Old May 19th 04, 11:41 PM
Radioman390

Default AF tests new weapon to limit terrorists' travel?

Terror Alert: As soon as it goes to orange from yellow...the AF steps in and
activates things

read on:

EGLIN AIR FORCE BASE -- A new military two-way radio system is keeping garage
doors shut in communities near this Florida Panhandle base and residents may
have to change the frequencies on their remote-controlled opening devices to
make them work.

Homeowners in Niceville, Valparaiso and the Crestview area reported jammed
garage door openers during recent testing of the new $5.5 million system at
Eglin.

Air Force officials Tuesday said the contractor, Motorola Inc., will try to
minimize the problem but they offered no guarantees.

``If we discover that we have some options in that area we'll definitely pursue
them,'' said Col. Russell F. Miller, commander of the 96th Communication Group.
``I want my garage door opener to work, too.''

Technicians will run the system at slightly different frequencies from those
used by garage door openers to try to eliminate or reduce the interference when
another test is conducted Friday through Monday.

Federal Communication Commission spokeswoman Lauren Van Wazer said the Air
Force has been running the system within its licensed frequencies, so users of
garage door openers may have to change theirs.

The problem may spread to residents near other military bases. A Navy spokesman
said a similar system has been requested for Pensacola Naval Air Station and
other nearby installations.
Old May 20th 04, 12:16 AM
warren

On 19 May 2004 22:41:51 GMT, (Radioman390) wrote:

[...]

What ever happened to the FCC rule against "causing harmful
interference to other services"?

I also have a license, (amateur), but that doesn't releive me of that
obligation!

Oh well, it looks like one of those (government is immune) hypocrital
rules. So what else is new?

Warren

Old May 20th 04, 12:24 AM
Diverd4777

Isn't this the same frequency that Wireless cell phones and Local Area Wireless
LANs work on ??

- If so
Real Bad...!

Dan / NYC

Old May 20th 04, 02:04 AM
Brenda Ann Dyer

"Diverd4777" wrote in message
Isn't this the same frequency that Wireless cell phones and Local Area

Wireless
LANs work on ??

- If so
Real Bad...!

Most garage door openers are in the 400MHz range (around 403 or so). Cell
phones are 850MHz or so. Wireless LAN's are 2.4 GHz.

Also, garage door openers are not a licensed service, and so must accept
interference from licensed services per Part 15 rules. The AF stuff is no
doubt licensed by the NTIA.

Old May 20th 04, 02:12 AM
JJ

warren wrote:

What ever happened to the FCC rule against "causing harmful
interference to other services"?

I also have a license, (amateur), but that doesn't releive me of that
obligation!

Oh well, it looks like one of those (government is immune) hypocrital
rules. So what else is new?

Warren

Do garage door openers fall under part 15 device rules? If so then they
must not cause any interference to any licensed service and must accept
any interference received.

Old May 20th 04, 05:29 AM
CW

Garage door openers are part 15 devices. They have no protection. "Other
services" means licensed radio services.