Old May 21st 04, 08:17 AM
Mike Terry

Default Funding Boost for Radio New Zealand International

18 May, 2004 03:16 UTC

New Zealand's Minister for Broadcasting has today announced a funding boost
for Radio New Zealand International, New Zealand's highly regarded
international short-wave broadcaster servicing listeners in the Pacific.

The Government is to provide $2.64 million dollars capital in 2005 - 2006
for a new digital capable (DRM) short-wave transmitter. An additional
$421,000 will be provided next year and in subsequent years to cover
operating costs. Radio New Zealand International currently has just one
analogue transmitter and it is nearing the end of its serviceable life.

Radio New Zealand International is the country's only short-wave station,
broadcasting 24 hours a day to audiences from Papua New Guinea in the west
to French Polynesia in the east, covering all South Pacific countries in
between.

While broadcasting mainly in English, Radio New Zealand International also
carries news in seven Pacific languages, making it one of the most listened
to stations in the South Pacific. News and information from the region flows
back to this country through radio New Zealand's domestic services -
providing an invaluable link home for New Zealand's growing Pacific Island
community.

Commenting on the funding announcement, Radio New Zealand Chief Executive,
Peter Cavanagh, emphasised the importance of the Radio New Zealand
International service:

" The new transmitter will secure the long term future of what has become a
vitally important service to the people of the Pacific region. This very
welcome funding recognises the significant part played by Radio New Zealand
International in increasing understanding and awareness of New Zealand's
role in the Pacific. "

Radio New Zealand International played a critical role when Niue was
devastated by cyclone Heta last year, providing the only means of
communication with the outside world and Radio New Zealand International
Manager, Linden Clark, says the Government announcement is a great boost for
the broadcaster.

"Today's funding announcement means that our Radio New Zealand International
programming can be delivered to the Pacific via a high quality signal ... it
'll sound like FM. We've known for a long time that our Pacific content is
the best there is - and now we'll know that our delivery system can match
it."

"This is a great vote of confidence, it not only protects, but also
strengthens the voice of New Zealand in the world's most widespread region,
a region where New Zealand really does make a difference. "

(For further information contact Linden Clark, Manager, Radio New Zealand
International Ph: + 64 4 474 1436, email )

http://www.rnzi.com/pages/whatsnew.php#79