Old April 28th 04, 11:32 PM
Michael

Default KA-1101 vs. KA1102 performance tidbit

Hiya....

I have both the KA-1101 and the KA 1102. I've been using both for over
four months at work to listen to medium wave AM and some short wave. I
switch from one to the other from time to time to see if I can spot any
differences. For the most part, I've found them to be fairly equal not
considering the ssb feature on the 1102. The sensitivity and the audio
quality of both of them is on par. I've found though, that they have some
interesting differences with selectivity. At first, I thought that the
KA1101 was the more selective. I've found that my KA1101 is more selective
then the KA 1102 on the 49 meter band. When I use the KA-1102 to listen to
the BBC on 5975, it gets spooked by what ever is on 5960. The KA 1101 does
not have this problem at that spot.

Today I found another difference between the two in selectivity. This time,
the KA1102 is the better.

I had the KA-1101 tuned to 1190 AM to listen to Air America for a while. It
was being spooked big time by Blumberg Radio on 1130. I could hear 1130
clearly while the KA-1101 was tuned on 1190. I tried both the narrow and
wide filter settings. I still heard 1130 coming through. I even put the
attenuator on "local" and I still heard 1130 spooking 1190

I tried the KA-1102 out on 1190 to see if it suffered from the same intermod
problem. When I tuned the KA-1102 to 1190, I didn't hear 1130 at all.

--

Respectfully,

Michael

Location: Northern NJ
Primary Radio: R-75 with full Kiwa mods.
Antennas: 200ft "Frankenstein" roof wire, G5RV
Additional Radios:GE Super Radio III, PL-550,
KA-1101, KA-1102, Kaiwa KA-989, Info-Mate 837,
Westinghouse H-104 (seven tube)
Home Page: http://md_dxing.tripod.com/

Old April 28th 04, 11:39 PM
Jackie

Michael,

Good to know this. I'm getting a KA1101 to supplement my KA1102 (which I
really enjoy) so I'll be able to do my own comparisons to that effect as
well. These are nice little radios, aren't they?

Jackie

Old April 28th 04, 11:54 PM
Diverd4777

Hiya Michael

Thanks for the Interesting info about 1130 blasting over 1190
in Northern NJ;
- does this happen Just with the KA-1101 or with other radios as well;
- And does it happen when you collapse the whip some ??
- Sounds like what happens with my
~ $10 Jwin JX M-14 ( Still good for it's price)

Dan ( NYC, Jwin, Sangean 606A, Icom R-75 )

Old April 29th 04, 12:14 AM
Michael

"Jackie" wrote in message

Michael,

Good to know this. I'm getting a KA1101 to supplement my KA1102 (which I
really enjoy) so I'll be able to do my own comparisons to that effect as
well. These are nice little radios, aren't they?

Jackie

Yes.. I like them both :-)

Old April 29th 04, 12:19 AM
Michael

"Diverd4777" wrote in message
Hiya Michael

Thanks for the Interesting info about 1130 blasting over 1190
in Northern NJ;
- does this happen Just with the KA-1101 or with other radios as well;
- And does it happen when you collapse the whip some ??
- Sounds like what happens with my
~ $10 Jwin JX M-14 ( Still good for it's price)

It happens with the whip fully retracted and folded in. I can't say if
that happens to any other radios other then the KA-1101 because I just
noticed it today. I'm going to bring my PL-550 into work tomorrow to see
how it does with the same issue.

Michael

Old April 29th 04, 12:26 AM
Mike S.

In article ,
Michael wrote:
[...]

I am also near the transmitters of several MW powerhouses here in North
Jersey. It is not uncommon for WINS, WBBR, and several other stations to
bleed intermod tens of kilohertz above their actual frequency on cheap
Chinese radios. In fact, on my DE1102 if you tune to shortwave in an area
where there is no signal, you can here the audio of several local MW
transmitters down in the mud. That's why they call if "RF Hell" :-)

Old April 29th 04, 12:47 AM
Michael

"Mike S." wrote in message

In article ,
Michael wrote:
[...]

OH, YEAH !!!! The area of NJ that is just west of NYC is a huge medium
wave intermod stew. It is a great place to set up a medium wave
transmitter because of all the ground water. The draw back is serious
intermod.

Michael

Old April 29th 04, 07:04 AM
Bob

I have found the Kaito 1101 to be great for carrying on long walks
along the beach. The audio is crisp and clear and sensitivity off the
whip is good.
No problem the other day picking up Radio Bulgaria on the west
coast.
One thing I have found re the audio out jack. If you plug
headphones into it you can hear the audio well enough (it could be a
bit louder) and there is no muting. THis way you can hear the
stations that are too low to stop the scan.
Bob
Old April 29th 04, 10:46 PM
Michael

"Diverd4777" wrote in message
Hiya Michael

Thanks for the Interesting info about 1130 blasting over 1190
in Northern NJ;
- does this happen Just with the KA-1101 or with other radios as well;
- And does it happen when you collapse the whip some ??
- Sounds like what happens with my
~ $10 Jwin JX M-14 ( Still good for it's price)

Hiya...

I took my PL-550 to work today. It did not have the 1130 to 1190 intermod
problem that the KA-1101 has. It is so glairing on the KA-1101 that I'm
wondering if it is a filter defect in my particular radio.