Old May 25th 04, 03:30 PM
lsmyer

Default Kiss Your SW Radio Goodbye!

Frank Dresser asked "Is there even one politician or FCC commissioner who's
taken an anti-BPL stand?"

And I'm afraid the answer is no. Why would anyone want to be perceived as
trying to keep rural America poor and ignorant? To do so would be political
suicide in middle America.

And even though I'm against BPL as much as anyone here, I just can't see
anyone being on our side in this issue.

Sigh.

Old May 25th 04, 04:51 PM
Frank Dresser

"lsmyer" wrote in message
Frank Dresser asked "Is there even one politician or FCC commissioner

who's
taken an anti-BPL stand?"

And I'm afraid the answer is no. Why would anyone want to be perceived as
trying to keep rural America poor and ignorant? To do so would be

political
suicide in middle America.

And even though I'm against BPL as much as anyone here, I just can't see
anyone being on our side in this issue.

Sigh.

Your State regulatory commissioners and Stage legislature may take an
interest. BPL looks like a loser on technical and economic grounds. The
Federal government doesn't care about that, but the State government might.
They regulate the power company monopoly, and they have the responsibility
to insure that the power company isn't wasting money on pipe dreams. If BPL
flops, rate payers and investors will be stuck with the bill.

Speaking of investors, I'd think the stockholders would also take a
particular interest in the risks of a BPL failure.

Frank Dresser

Old May 25th 04, 11:00 PM
Brenda Ann Dyer

"Jim Douglas" wrote in message
So, if BPL is implemented in rural areas would the city slickers be OK? I
remember reading an article a while back that pretty much said if BPL

works
out there is nothing that will stand in it's way, this from the chairman

of
the FCC.

All the trials of BPL that I have read about have been in suburban areas and
small cities.. NONE have been in rural areas..

Old May 27th 04, 12:44 PM
Frank Dresser

"Stephen M.H. Lawrence" wrote in message
hlink.net...
(Sorry for top posting)

MSN seems to be on the hype bandwagon:

http://equipped.msn.com/article.aspx?aid=4

Here's the same article from Slate:

http://slate.msn.com/id/2097131/

There's no indication if the BPL roll out is any more impressive than the
one in Manassas, VA.

Frank Dresser

Old May 29th 04, 10:16 PM
Raqueeb Hassan

Too many technolgies but still out of reach for most people around the
world. Reaching 50 kms radius, there are loads of technologies around
too less for reaching a bigger audience. What if the
investors/researchers are for reaching some common goal -- to reach
all over the world! A common technology -- common platform.

raqueeb hassan
congo (drc)

--------------
Intel has developed a new wireless broadband technology call WiMax, which operates in the microwave region of the spectrum, and can cover entire cities. It is also suitable for rural areas with transmission distances up to 50 km. Intel is reported to have chips ready for production in just a few months.

Old May 29th 04, 10:19 PM
dxAce

Raqueeb Hassan wrote:

Too many technolgies but still out of reach for most people around the
world. Reaching 50 kms radius, there are loads of technologies around
too less for reaching a bigger audience. What if the
investors/researchers are for reaching some common goal -- to reach
all over the world! A common technology -- common platform.

raqueeb hassan
congo (drc)

What city are you in in the DRC?

Steve