Old April 24th 04, 03:50 AM
Stephen M.H. Lawrence

Default What Kind of Alarm Clock Radios are Good?

"Jim Williams" wrote:
| I'm looking for a new alarm clock radio.
| What are some good ones, with
| good reception, etc?
|
| Thanks,
| Jim

Jim, I'd recommend a GE Superradio 3 with a Radio
Shack digital timer. Not exactly an alarm clock, but
you can hear a flea fart at fifty miles with this combination.

73,

Steve Lawrence
KAØPMD
Burnsville, Minnesota

(NOTE: My email address has only one "dot."
You'll have to edit out the one between the "7"
and the "3" in my email address if you wish to

---

Old April 24th 04, 04:20 AM
Stinger

I'm very fond of my CC Radio Plus. You have to hear the alarm on that thing
to appreciate it. It is not at all annoying, like many GE, Sony, and misc.
other "clock radios."

Right now, they're on sale.

-- Stinger

Old April 24th 04, 06:03 AM
Gray Shockley

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 21:33:29 -0500, Jim Williams wrote
(in article ):

I'm looking for a new alarm clock radio. What are some good ones, with
good reception, etc?

Thanks,
Jim

You might take a look at CCrane.com.

They carry several.

/gray//

Old April 24th 04, 04:40 PM
Mojo

I like the Recepter, too. FM reception is among the best I've tried,
and it receives some difficult stations that were completely out of
reach of a couple of expensive component tuners I have. AM seems O.K.
to me, but I'll defer to others as far as its performance in that
area, since I rarely listen to AM.

I agree that the sound can be bass-heavy on some material. I've found
that moving it a little further away from a corner or wall helps
though, if your nightstand allows that. I've had mine for almost 18
months now, and have been very happy with it.

// //

Jay Heyl wrote in message ...
In article ,
says...
I'm looking for a new alarm clock radio. What are some good ones, with
good reception, etc?

The Boston Acoustics Recepter has very good reception on FM. MW is a
bit weak, though this is due to the rather small internal antenna. Both
the MW and FM antennas can be completely replaced by just hooking up
other antennas in the back of the clock/radio. The sound is . . .

Old April 25th 04, 07:09 PM
Richard Beri

Jim Williams wrote:
I'm looking for a new alarm clock radio. What are some good ones, with
good reception, etc?

Thanks,
Jim

I have the Tivoli Audio alarm clock/radio "Model Three" which sounds
great and also looks great too. It is all analog which is a nice change
to other complicated offerings. It also has a dedicated battery backup
for the clock so you will always wake up even in a power failure. The
back also had that many inputs/outputs to please any radio/audio geek.
www.tivoliaudio.com
Old April 26th 04, 07:34 AM
Gray Shockley

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 13:09:51 -0500, Richard Beri wrote
(in article ):

Jim Williams wrote:
I'm looking for a new alarm clock radio. What are some good ones, with
good reception, etc?

Thanks,
Jim

I have the Tivoli Audio alarm clock/radio "Model Three" which sounds
great and also looks great too. It is all analog which is a nice change
to other complicated offerings. It also has a dedicated battery backup
for the clock so you will always wake up even in a power failure.

Uh, really? The /alarm/ will go off even if power has not been restored?

I've got three (or four) alarm clocks which have 9v battery backups that are
somewhat close in keeping time but not a one of 'em will work (sound alarm or
play radio) until the power comes back on. [Which is why we have two of the
little 2" analog clocks with very evil alarm and they each run off of one
"AA" cell.

/gray/

Old April 26th 04, 02:56 PM
Jake Brodsky

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 22:33:29 -0400, Jim Williams
wrote:

I'm looking for a new alarm clock radio. What are some good ones, with
good reception, etc?

Since this is rec.radio.shortwave I'll mention what I use:

I have a YB-400 at my bedside. They're available all over, including
Radio Shack.

Advantages: FM receiver is very sensitive --one of the best portables
I've seen. SW AM reception is pretty good for what it is. MW AM
reception is decent but not magical. The audio section of this radio
is very good for a portable of this size.

Disadvantages: SSB is pretty much an afterthought. It works on
stronger signals where adjacent channel reception is not much of a
problem. But don't expect it to work well. Operating on six AA
Batteries I get about 30 hours of use. It doesn't come with an AC
adaptor and most after market adaptors tend to hum with this unit.

Alarm will go off in almost all conditions. I'm not sure if it works
with the power out and an AC adaptor plugged in, but the clock display
works, so I assume it will go off.

If you wake to the radio, it will power up on whatever it was tuned to
last. For shortwave, this could result on waking to dead air if
you're not certain the station will be on the air and running.

The snooze button is a bit short for my taste. I think it goes for
about six minutes and that value is not adjustable. I also find that
the clock on my radio is not the most stable. It can drift as much as
a minute over a couple months. However, it's a reasonably simple task
to tune in a time station and reset the clock...

73,

Jake Brodsky, AB3A
"Beware of the massive impossible!"
Old April 26th 04, 07:27 PM
Beloved Leader

"Jim Williams" wrote:

| I'm looking for a new alarm clock radio.
| What are some good ones, with
| good reception, etc?
|
| Thanks,
| Jim

Wall street Journal, Friday, march 12, 2004, page W11C (at least in
the mid-Atlantic states. The page number might differ in other
editions).

Look for the article, "A Kinder, Gentler Alarm Clock." Five were
reviewed:

1) Sangean RCR1 Advanced Atomic Clock Radio, $89.88, from J&R Music
And Computer World. Rated "best overall."
2) RCA Stereo CD Clock Radio, $59.99 from Best Buy. Rated "best
value." It was on sale for $54 when they bought it.
3) Oregon Scientific AM/FM Radio BARM123A, $179 from DonRowe.com.
4) Big Screen Clock/Radio & Sound Soother 20, $149.95 from The Sharper
Image.
5) Deluxe E Tone Digital Zen Clock, $99.95 from Now & Zen.

Websites:
http://www.jandr.com
http://www.bestbuy.com
http://www.donrowe.com