Old June 8th 04, 08:47 PM
AK

BPL - impact on radio communications
As tests and any sort of technical common sense would make obvious,
broadband transmissions on miles of unshielded power lines will create havoc
with the reception of micro-volt level radio communication signals. The
concept is pure nonsense to anyone with a technical background. My BSEE
(with communications specialization) and top FCC commercial and amateur
radio licenses does not make me a great expert, but anyone with a
comprehension of radio transmission and reception knows that the BPL concept
does not work, unless basic MF & HF radio is sacrificed. BPL is a poorly
thought out concept, with the unlikely potential for profit driving this
otherwise unfathomable concept. Please get some honest technical input
before allowing this BPL debacle to continue.
Sincerely, AK

"yea right" wrote in message
news
If you value radio, this may be the last and only chance to have your
voice heard to stop BPL from destroying your hobby. The FCC has extended
the comment period for BPL.

It is VERY simple to file a FCC comment. Click the link below and enter

03-104

in box #1 (proceeding number) and fill in the blanks. The simplest way to
comment is to type your comment into the box on the bottom of the form.

http://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/ecfs/upload_v2.cgi

If you can't think of any thing to type or wish to make this as painless
as possible, you can cut-n-paste the comment I typed below.

Thanks for the info & the FCC link. AK

Old June 8th 04, 09:36 PM
Brian Hill

"AK" wrote in message
[...]

Yes AK your right on target. Theres a link on my websight were you can go
and sign a petition to help stop BPL.
--
73 and good DXing.
Brian

Old June 8th 04, 10:22 PM
Bob Miller

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 19:47:48 GMT, "AK" wrote:

BPL - impact on radio communications
As tests and any sort of technical common sense would make obvious,
broadband transmissions on miles of unshielded power lines will create havoc
with the reception of micro-volt level radio communication signals. The
concept is pure nonsense to anyone with a technical background. My BSEE
(with communications specialization) and top FCC commercial and amateur
radio licenses does not make me a great expert, but anyone with a
comprehension of radio transmission and reception knows that the BPL concept
does not work, unless basic MF & HF radio is sacrificed. BPL is a poorly
thought out concept, with the unlikely potential for profit driving this
otherwise unfathomable concept. Please get some honest technical input
before allowing this BPL debacle to continue.
Sincerely, AK

Nice letter, but it will fall on deaf ears -- FCC head Michael Powell
is a cheerleader for BPL.

My suggestion: vote for John Kerry on Nov. 2nd. Kerry does not like
Powell. Powell will be out. And we can start afresh with a new FCC
head, one who might worry more about the consequences of BPL than this
business-friendly administration ever will.

Bob
k5qwg

Old June 9th 04, 12:51 AM
JJ

AK wrote:

BPL - impact on radio communications
As tests and any sort of technical common sense would make obvious,
broadband transmissions on miles of unshielded power lines will create havoc
with the reception of micro-volt level radio communication signals. The
concept is pure nonsense to anyone with a technical background. My BSEE
(with communications specialization) and top FCC commercial and amateur
radio licenses does not make me a great expert, but anyone with a
comprehension of radio transmission and reception knows that the BPL concept
does not work, unless basic MF & HF radio is sacrificed. BPL is a poorly
thought out concept, with the unlikely potential for profit driving this
otherwise unfathomable concept. Please get some honest technical input
before allowing this BPL debacle to continue.
Sincerely, AK

Unfortunately the folks at the FCC that are pushing BPL have zero
comprehension of radio transmission or reception, in fact have zero
comprehension of anything technical. They are a bunch of lawyers who
only comprehend money. Chairman Powell wouldn't know a transistor from a
doorknob, I doubt he can turn on a tv without help. He will probably
leave the FCC after BPL gets rolling for some cushy outrageous paying
position at some BPL intenty as his reward for helping to push this
debacle down everyone's throats.

Old June 9th 04, 01:06 AM
AK

"Bob Miller" wrote in message

Nice letter, but it will fall on deaf ears -- FCC head Michael Powell
is a cheerleader for BPL.

Sadly, I am aware of that. Either he's been paid off, or the people pulling
his strings have been paid off by the power company special interest reps.
My "but anyone with a comprehension of radio transmission and reception
knows that the BPL concept does not work" and "unfathomable concept"
comments were certainly directed Powell's way. Oh for the good ol' days when
at least one or two of the FCC Commissioners were ex-FCC field engineers who
understood something about the medium they were supposed to be in charge of.

AK

Old June 9th 04, 01:33 AM
Bob Miller

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 00:06:30 GMT, "AK" wrote:

"Bob Miller" wrote in message
.. .

Nice letter, but it will fall on deaf ears -- FCC head Michael Powell
is a cheerleader for BPL.

Sadly, I am aware of that. Either he's been paid off, or the people pulling
his strings have been paid off by the power company special interest reps.

When Powell travels to industry functions/conventions, his hotel
room/suite is usually paid for by broadcast reps. He hangs out with
them, parties with them. As an attorney, he used to represent media
conglomerates. His preferences are well known.

Bob
k5qwg

Old June 9th 04, 06:22 AM
longwave

Bob Miller wrote:

My suggestion: vote for John Kerry on Nov. 2nd. Kerry does not like
Powell. Powell will be out. And we can start afresh with a new FCC
head, one who might worry more about the consequences of BPL than this
business-friendly administration ever will.

The FCC commissioners have fixed terms. They can't be replaced until
their terms are up. Powell's term expires on June 30, 2007. However
there's talk that he will resign before the end of his term to take a
higher position in Washington.

Old June 9th 04, 01:55 PM
Alex

Hi,

Almost all the fcc commissioners, Mr. Powell included, have legal backgrounds,
experience writing legislation for communciations industry (lobbyists ??)
special interests and working for members in congress.

Three of the comm. have received degrees from universities in
north carolina.

You are correct, it is about the money.

They tried this back in the late 1970's here in ny,
they wanted to eliminate the meter readers to save money
but that did not work out.

Don't know why they want to use the hf regions, why not 10 gig ?

Plus, dsl just dropped the price here another $ 5.00 per month to
be less expensive the the cable co. road runner net.

I don't have a tech degree or work in rf but the harmonics
over miles of cable and the expense of these repeaters and or filters
seems too expensive to turn a profit in rural areas that bpl was pushing for.

BTW, one city in MD has parted ways with their bpl partner and is looking
for another one, after spending lots of money to wire up their city.

alex

Old June 9th 04, 01:56 PM
Alex

FCC Comm. have terms,
half are dem and other half are rep.

Powell will be there for a while.
He has connections.

Old June 9th 04, 02:04 PM
Frank Dresser

"Bob Miller" wrote in message

Nice letter, but it will fall on deaf ears -- FCC head Michael Powell
is a cheerleader for BPL.

My suggestion: vote for John Kerry on Nov. 2nd. Kerry does not like
Powell. Powell will be out. And we can start afresh with a new FCC
head, one who might worry more about the consequences of BPL than this
business-friendly administration ever will.

Bob
k5qwg

Why do you think Kerry thinks any different than Bush on BPL? Bush has
already gone on record as being "pro-choice" on BPL. Has Kerry staked out
the opposite side of the issue?

Which politician, of either party, is against BPL? Which FCC commissioner,