Old May 10th 04, 11:48 PM
Michael

Default 05/10/04 Propagation ???

22:30 UTC 05/10/04

What is with propagation right now ???

I checked out http://hfradio.org/propagation.html

They state that there is a sunspot group:

"24 (NOAA 0606) is the most active as it produced a B4.4 flare."

Is that why I'm finding that the 49, 41, 31 meter bands all messed up ???
Massive fade out of usually very strong and relaible signals that are
falling below the noise floor at times.

--

Respectfully,

Michael

Location: Northern NJ
Primary Radio: R-75 with full Kiwa mods.
Antennas: 200ft "Frankenstein" roof wire, G5RV
Additional Radios:GE Super Radio III, PL-550,
KA-1101, KA-1102, Kaiwa KA-989, Info-Mate 837,
Westinghouse H-104 (seven tube)
Home Page: http://md_dxing.tripod.com/

Old May 10th 04, 11:53 PM
N8KDV

Michael wrote:

22:30 UTC 05/10/04

What is with propagation right now ???

I checked out http://hfradio.org/propagation.html

They state that there is a sunspot group:

"24 (NOAA 0606) is the most active as it produced a B4.4 flare."

Is that why I'm finding that the 49, 41, 31 meter bands all messed up ???
Massive fade out of usually very strong and relaible signals that are
falling below the noise floor at times.

Propagation should be pretty good, but who knows? I rely on my ears and
check:

http://www.n3kl.org/

if it seems as though something is up.

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

Old May 11th 04, 12:09 AM
N8KDV

Michael wrote:

22:30 UTC 05/10/04

What is with propagation right now ???

I checked out http://hfradio.org/propagation.html

They state that there is a sunspot group:

"24 (NOAA 0606) is the most active as it produced a B4.4 flare."

Is that why I'm finding that the 49, 41, 31 meter bands all messed up ???
Massive fade out of usually very strong and relaible signals that are
falling below the noise floor at times.

I'm still getting WBCQ here at S9 on my 10' indoor 'thunderstorm wire' at the
moment on the R8.

Old May 11th 04, 12:13 AM
John Doty

Michael wrote:
22:30 UTC 05/10/04

What is with propagation right now ???

I checked out http://hfradio.org/propagation.html

They state that there is a sunspot group:

"24 (NOAA 0606) is the most active as it produced a B4.4 flare."

A class B flare is barely a peep. Need a least a class M (100X stronger)
to have much effect.

Is that why I'm finding that the 49, 41, 31 meter bands all messed up ???
Massive fade out of usually very strong and relaible signals that are
falling below the noise floor at times.

I see neither significant solar activity nor magnetospheric disturbance
at http://www.sec.noaa.gov/today.html.

Ionospheric soundings at http://digisonde.haystack.edu/latestFrames.htm
look normal.

-jpd

Old May 11th 04, 12:26 AM
Michael

"John Doty" wrote in message
Michael wrote:
22:30 UTC 05/10/04

What is with propagation right now ???

I checked out http://hfradio.org/propagation.html

They state that there is a sunspot group:

"24 (NOAA 0606) is the most active as it produced a B4.4 flare."

A class B flare is barely a peep. Need a least a class M (100X stronger)
to have much effect.

Is that why I'm finding that the 49, 41, 31 meter bands all messed up

???
Massive fade out of usually very strong and relaible signals that are
falling below the noise floor at times.

I see neither significant solar activity nor magnetospheric disturbance
at http://www.sec.noaa.gov/today.html.

Ionospheric soundings at http://digisonde.haystack.edu/latestFrames.htm
look normal.

-jpd

I wonder if there is some sort of local noise source that is causing this
here... I even tried three different radios to make sure I wasn't dealing
with an electronics problem. I'm hearing a loud hiss that is drowning out
the signals. I can describe the hiss as exactly what it sounds like when
there is lightning, but this hiss is lasting for long periods of time. The
signal levels of stations like WWCR 9475 and BBC on 5975 are going from
strong and clear to barely audible above the noise I'm hearing. As the
"hiss" gets louder and stronger, the signal strength cuts out and I can't
hear anything over the hiss. I don't ever remember this happening before,
especially on such strong and reliable signals. This is weird.

Michael

Old May 11th 04, 12:28 AM
N8KDV

Michael wrote:

22:30 UTC 05/10/04

What is with propagation right now ???

I checked out http://hfradio.org/propagation.html

They state that there is a sunspot group:

"24 (NOAA 0606) is the most active as it produced a B4.4 flare."

Is that why I'm finding that the 49, 41, 31 meter bands all messed up ???
Massive fade out of usually very strong and relaible signals that are
falling below the noise floor at times.

I'm still getting WBCQ here at S9 on my 10' indoor 'thunderstorm wire' at the
moment on the R8.

And the fellow who is currently on 7415 at 2327 sounds like a real whacko.

Old May 11th 04, 06:09 AM
GO BEARCATS

Is that why I'm finding that the 49, 41, 31 meter bands all messed up ???

Yep Michael, the only reason I can hear Ed and the guys on 3890AM is because
all the options of filtering and whatnot on the Hammarlund HQ140X or I couldn't
hear them on any rice burner.

I wonder if that modder 398 could have got them tonight on my sloper. I doubt
it.

~^Monitoring The Spectrum^~
Hammarlund HQ129X /Heathkit Q Multiplier
Hammarlund HQ140X
Multiple GE P-780's(GREAT BCB Radios)
RCA Victor *Strato- World*
RCA Victor RJC77W-K(Walnut Grain)
1942 Zenith Wave Magnet 6G 601M
Cathedral/ Ross#2311/Rhapsody-MultiBand
DX100/394/*SUPER*398/399/402
OMGS Transistor Eight/Realistic 12-1451
Henry Kloss Model One/Bell+Howell
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Alpha Delta DX Sloper 57ft.
500ft. 12AWG. (non-terminated)
120ft. 12 AWG Sloper
2 Radio Shack Loop Antennas
Radio Shack Amplified Antenna
30X30 DiamondLoop(six section 830pf Cap)
* Diamond Loop mounted to Lazy Susan TurnTable*
*21/2X2ft.FiveSpoked~Penta-Loop~PancakeLoop*

Old May 11th 04, 06:13 AM
GO BEARCATS

A class B flare is barely a peep. Need a least a class M (100X stronger)
to have much effect.

The 90 and 75 meter band is all messed up at 0521UCT here in Cincinnati,Ohio.

I had to switch from the Alpha Delta DX sloper (which is a GREAT antenna) to my
500ft. wire to back off the noise.

Old May 11th 04, 06:20 AM
GO BEARCATS

I don't ever remember this happening before,
especially on such strong and reliable signals. This is weird.

It the newly purchased HAARP by the British backed by the Saudis, I'm half
joking and half serious.

You and whoever else is saying it, Ican only speak for say 2200UCT on, but the
bands were shot Mon. and Tues. Hope it clears up or HAARP stops playing around.

Old May 11th 04, 07:07 AM
Telamon

In article ,
"Michael" wrote:

"John Doty" wrote in message
Michael wrote:
[...]

Time to start snooping around with a portable radio.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California