Old April 24th 04, 11:09 PM
Super Pissed Dad

I received a reply from Walter Hess of Eton to my query if the Eton E1
XM will have IBOC capability. The answer, in a word, is no. No IBOC,
no DAB, no WorldSpace, no DRM. Not even Sirius. AM, FM, SW, and XM
satellite (subscription) only.

Can someone tell me what IBOC,DAB,WorldSpace,DRM,Satellite Radio is.How do you
get these features.

spd
Old April 26th 04, 05:18 PM
Lawrence H. Bulk

I've seen that notice too but Walter Hess did not mention it to me in
his e-mail reply. Also, unfortunately, DAB would be of use only to
European, Canadian, or US users in the northern states, I believe.

Remember when any radio could work anywhere in the world? This
fragmenting of broadcast standards may be a first step (intentionally
or not) to restrict availability of information which could then be
"censored" locally by the powers-that-be (and I might mention that I
am NOT a "right-wing conspiracy advocate"). TV has basically always
been that way. What a shame.

I think I'll wait until a multi-format portable receiver is designed
(if ever). Like some others, I have no interest in "pay" radio (which
is not true world-band, anyway).

Lawrence

Noel wrote in message . ..

http://www.etonmall.com/asp/EIXM.asp

Claims that this receiver is DAB ready.

Old April 26th 04, 07:01 PM
Frank Dresser

"Lawrence H. Bulk" wrote in message
om...
I've seen that notice too but Walter Hess did not mention it to me in
his e-mail reply. Also, unfortunately, DAB would be of use only to
European, Canadian, or US users in the northern states, I believe.

Remember when any radio could work anywhere in the world?

That changed in the late 30s with the introduction of FM in the US.

And the FM band of Japan is different than the FM bands of the rest of the
world. The Soviet/Eastern Europe FM band was different, but they've been
moving up to the standard FM band over the last few years.

If you limit the choice to a standard AM broadcast band radio, they still
work anywhere in the world, and will for the forseeable future.

This
fragmenting of broadcast standards may be a first step (intentionally
or not) to restrict availability of information which could then be
"censored" locally by the powers-that-be (and I might mention that I
am NOT a "right-wing conspiracy advocate"). TV has basically always
been that way. What a shame.

I think I'll wait until a multi-format portable receiver is designed
(if ever). Like some others, I have no interest in "pay" radio (which
is not true world-band, anyway).

Lawrence

The current IBOC transmission are compatable with current radios. The IBOC
standard can go all digital, which can only be received on IBOC radios,
provided this IBOC thing proves to be sucessful.

I can see why nobody is making a true multimode radio. Many of these
standards have license fees and additional manufacturing costs, and if these
standards aren't in common use, they will needlessly add cost to the radio.
More than that, a consumer might expect the features to actually do
something even if no broadcaster in the area is using the system. And
there's no guarantee any broadcasters will be using these systems in ten
years.

Frank Dresser