Old April 21st 04, 09:48 PM
Yan

Default How to decode a SSB signal from my PC ?

Hello,

I am looking to decode an SSB signals coming out of my SW radio fed to
my PC soundcard
..
There are many software available on the net but havent been able to
find on like this (BOF or some sideband filter...)

I have seen stuff like DSPfilter and MIXsomething but doesnt seem to
do the trick.

I someone could help please.

Thanks

yan
Old April 21st 04, 11:55 PM
Stinger

Yan,

If you're trying to decode things like Slow-Scan TV, etc. then a great
program to use is SkySweeper.

You can get a free demo he

http://www.skysweep.com

and also see information about what each version can do.

-- Stinger

om...

.

Old April 22nd 04, 01:40 AM
Tom Holden

Yan wrote:
Hello,

I am looking to decode an SSB signals coming out of my SW
radio fed to my PC soundcard
.
There are many software available on the net but havent
been able to find on like this (BOF or some sideband
filter...)

I have seen stuff like DSPfilter and MIXsomething but
doesnt seem to do the trick.

I someone could help please.

Thanks

yan

I don't think you can take the audio output from an envelope detector of a
SSB suppressed carrier signal and convert it to the audio that you would
have got were the carrier not suppressed. The envelope detector generates
the difference frequencies between the predominant energy in the IF spectrum
and the weaker. When carrier is present, that would be the differences
between the carrier and the sideband energy, i.e., the desired modulation.
In the absence of carrier, it is a mish-mash between the strongest speech
spectrum and the weaker and no subsequent processing is liable to be very
capable of untangling it. That's why a BFO to provide a replacement carrier
and a product detector are used for SSB demodualtion.

What can be done is to downconvert the IF signal to another IF in the
passband of the sound card and the DSP processing could multiply the input
spectrum against a frequency, say 15 kHz, and low pass filter the output to
extract the modulation. Such a technique is described and Windows software
can be downloaded at http://www.detomasi.it/en/project.html. Here's a link
to an article about a DSP AM/FM/SSB demodulator based on the Motorola 56002:
http://thierry.leconte.chez.tiscali.fr/demod.html .

If you make this IF converter, you will also be able to experiment with DRM
reception using the DReaM software.

Tom

Old April 22nd 04, 03:17 AM
Brian Denley

Yan wrote:
Hello,

I am looking to decode an SSB signals coming out of my SW radio fed to
my PC soundcard
.
There are many software available on the net but havent been able to
find on like this (BOF or some sideband filter...)

I have seen stuff like DSPfilter and MIXsomething but doesnt seem to
do the trick.

I someone could help please.

Thanks

yan

What radio do you have?

--
Brian Denley

Old April 22nd 04, 01:49 PM
Yan

What radio do you have?

I have a Grundig S350.

I am starting to think that what I am asing is a little too much.

I had a YB400PE and it had a SSB switch and all it did was apply some
function on on my AM signal.

I have many audio applications but I am looking for a means of
filtering the band and applying the missing carrier (or whatever other
sgnal manipulation.)

Basically, I want the warble on any given station to be cleared up.

Thanks ;-)

Old April 22nd 04, 03:33 PM
J999w

Short answer ... it can't be done.

You'll need a receiver built to receive SSB.

jw
K9RZZ

Old April 23rd 04, 02:05 AM
Mark Keith

(Yan) wrote in message . com...

What radio do you have?

I have a Grundig S350.

I am starting to think that what I am asing is a little too much.

I had a YB400PE and it had a SSB switch and all it did was apply some
function on on my AM signal.

I have many audio applications but I am looking for a means of
filtering the band and applying the missing carrier (or whatever other
sgnal manipulation.)

Basically, I want the warble on any given station to be cleared up.

Thanks ;-)

It's really easiest to just get another SSB radio. But you could build
a BFO circuit I suppose. Back when I first started out, I used to use
old clock radios as tunable BFO's. You just stuck the old BC radio
right next to the SW portable, and tune it "the BC radio" until you
hear a "swish" sound in the SW radio. Tune the BC radio until that BFO
signal is sitting on your SW freq. If you are careful in tuning with
both radios, it's a workable setup. But if either radio drifts, you
need to touch up the tuning a good bit. The "SSB" switch on the 400PE
was a built in BFO circuit. MK

PS..
http://web.wt.net/~nm5k/r6.jpg
This is a pix of my first SWL setup when I was in 8th grade. Note the
philco portable with the AM clock radio directly behind it. That was
my "BFO". The one to the left, would work also, but I used it as my
actual clock, and for AM-BC. The contraption in the center view is my
first 40m "7 mhz" transmitter I built using a 6V6. It actually worked!
No smoke was ever let out of that unit...That pic was taken in 1971.
Hard to believe that was 33 years ago...Proof of impending old
fartism... I can say, my receiving devices have improved a bit since
then.... That philco was eventually stolen out of my locker at
school the next year or so...I bought it new at a firestone tire store
of all places. They sold philco TV's , radios' , etc back in those
days..MK
Old April 23rd 04, 03:18 AM
Brian Denley

Yan wrote:
What radio do you have?

I have a Grundig S350.

I am starting to think that what I am asing is a little too much.

I had a YB400PE and it had a SSB switch and all it did was apply some
function on on my AM signal.

I have many audio applications but I am looking for a means of
filtering the band and applying the missing carrier (or whatever other
sgnal manipulation.)

Basically, I want the warble on any given station to be cleared up.

Thanks ;-)

Yan:
Bad radio choice if your interested in SSB. Can you take it back and get a
radio with SSB? A Sony SW7600 would have been a better choice for about
$140.

--
Brian Denley