Old May 31st 04, 12:23 AM
Telamon

In article ,
"Stig Hartvig Nielsen" wrote:

"starman" wrote:
The success of DRM doesn't depend on perfect propagation
conditions. If it did, the proponents of this technology wouldn't
consider using it for ionospheric propagation. It's a matter of how
degraded the conditions can be before the digital signal can not be
decoded properly. DRM has considerable tolerance for poor
propagation.

I have to disagree.

After trying the first "stand alone" DRM receiver for a week now
(from MAYAH) - I must say that so far I haven't been able to listen
to ANY broadcasts in DRM without many, many breaks. With the built in
telescopic aerial hardly anything in DRM is receivable but with an
outdoor longwire aerial I do get a few of the VERY strongest stations
broadcasting in DRM, such as RN, RTL and DW. However, so far I
haven't heard anything souding reasonable. It is impossible to
follow a programme because when the signal fades out briefly the
sound will become very distorted and then disappear for a few seconds
or even several seconds - then the distorted audio appears again and
then clean audio for a while till the next deep fade.

As everyone knows - with AM you can easily follow a programme even
though there is some fading.

Either is the MAYAH DRM receiver very very poor - or DRM is only
usuable when you have a local, stable signal with no fading.

Your experience is what I expect from this technology on short wave and
I don't think it has anything to do with your particular receiver being
poor.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old May 31st 04, 02:29 PM
Ruud Poeze

Telamon schreef:

In article ,
"Stig Hartvig Nielsen" wrote:

"starman" wrote:
[...]

If this is true, than DRM is not fit for SW, or any other frequency with
alternating frequency quality.
ruud
Old May 31st 04, 03:36 PM
David Clark

On Mon, 31 May 2004 00:04:33 +0200, "Stig Hartvig Nielsen"
wrote:

Either is the MAYAH DRM receiver very very poor - or DRM is only usuable
when you have a local, stable signal with no fading.

I wonder if your experience may be due to using the Mayah. I have been
using the WinRadio G303i PC-based receiver with the software-based DRM
decoder, and the result is superb: I have very few drop-outs on weak
signals, and no drop-outs whatsoever on strong stations.

Could it be that the DRM decoder used in the stand-alone Mayah
receiver is not that good as the PC-based one? One can imagine that
the PC-based software should be more sophisticated than the firmware
inside a chip...

David

Old June 2nd 04, 11:37 AM
Giovanni Landman

On Mon, 31 May 2004 15:29:57 +0200, Ruud Poeze wrote:

Telamon schreef:

In article ,
"Stig Hartvig Nielsen" wrote:

"starman" wrote:
[...]

Ruud, DRM is fitted for SW, but as receivers are still in the
development stage, DRM currently only works (more or less) reliably on
not-too-long distances from the transmitter, while using at least a long
wire antenna. DRM Rxs are currently not as good as plain old AM Rxs, to
say the least.

That's the impression I got from (yet another) review of the Mayah (in
German):
http://www.teltarif.de/arch/2004/kw23/s13868.html
(got the link from a german group, news:de.alt.hoerfunk , msg-id:
).

--

mvg,
Giovanni.

I wonder... mike Shortwave 8 September 5th 03 04:38 AM
USA Domestic Shortwave Broadcasters (CONUS) mike Shortwave 7 September 2nd 03 04:30 PM
WHERE ARE ALL THE TOUGH GUYS IN THIS SHORTWAVE NEWSGROUP? Joe S. Shortwave 2 July 18th 03 04:50 AM
WHERE ARE ALL THE TOUGH GUYS IN THIS SHORTWAVE NEWSGROUP? Dxing Since 1957 Shortwave 0 July 4th 03 05:37 PM
WHERE ARE ALL THE TOUGH GUYS IN THIS SHORTWAVE NEWSGROUP? LLOYD DAVIES N0VFP General 0 July 4th 03 04:21 PM