Old May 3rd 04, 05:48 PM
Grumpus

Default Fairly Good Catch On Sangean DT-200V

Heard the CBC affiliate in Moncton, New Brunswick on my DT-200V here
in Western New York in the wee hours, a distance of approximately 770
miles, on 1070 AM. Heard a solid station ID at 4:27 A.M. East Coast
time, a news report about two cases of flesh-eating streptococcus (one
fatal) and another story about an outbreak of Jacob-Kreutzfeld (sic)
disease which IIRC is Mad Cow?

Regards,

Grumpus
Old May 3rd 04, 09:25 PM
Sanjaya

Grumpus wrote:
Heard the CBC affiliate in Moncton, New Brunswick on my DT-200V here
in Western New York in the wee hours, a distance of approximately 770
miles, on 1070 AM. Heard a solid station ID at 4:27 A.M. East Coast
time, a news report about two cases of flesh-eating streptococcus (one
fatal) and another story about an outbreak of Jacob-Kreutzfeld (sic)
disease which IIRC is Mad Cow?

Regards,

Grumpus

Nice catch Grumpus.
I see you still have your trusty Sangean DT-200 : )
My DT-300 got San Antonio, TX at 958 miles.

You can check straight line distances between larger
towns at http://www.indo.com/distance
I did Moncton to Buffalo and got 734 miles. So you must
be further than that even.

Old May 5th 04, 09:05 AM
Ron Hardin

The DT200V is a great machine for the size, but nighttime reception
isn't much of a test. A mere 50 watts makes it fine from coast to
coast at night. The trouble is the other stations doing it at the
same time on the same frequency.

In other words, it's not a matter of signal strength but who's faded
in and who's faded out at a particular instant. If enough are faded out
then you can hear the guy who's faded in, on almost any radio.

Selectivity helps, so at least the adjacent channels don't figure in
as well.

It's in the daytime that the sensitivity of the DT200V (for its size)
shows up.
--
Ron Hardin

Old May 5th 04, 05:18 PM
Grumpus

Ron Hardin wrote in message ...
The DT200V is a great machine for the size, but nighttime reception
isn't much of a test. A mere 50 watts makes it fine from coast to
coast at night. The trouble is the other stations doing it at the
same time on the same frequency.

In other words, it's not a matter of signal strength but who's faded
in and who's faded out at a particular instant. If enough are faded out
then you can hear the guy who's faded in, on almost any radio.

Selectivity helps, so at least the adjacent channels don't figure in
as well.

It's in the daytime that the sensitivity of the DT200V (for its size)
shows up.

Words of wisdom Ron, and I mean that. Two factors moved me to post
this result. First, I believe it was the first time I ever picked up
Moncton, and second, it is just the idea that you can be half asleep
in bed and hear things from all around the eastern half of the country
with a unit that is so small.

Regards,

Grumpus

i confess Steveo CB 18 December 15th 04 05:20 AM
New ARRL Proposal N2EY Policy 331 March 4th 04 12:02 AM
Rare Books on Electronics and Radio and Commmunications Hania Lux Equipment 0 October 22nd 03 07:48 PM
Rare Books on Electronics and Radio and Commmunications Hania Lux Equipment 0 October 22nd 03 07:48 PM