Old May 23rd 04, 04:49 PM
James Boyk

Default Shortwave in US car

Sorry to ask what must be a perennial question, but is a car radio now available
for US market which will get me here on the west coast the big international
stations (Netherlands, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, BBC)? Along with FM and
10k-spaced AM? And preferably with selectable sideband and synchronous
detection, like on my Sony 2010 at home? (Having lived with these features, I
don't see why anyone would make a receiver without them.) And, ideally, with CD
player also?

But I'd take just the SW part of all this, if it could be wired into the car
system. ('94 Mercury Villager)

Thanks,

Jim Boyk
http://www.performancerecordings.com

Old May 23rd 04, 05:23 PM
Arthur Pozner

Becker receivers have been standard radios installed in Mercedes Benz
over the years. Becker was selling them lately for around $500. Very
high grade of a car radio.

Old May 23rd 04, 07:42 PM
James Boyk

Thanks; but Becker's web site doesn't show any unit w/ SW---or did I miss it? -jb

Old May 23rd 04, 09:44 PM
Paul Bauer

beckers us site has discontinued sw radios.
the german site has them and also can be found on the net by searching for
model numbers.

paul

Old May 23rd 04, 10:23 PM
uncle arnie

On Sun, 23 May 2004 12:42 pm -0600 UTC, James Boyk
posted: %MM

Arthur Pozner wrote:

Becker receivers have been standard radios installed in Mercedes Benz
over the years. Becker was selling them lately for around $500. Very
high grade of a car radio.

Several Sony radios for autos exist.

Reference to them is found on this page, the links from the page however are
dead. http://www.worldofradio.com/rxtips.txt
You have to search for the radio names to find them in the page.

Have a look at http://www.rnw.nl/realradio/html/xr-c5100.html as well
--
-UA

Old May 24th 04, 12:39 AM
oan

James Boyk wrote in message ...
Thanks; but Becker's web site doesn't show any unit w/ SW---or did I miss it? -jb

No, you didn't miss anything.
I searched and surfed on the net for a very long time. No becker's
radio with shortwave! Only car radio you can buy with a whortwave
covering almost all band length is a sony xr ca620 or 640. But these
radios doesn't have LW band. their MW step is 9 kHz. No sync detection
or selectable side band at all. So, interference is a real problem
with them (I have a sony xr ca 620). Forget hard dxing but, I can
listen to the major broadcasters like BBC, Netherlands, VOR, VOIRI,
China and VOA comfortably.
If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask, I use
that radio in my car.

Old May 24th 04, 01:33 AM
Brian

Would you just use the cars existing antenna? Just curious.

Brian

Old May 24th 04, 07:34 AM
Rick Frazier

Jim:

I looked for quite awhile, but finally bought a Ham transceiver and installed it in
my truck. It covers all of the shortwave bands, and as a bonus, can also transmit
on the Ham bands. The one I got was a Yaesu FT857, but there are comparable radios
made by Icom and others. These "mini sized" full output radios could probably fit
in the dash location of a lot of cars, but I mounted mine under the passenger seat,
with the remote head on a bracket just behind the gearshift lever. Makes it easy to
tune while driving down the road, without stretching or bending.... I've tuned from
below broadcast band through 50mhz. Each band and mode has settable spacing, but I
don't know if it has Synchronous Detection on AM.... It still does a great job
cruising down the road. I typically listen to New Zealand radio on the way to work,
and Ham bands on the way home.

Just another option to consider if you want decent receiver sensitivity and wide
input frequency range.

--Rick

Old May 24th 04, 02:16 PM
David

Becker is more consumer junk from Harman International.

Old May 24th 04, 02:18 PM
David

You can get all the major International broadcasters crystal clear on
any Sirius satellite radio via WRN. Way under $200. No static at
all.

On Sun, 23 May 2004 08:49:21 -0700, James Boyk
wrote:

Sorry to ask what must be a perennial question, but is a car radio now available
for US market which will get me here on the west coast the big international
stations (Netherlands, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, BBC)? Along with FM and
10k-spaced AM? And preferably with selectable sideband and synchronous
detection, like on my Sony 2010 at home? (Having lived with these features, I
don't see why anyone would make a receiver without them.) And, ideally, with CD
player also?

But I'd take just the SW part of all this, if it could be wired into the car
system. ('94 Mercury Villager)

Thanks,

Jim Boyk
http://www.performancerecordings.com

my shortwave radio was confiscated by the Canadian Border Patrol Mediaguy500 Shortwave 24 May 15th 04 04:49 AM
I wonder... mike Shortwave 8 September 5th 03 04:38 AM
WHERE ARE ALL THE TOUGH GUYS IN THIS SHORTWAVE NEWSGROUP? Joe S. Shortwave 2 July 18th 03 04:50 AM
WHERE ARE ALL THE TOUGH GUYS IN THIS SHORTWAVE NEWSGROUP? Dxing Since 1957 Shortwave 0 July 4th 03 05:37 PM
WHERE ARE ALL THE TOUGH GUYS IN THIS SHORTWAVE NEWSGROUP? LLOYD DAVIES N0VFP General 0 July 4th 03 04:21 PM