Old April 28th 04, 01:38 AM
Beloved Leader

Default Bush Backs BPL

A month ago, I pointed out that Bush backed broadband access.

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...om%26rnum%3D10

or

http://tinyurl.com/3gvsn

His speech at the time lacked details, and he made no mention of BPL.
Yesterday, he backed BPL.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/relea...0040426-6.html

And so here are some smart things to do: One, increase access to
federal land for fiberoptic cables and transmission towers. That makes
sense. As you're trying to get broadband spread throughout the
company, make sure it's easy to build across federal lands. One sure
way to hold things up is that the federal lands say, you can't build
on us. So how is some guy in remote Wyoming going to get any broadband
technology? Regulatory policy has got to be wise and smart as we
encourage the spread of this important technology. There needs to be
technical standards to make possible new broadband technologies, such
as the use of high-speed communication directly over power lines.
Power lines were for electricity; power lines can be used for
broadband technology. So the technical standards need to be changed to
encourage that.

And we need to open up more federally controlled wireless spectrum to
auction in free public use, to make wireless broadband more
accessible, reliable, and affordable. Listen, one of the technologies
that's coming is wireless. And if you're living out in -- I should --
I was going to say Crawford, Texas, but it's not -- maybe not nearly
as remote. (Laughter.) How about Terlingua, Texas? There's not a lot
of wires out there. But wireless technology is going to change all
that so long as government policy makes sense.

And we're going to continue to support the Federal Communications
Commission. Michael Powell -- Chairman Michael Powell, under his
leadership, his decision to eliminate burdensome regulations on new
broadband networks availability to homes. In other words, clearing out
the underbrush of regulation, and we'll get the spread of broadband
technology, and America will be better for it. (Applause.)

Sell your radios now. America will be better for it.
Old April 28th 04, 04:30 AM
KØHB

"Beloved Leader" wrote

Sell your radios now. America will be better for it.

My friend, K0TO, said "If this wasn't the same Man who declared
that he was going to start a program to go to Mars, that he was
going to build and anti-missile system, that he was going to.....
I would be more worried.

"It is an election year(has been for more than 36 months) and the
objective is to promise everything and anything in a way the
makes some other group of people responsible for its failure, not
you. [This is political party independent by the way -- all of
them utilize the same methodology]."

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old April 28th 04, 05:23 AM
Chuck...K1KW

Yes..he is clueless, but the political agenda here is to promise people what
they want to hear. Given that the FCC has increased restrictions on BPL
deployment in its recent NPRM regarding Part 15 requirements means that the
market will sort it out. Investors in BPL will see new limitations on BPL
and have to consider its reliability against alternative systems that really
work, like DSL, cable, and the various flavors of wireless continuously
emerging. The shrub and his current administration won't have to kill it,
the market will. It just sounds good in this election year. However, it
just shows how stupid and gutless the management of this BPL issue has
been!!!

Old April 28th 04, 07:08 PM
Dan/W4NTI

"Chuck...K1KW" wrote in message
Yes..he is clueless, but the political agenda here is to promise people

what
they want to hear. Given that the FCC has increased restrictions on BPL
deployment in its recent NPRM regarding Part 15 requirements means that

the
market will sort it out. Investors in BPL will see new limitations on BPL
and have to consider its reliability against alternative systems that

really
work, like DSL, cable, and the various flavors of wireless continuously
emerging. The shrub and his current administration won't have to kill it,
the market will. It just sounds good in this election year. However, it
just shows how stupid and gutless the management of this BPL issue has
been!!!

Hi Chuck, ya sounding good on 20AM.

Oh do you think Mr. Powell will have to reconsider quitting the FCC and get
a different job, instead of BPL guru?

Dan/W4NTI