention.

Go to your local Circuit City or Best Buy, borrow a pair of headphones, and
hook a cheapo dipole antenna (all the receivers come with them -- ask the
salesman to let you see an open box) to it and see which one gets the best
signal inside the store. THAT's your radio.

-- Stinger

"Al" wrote in message

"Dan Graves" wrote in message

I have difficulty picking up some classical stations and need
something with more receiving power.
Dan

More receiving power will be obtained mostly through a better antenna.
Before you purchase a new receiver, get an outdoor antenna if possible.

That
will most likely solve your reception problems.

Al KA5JGV
San Antonio, Tx.

Old April 22nd 04, 08:59 AM
RHF

= = = Dan Graves wrote in message
= = = . ..

I would like to find a receiver that is a great FM receiver.
It would be great if it was stereo, too.

I have difficulty picking up some classical stations
and need something with more receiving power.

Thanks for any help,
Dan

DG,

The FM Receiver is only half of the FM Broadcast Reception equation.

The other half is the FM Antenna. A quality multi-element FM
Antenna will be Directional and have greater Gain when pointed
at the FM Transmitter location. Adding and 'external' FM Antenna
to an existing radio will do more to improve FM Reception then
buying a newer / better radio - IMHO.

If you are interested in a FM Tuner that will bring in those
distant FM Stations and give outstanding audio results; consider
the Sansui TU-919.
- Annalog Tuning plus Digital Read-Out
- Five Gang Tuner
- Wide and Narrow FM "IF" Band Widths
[ Plus Wide and Narrow AM/MW "IF" Band Widths ]
- Multi-Stage Ceramic Filters

NOTE: The Sansui TU-919 is available 'used' on eBay and usually
sells for about $600.

SANSUI-TU-919= http://www.amfmdx.net/fmdx/TU919.html
http://www.antennaperformance.com/pr...8&CategoryID=3
http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/sansui.html

INFO - FM DX Tuner Overviews
http://www.amfmdx.net/fmdx/tuners.html
Your Guide to FM Tuners with DX Potential

FM Tuners · High End FM Tuners eGroup at YAHOO!

jm2cw ~ RHF

..
Old April 22nd 04, 12:51 PM
Al Dykes

In article ,
Mojo wrote:
I would agree on the Tivoli Model Two. FM reception had been
problematic for me too, until I got one. (Tall buildings, topography,
and nearby high-voltage power lines all conspired against me.) Armed
with only its included single-wire antenna, my M2 managed to
outperform my separate FM tuners and receivers that cost a _lot_ more
than its $160.00 price. (And they were connected to amplified
antennae.) The retro-looking analog tuner is a lot of fun, and the
little thing sounds really good, too.

If you can live without stereo, Tivoli's monaural Model One ($100.00)
has a very similar overall sound character, an equally excellent
tuner, and requires less space and cash. It might even change your
mind about needing stereo. Check out both the Models One and Two at
http:/www.tivoliaudio.com.

Boston Acoustics' Recepter[tm] radio is mono too, but adds the
convenience of digital tuning presets, along with a clock and
sleep/alarm functions. For $160.00, it offers most of the convenience
features of the Bose Wave, but with better FM reception in my
experience, and at a price that is less than half that of the Wave.
http:/www.bostonacoustics.com has details.

Of these three, I don't think you'd be at all disappointed in any of
them.

JM

Dan Graves wrote in message news

I would like to find a receiver that is a great FM receiver. It would
be great if it was stereo, too.

I have difficulty picking up some classical stations and need
something with more receiving power.

Thanks for any help,
Dan

Has Anyone tried a Tivoli with interferance from a strong adjacent
channel signal ?

Are all the Tivoli models equivilant as far as receiver specs go ?

--
Al Dykes
-----------

Old April 22nd 04, 08:25 PM
Chris Dorn

There are lots of great FM tuners out there at bargain prices if you
look around. Go to the FM Tuner Info site, and do some reading. I picked
a Technics ST-S505 digital tuner on EBAY for $60. This unit has .05
stepped tuning, IF offset, good sensitivity and image rejection, and has
4 ceramic filters in the narrow mode. It also has a numerical digital
signal strength readout. I have this coupled to an Antennacraft (same as
Radio Shack) 6 element beam and TV rotor. Total cost of setup not much
more than $100. I routinely get stations from 200-250 miles. Much better
than you're going to find in a lot of the SW portables if you want to FM
DX. Of the portables, the Grundig Satellit 700 has the best reputation
for FM. The Sat 800 is "ok", but I think it only has 2 filters
(selectivity), a useless signal meter (goes to max on most signals), and
poor construction. I know, I went through 3 of them before giving up.
Good luck...

Chris VE6RDC

RHF wrote:

.