Old May 31st 04, 06:19 PM
lsmyer

Default Noise Free Radio

Last night, our town was hit hard by a line of severe thunderstorms, and our
neighborhood's power went out about 2:00 am.

At first, I was having a hard time getting back to sleep (scared wife and
scared cat to deal with first). But once they were happily comforted and
snoozing, I turned on my radio and it sounded surprisingly nice!

Even though there was static from lightning for my first hour or so, all my
usual ever-present background noise was completely gone. And once the storm
passed on, my little radio was so full of nice sounding stations that I
almost hated to go back to sleep. But eventually, fatigue took over, and
just as I was drifting off, the power came on, and the radio started its
usual buzzing and beeping.

Sigh.

Old May 31st 04, 06:23 PM
Brian Hill

"lsmyer" wrote in message just as I was drifting
off, the power came on, and the radio started its
usual buzzing and beeping.

Sigh.

Yeap I know. I used to love and DX at our cabin. No power and no noise. Just
me my radio and batteries.

--
73 and good DXing.
Brian

Old June 1st 04, 02:18 AM
Pete & Renee Davis

!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en"
html
I noticed the same thing last week when we had a couple of nights of thunderstorms.
In between the lightening crashes the usual background on the BCB was surprisingly
absent. The effect lasted until about an hour after the storms had passed
my area, then the usual fading and racket gradually reappeared.
pWe had no power outages; apparently it was the storms themselves that
temporarily "improved" reception. Other than the storms canceling out the
positive and negative atmospheric charges, I am at a loss to explain it.
Perhaps someone else on the group can enlighten us.
pPete Davis
plsmyer wrote:
blockquote TYPE=CITELast night, our town was hit hard by a line of severe
thunderstorms, and our
brneighborhood's power went out about 2:00 am.
pAt first, I was having a hard time getting back to sleep (scared wife
and
brscared cat to deal with first). But once they were happily comforted
and
brsnoozing, I turned on my radio and it sounded surprisingly nice!
pEven though there was static from lightning for my first hour or so,
all my
brusual ever-present background noise was completely gone. And once the
storm
brpassed on, my little radio was so full of nice sounding stations that
bralmost hated to go back to sleep. But eventually, fatigue took over,
and
brjust as I was drifting off, the power came on, and the radio started
its
brusual buzzing and beeping.
pSigh./blockquote
/html