Old April 28th 04, 04:34 PM
Simon Luttrell

Default Racal 6790 and 3701 spec/comparison

Hi - Does anyone know the technical spec (summary) for the Racal
6790GM and Racal 3701 HF receivers? I have the chance to buy either
of these receivers. I know a bit about the 6790 (gets good reviews),
but I can't find any info about the 3701 receiver. Any
help/info/advice appreciated!

Simon

PS - I want to use the receiver for broadcast DXing on shortwave
(mainly tropical bands), and medium wave. Location for me is Bangkok,
Thailand. Currently use a Ten-Tec RX350 and Wellbrook loop.
Old April 29th 04, 04:35 AM
Mark S. Holden

Simon Luttrell wrote:
Hi - Does anyone know the technical spec (summary) for the Racal
6790GM and Racal 3701 HF receivers? I have the chance to buy either
of these receivers. I know a bit about the 6790 (gets good reviews),
but I can't find any info about the 3701 receiver. Any
help/info/advice appreciated!

Simon

PS - I want to use the receiver for broadcast DXing on shortwave
(mainly tropical bands), and medium wave. Location for me is Bangkok,
Thailand. Currently use a Ten-Tec RX350 and Wellbrook loop.

I had a 6790/gm and while it was a decent performer, I wasn't overly
impressed with it. Mostly, I didn't like the membrane keypads, and the
way they mounted the LCD displays to the front panel. Build quality
just wasn't impressive compared to radios I've had from Harris, WJ, and
Norlin.

The LCD's are available for about $100 each, and you should verify
they're OK before agreeing on a price.

The nicad battery may be shot if it hasn't been replaced - it's an
oddball one, but replacements are available - or you can adapt it to use
a holder to take nicad AAA's or N's.

Older 6790's used bulbs to illuminate the LCD's and they are often
burned out. Newer ones used green LED's. If you're patient you can
modify a bulb based one to use rectangular LED's.

I've never had a 3701, but looking at it in the Osterman book, it looks
like a better radio - it's newer, and it has real keypads.

It's not as sensitive as the 6790, (1uv instead of .5uv) but most of the
other specs look better to me. It also has 100 memories.

Here's a link to a message on the premium RX list that discusses these
radios -

http://ml.islandnet.com/pipermail/premium-rx/2003-August/000883.html

If you're going to get one of these radios, joining Premium RX is a good
idea as the members there can often provide a wealth of technical
information.

Regards,

Mark