Old May 30th 04, 03:47 PM
Michael Bryant

Default Overwhelming Scientific Consensus on Warming

For those that say no reputable scientist would agree:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n..._DayAfter.html

Michael Bryant, WA4009SWL
Louisville, KY
R75, S800, RX320, SW77, ICF2010K,
DX398, 7600G, 6800W, RF2200, 7600A
GE SRll, Pro-2006, Pro-2010, Pro-76
(remove "nojunk" to reply)
Old May 30th 04, 03:52 PM
dxAce

Michael 'I'm a disgusting slug of a man' Bryant wrote:

For those that say no reputable scientist would agree:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n..._DayAfter.html

I do agree that you are a retard, Fat Boy.

You prove my point most every day!

Old May 30th 04, 04:09 PM
J999w

OFF TOPIC !!!

jw
K9RZZ

Old May 30th 04, 04:55 PM
Diverd4777

In article ,

From:
ocom (Michael Bryant)
Date: 30 May 2004 14:47:09 GMT

For those that say no reputable scientist would agree:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n..._DayAfter.html

But is global warming real?

The overwhelming scientific consensus is that global warming is real, and that
it's upon us now. In the last century, the average temperature of the Earth has
warmed roughly 1° Fahrenheit [0.56° Celsius]. That means an enormous additional
amount of heat energy has been built into the system, and there are serious
consequences to that warming.

What role does human activity play in global warming?

The atmosphere of the Earth is like a blanket that traps heat. It keeps the
temperature at the surface of the Earth about 50° or 60° [Fahrenheit/28° or 33°
Celsius] warmer than it would be otherwise, which is great because it makes the
world a pleasant place to live. But humans have been adding to the gases that
help trap this heat.

We've been adding to the stock of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere by taking
coal, oil, and natural gas out of the ground and burning them as fuels.
Combined with deforestation, this has added around a third of the amount of
carbon in the atmosphere.

How does climate change manifest itself?

Ocean levels are rising, because water expands as it heats up. Since there is
more energy in the system, storms may become more frequent and more violent.
Increased incidents of flooding create heavier runoffs and soil erosion.
Indirect effects of climate change can also cause entire species to go extinct.

In the movie, the influx of fresh water, caused by the melting of a massive ice
sheet, changes the salinity of the oceans, shutting down the Gulf Stream.

Could that happen?

In theory, that is realistic. Salty water is heavier than fresh water. When the
cold, salty current reaches the northern latitudes and gives out its heat, the
current actually sinks and flows back along the bottom of the ocean toward the
tropics.

When then there's a lot of fresh water added to that current, it may stop
flowing, because it's not dense enough to sink anymore.
In the past, retreating glaciers dumped enormous amounts of fresh water very
suddenly into the North Atlantic, and the currents stopped

Old May 30th 04, 05:49 PM
CRUSH THE LEFT

(Michael "Mega-Wide" Bryant) wrote:

For those that say no reputable scientist would agree:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n..._DayAfter.html

Yep, many scientists agree that NYC would be inundated by a huge wall of water
if Comrade Bryant was dropped into Long Island Sound from the rear cargo doors
of a C5-A transport plane.

Old May 31st 04, 12:50 AM
T. Early

"Michael Bryant" wrote in message
For those that say no reputable scientist would agree:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n..._DayAfter.html

Awww, from the header I actually thought there was going to be
evidence of an overwhelming consensus as opposed to -one guy saying-
there's a consensus.

And I believe the real dispute in this area is on whether the human
contribution to warming is a meaningful contributor to the issue.

Old May 31st 04, 01:43 AM
John Barnard

Core sampling and analysis for CO2 content does show periodic and cyclic
variations in CO2 levels. However, the quantities of CO2 have increased
dramatically over the last 100-150 years.

Regards

John Barnard

-=jd=- wrote:

On Sun 30 May 2004 11:55:33a, (Diverd4777) wrote in
message :

{snipped}

In the past, retreating glaciers dumped enormous amounts of fresh water
very suddenly into the North Atlantic, and the currents stopped

sarcasm
Preposterous! How could this have *possibly* occurred "naturally" before
without any influence from "man"?
/sarcasm

-=jd=-
--
My Current Disposable Email:

(Remove YOUR HAT to reply directly)

Old May 31st 04, 03:51 AM
WShoots1

However, the quantities of CO2 have increased dramatically over the last
100-150 years.

Probably due to the increase in human population. After all, we exhale CO2.

Bill, K5BY