Old May 23rd 04, 01:56 PM
Brian Hill

"GO BEARCATS" wrote in message
But it worked ok

Welp, that's the second *OK*......and if I were fixing to get it and I

heard
what I heard at R&L and then two back to back "OK's"....I wouldn't buy it.

You can
get em pretty cheap at swaps and on Ebay $25-50. Make sure it has the
software with it.

BUT - this part is better. For something just *OK*......you pay just an OK
price. Actually $50.00 IMO is too much for something to be OK.

Then you have to worry about software with it, has it been dinged up etc.

etc.

I'll tell him what I think, he's a big boy, he can do what he wants. I'd

pay
fifty if I absolutely KNEW without a doubt that the software works just

like it
was supposed to and the decoder itself did also. Other than that, it's not
worth IMO, I think MFJ gives you 30 days to check it out.

Thanks

Hi Dan. Like someone else said. No reader does great with cw. I've never
used any of the expensive programs like Hoka though. Maybe? they do. I use
the Universal and info tech units and they don't copy everything but usually
enough that I can make out the gest of whats being sent. I don't remember
the MFJ being worse and the Universal unit is probably the best you can get
in a box. Your not going to be out much with the MFJ $wise. You milage may
vary type of deal?

--
73 and good DXing.
Brian

Old May 27th 04, 06:15 AM
GO BEARCATS

It's a pain with the screws. Who knows though. You might
try it and love it. Just remember, you will need to keep a jewerlers
screwdriver handy.

It's a pain with the screws. Who knows though. You might
try it and love it. Just remember, you will need to keep a jewerlers
screwdriver handy.

Luckily I have oneof them, lots of miniature tools. But it says mothing in
their add about that, forget that....lol...it's gotta be easier to copy those
sounds then breaking out a jewelers screwdriver. {?} Whatever, should have
known.:-I

~^Monitoring The Spectrum^~
Hammarlund HQ129X /Heathkit Q Multiplier
Hammarlund HQ140X
Multiple GE P-780's(GREAT BCB Radios)
RCA Victor *Strato- World*
RCA Victor RJC77W-K(Walnut Grain)
1942 Zenith Wave Magnet 6G 601M
Cathedral/ Ross#2311/Rhapsody-MultiBand
DX100/394/*SUPER*398/399/402
OMGS Transistor Eight/Realistic 12-1451
Henry Kloss Model One/Bell+HowellSW
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Alpha Delta DX Sloper 57ft.
500ft. 12AWG. (non-terminated)
120ft. 12 AWG Long-Wire
2 Radio Shack Loop Antennas
Radio Shack Amplified Antenna
30X30 DiamondLoop(six section 830pf Cap)
* Diamond Loop mounted to Lazy Susan TurnTable*
*21/2X2ft.FiveSpoked~Penta-Loop~PancakeLoop*
~OptimusCTR-111Cassettte Recorder~
~Radio Shack 2Speed VOX#43-476~
~Ramsey Speech Scrambler~

Old May 27th 04, 06:19 AM
GO BEARCATS

What software? Are we talking about the same item? Mine uses no
software other than what may be in firmware.

I don't know, are we? I'm talking the multi-reader that is in EVERY monthly
edition of Pop Comm. at the top of the MFJ page. I gave the name and number in
the original post.

I also don't remember reading in the magazine about needing any 'jewlers
screwdriver' nor any 'software.'

Old May 27th 04, 06:23 AM
GO BEARCATS

Your not going to be out much with the MFJ $wise. You milage may
vary type of deal?

Your not going to be out much with the MFJ $wise. You milage may
vary type of deal?

I guess it depends if you think $159.99 or 169.99 means "you won't be out much
with the MFJ$wise." LOL

I can buy many accesories( more than just one) that I KNOW will add to the
shack for that amount. ;-)

Old May 31st 04, 05:15 PM
Mark Keith

GO BEARCATS wrote:

I told my friend that I'd ask in here and see what you all have to say about
it. Myself, I like the look and I'd love to be able to decode those noises I
here, personally- I think the price is a little steep- if I remember right,
they have 'raised' the price another $10.00 compared to a couple years back.

Thanks :-)

Myself, I would just go software, and let the computer be the "box". I'm
not sure what all that will decode, "I assume CW, RTTY, PSK31, etc..."
You can get free software on the web that will do the same thing. For
CW,RTTY, PSK31, etc, I use "Hamscope". I bet it works as well as the MFJ
box...For SSTV I use MMSSTV. For WESAT I use wxsat.exe. Myself, I
wouldn't waste the money on the MFJ unit. I bet it would do much you
can't do with free software. BTW, once you are set up for sound card
use, you can also run many other related programs. IE: I run spectralab
as a spectrum analyser. I have a few DSP programs. Have recorder
programs with VOX, etc..Almost unlimited.. MK
--
http://web.wt.net/~nm5k

Multi Elmac AF-67 Ralph M. Ferrara Equipment 2 January 7th 04 08:39 PM
Multi Elmac-AF67 manuals Ralph M. Ferrara Boatanchors 1 November 24th 03 03:41 AM
Multi Elmac AF-67 Ralph M. Ferrara Equipment 0 November 24th 03 03:41 AM
WTB:AEA MBA Reader Steve Equipment 0 November 6th 03 02:01 AM
Multi Band HF Vertical Lushy Homebrew 2 October 1st 03 12:35 AM