Old May 2nd 04, 05:55 PM
Joe Analssandrini

You're not going to find a radio with all of your requirements as no
such receiver exists.

If you can live without #3, the tuning knob, in my opinion the best
portable for listening to MW is the Sony ICF-SW7600GR in conjunction
with a Select-A-Tenna, or similar. Note: The Sony An-LP1 does not work
on MW. I believe the above combination would come closest to your
requirements. It would eight or your nine requiremens.

Hope this helps, Joe

(JCJ) wrote in message . com...
Can anyone give me opionions as to which one is the best true portable
PLL synthesized DIGITAL radio receiver for listening to MW(AM)?

Please consider the size no bigger than the ATS909 (No S350)

In order of importance please consider these:
1.-Sensitivity
2.-Selectivity
3.-Must have a tuning knob
4.-Sound (must have internal speaker)
5.-Memories

Old May 2nd 04, 07:20 PM
Al Arduengo

LW wrote:
Bill Everhart

SONY 2010

Have fun.

I was at Big Lots in Greenville, SC yesterday. The stock clerk rolled
out a pallet of 2010's and set it down in a back corner of the store.
Hung a price tag that said $29.95 each and walked away.

Then I woke up.

What a dream.

Man, I was getting ready call 'em. Shame on you...
Old May 2nd 04, 10:08 PM
Pete KE9OA

No, they are leaving the design details up to me. The owner of the company
is also a MW Dxer like myself.

Pete

"starman" wrote in message
Pete KE9OA wrote:

Thanks for the endorsement Gregg! I think this unit will be a desk top

unit
though.
Right now, I have the synthesizer and the loop amplifier/tuning circuit
captured into Protel DXP. I still need to do the Rx section and the Sync
Detector. A couple days more work.............then the fun stuff begins.

Pete

Do you get much flak from the bean counters about trimming costs in the
design? This seems to be one of the major reasons that some great
receivers don't make it to market.

Old May 3rd 04, 03:06 AM
radiok3pi

This is all very exciting Pete.
Wonder if the mechanical on/off switch made it to the final design?
Also, are you willing to hazard a guess (realizing of course that
other projects could change it) as to an approx. availability date?

really looking fwd to it!

73 Russ K3Pi
Old May 4th 04, 02:39 AM
Pete KE9OA

Hi Russ,
I am not sure about the ship date yet.................our
software person still needs to free up from the big project before he can
work on this one. And yes, this unit will have a mechanical power switch.
I've got a Drake SW8, and although it is a fun receiver, I really hate that
soft power switch. The manufacturer must have thought people would have the
unit plugged in all the time It is going to be a good receiver.
If this project takes off the way I hope it will, I would also like to do a
general cover version of the receiver. The Rx circuit will be the same, with
the exception of switchable band-pass filters for the front end, and of
course, a different synthesizer topology. If that comes to pass, I will
probably use a hybrid DDS/PLL design.

Pete

om...

Old May 4th 04, 05:53 PM
Grumpus

"CW" wrote in message ...
Since when did they add PLL to a Super Radio?

In the early 80's to the fabled and little seen Digital Super Radios.

Regards,

Grumpus

"Brian Hill" wrote in message

"JCJ" wrote in message
om...
Can anyone give me opionions as to which one is the best true portable
PLL synthesized DIGITAL radio receiver for listening to MW(AM)?

Please consider the size no bigger than the ATS909 (No S350)

In order of importance please consider these:
1.-Sensitivity
2.-Selectivity
3.-Must have a tuning knob
4.-Sound (must have internal speaker)
5.-Memories

I think the Super Radios are good choice. Most dedicated SW rigs have
attenuation that is present across the AM broadcast band which
substantially lowers the sensitivity.
--
73 Brian
A lot of radios and 100' of rusty wire!

Old May 5th 04, 04:18 AM
starman

Pete KE9OA wrote:

If this project takes off the way I hope it will, I would also like to do a general cover version of the receiver. The Rx circuit will be the same, with the exception of switchable band-pass filters for the front end, and of course, a different synthesizer topology. If that comes to pass, I will
probably use a hybrid DDS/PLL design.

What kind of store might sell that version?

Old May 6th 04, 02:44 AM
RHF

= = = "CW" wrote in message
= = = ...
Since when did they add PLL to a Super Radio ?

FO&A,

"Please consider the size no bigger than the ATS909 (No S350)"

Since when did they make a GE Superadio 'as small as' a
Sangean ATS-909 ? - or smaller ?

One Wonders ~ RHF
..
..

Old May 13th 04, 06:41 AM
Pete KE9OA

I think we probably will sell direct to the public. I contacted a couple of
the big shortwave receiver distributors, and they didn't seem too
interested.

Pete

Old May 13th 04, 03:03 PM
Diverd4777

Pete:

- Please post a link to whatever website you will be using to Sell your
receiver from when it's ready to ship !

Thanks

Dan