Old May 14th 04, 02:19 AM
Tlfort

Default Steve..

Do you listen to much cw on sw? Are you pretty proficient at copying
code?

Tracy
Plonked and forgotten!

Bryant
M II
Volker "Hitler" Tonn
Bill Everfart
Jeff Angus
Old May 14th 04, 02:22 AM
N8KDV

Tlfort wrote:

Do you listen to much cw on sw? Are you pretty proficient at copying
code?

Don't listen to much. I'm a bit rusty actually, but it doesn't take to
long to get back up to speed.

I certainly haven't forgotten the code. Once you learn it you never
forget it.

I can copy fairly well though, at least the beacons and other stuff that
is slow or repetitive.

Something in particular you were looking at?

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

Old May 14th 04, 02:32 AM
Tlfort

On Thu, 13 May 2004 21:22:52 -0400, N8KDV
wrote:

Tlfort wrote:

Do you listen to much cw on sw? Are you pretty proficient at copying
code?

Don't listen to much. I'm a bit rusty actually, but it doesn't take to
long to get back up to speed.

I certainly haven't forgotten the code. Once you learn it you never
forget it.

I can copy fairly well though, at least the beacons and other stuff that
is slow or repetitive.

Something in particular you were looking at?

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

No, not really...I took my general written test 2 weeks ago and am
just now learning the code. Trying to do it at 11wpm. I've been going
for a week now and have learned 6 characters. It's no problem at 5 wpm
but it seems that certain letters run together above 11wpm. The
letters s and u seem to give me a bit of a problem. I'm thinking that
practice will take care of that. How did you go about picking up the
code?

Tracy
Plonked and forgotten!

Bryant
M II
Volker "Hitler" Tonn
Bill Everfart
Jeff Angus
Old May 14th 04, 02:48 AM
N8KDV

wrote:

Tlfort wrote:

[...]

Well, back when I got my first license back in 1970 it was actually quite
easier in a way.

I got my Novice license at 5 WPM. And that was all one had, there were no
voice privileges so you got on the air and started using the code.

It's surprising how fast you can build your speed up when that's all you got
to use.

Not sure what initial license class now has code privileges on HF, but you
might wish to look at some actual operating time to get your speed up.

Just immerse yourself in it, and it will come pretty easy.

I was out of it for a number of years and then went to take my General, I
never forgot the code.

Hadn't used it for about 18 years and passed the General code test on the
second try one day.

It was all because I'd used it so much in the years past.