Old June 6th 04, 07:03 PM
J999w

Default My new antenna ...

.... ROCKS !

I've got this 70 ft high oak tree in the back yard and have always used it for
wires, but have struggled getting up past the 40 or 45 ft mark. Well, I finally
got smart, went out and bought a new fishing rod, and after a couple of tries
using my "Wrist Rocket", I slung a nut/bolt/washers over the TOP of the tree
with ease. YEAH ! THAT's what I'm talking about !!

I then pulled up some nylon cord, and followed that with a twisted pair of #20
wire, soldered together at the end (was either that or #14 house wire). The
wire slopes down to the basement window, then in, through an antenna tuner,
then to the radio.

First off, it looks awesome. It starts at 2 ft above ground and slopes up at
about 45 degrees into the sky (okay, about 70ft). Secondly, it works better! I
think the antenna tuner is a big part of the equation.

On the AM BCB, now during the day I've got semi-local 1540khz WTKM at S9+30db
on my Yaesu FT-767gx. With what was my best antenna, a 55ft piece of hardline
hung in a pine tree, it was S9 at best. Last night, signals above 1500khz (the
lowest my tuner will go right now) were S9+40db. Unreal.

Tuning around last night amonst all the static crashes I heard (tentatively) La
Voz del Napo (new for me), 3279.55khz, from Equador at about S9 (crashes to
30db over S9). R. Mauritanie on 4845khz was an incredible S9+40db. CFRX,
6070khz, is S9 in the daytime. Higher up, I'm not sure how it's working yet,
but I'm hearing R. Hungary at sign on, 1700z, 15,335khz and I was working
Japan and Australia on 20m CW last night.

Will do some further testing and A/B comparisons, but so far, this aerial is a
winner !

73,

John Wilke
K9RZZ
Milwaukee

Old June 6th 04, 10:28 PM
Tony Meloche

J999w wrote:

[...]

It isn't *always* true, but it is *largely* true that the higher your
antenna, the better the signal. Except when it isn't ;)
Congratulations, John!

Tony

Old June 6th 04, 10:38 PM
R.F. Collins

Added height is always good, but make sure you have the proper static
discharge / lightning protection. These are what I use:

http://www.arraysolutions.com/Products/ice/3.html

They have coax and open wire models.

Jim

Old June 7th 04, 07:01 AM
J999w

So, John, how did you anchor it in the oak?

H Davis

Right now, it's just nylon cord up and over. Will replace with light rope in
time.

Kinda wish it was fall right now, was listening to Zimbabwe on 3306khz earlier,
signals were S9, but the static crashes were killing me!

jw
K9RZZ

Old June 7th 04, 01:20 PM
RHF

JW,

If all you have is a Single Tree or other support structure;
then consider the Inverted "V" Antenna 'shape' for an End-Fed
single wire antenna. {What Goes Up Must Come Down }

So, I would recommend 'extending' your Antenna Wire Element
from the Top of the Tree back down to the Ground to form
an End-Fed Inverted "V" Antenna.

At the "Far-End" install a Ground Rod with a Lightening Arrestor.

Use what ever method you like to secure/tension the Far-End.

Also, consider using a TERMINATING RESISTOR to "Tune/Match"
your Antenna to your Receiver. Buy a couple of 1/4W 5% Carbon
Film Resistor {5 Packs] from RadioShack for a Buck a piece:
Try 1800 Ohms, 1500 Ohms and 560 Ohms.

START with the 1800 Ohm Resistors and connect two resistors
together in parallel; by simply twist the leads together. {900 Ohms}
Then connect them between the Antenna's Far-End and the Ground Rod.

TEST the general Signal Strength and Noise Level of the Antenna
with your Receiver across your 'primary' Shortwave Listening Bands.
+ Add a 3rd Parallel Resistor and Re-Test. {600 Ohms}
+ Add a 4th Parallel Resistor and Re-Test. {450 Ohms}
+ Add a 5th Parallel Resistor and Re-Test. {360 Ohms}

IF these 1800 Ohm Resistor 'combinations' do not seem to work well;
then try the 1500 Ohms Resistor 'combinations':
+ Two Parallel 1500 Ohm Resistors and Re-Test. {750 Ohms}
+ Three Parallel 1500 Ohm Resistors and Re-Test. {500 Ohms}
+ Four Parallel 1500 Ohm Resistors and Re-Test. {375 Ohms}
+ Five Parallel 1500 Ohm Resistors and Re-Test. {300 Ohms}

IF these 1500 Ohm Resistor 'combinations' do not seem to work well;
then try the 560 Ohms Resistor 'combinations':
+ Two Parallel 560 Ohm Resistors and Re-Test. {280 Ohms}
+ Three Parallel 560 Ohm Resistors and Re-Test. {187 Ohms}
+ Four Parallel 560 Ohm Resistors and Re-Test. {140 Ohms}
+ Five Parallel 560 Ohm Resistors and Re-Test. {112 Ohms}

The Inverted "V" 'shape' of a Single Wire Antenna allows for
the 'placement' of a the "Primary Grounding Point" of the
Antenna System away from the Radios and the House.

The Terminating Resistors allow for both 'Static Bleed-Off'
and the "Tuning/Matching" of the Antenna to your Receiver.

An ALTERNATIVE would be to still extend the Antenna Wire into an
Inverted "V" shape with a Ground Rod with a Lightening Arrestor
at the Far-End. PLUS use a 9:1 Matching Transformer at the
Near-End with another Ground Rod and Coax Cable Feed-in-Line
to the Receiver. This is basically an Antenna that uses the
"Low Noise Antenna" 'design concepts' that were popularized
by John Doty. {Please READ These Three Links}
http://www.anarc.org/naswa/badx/ante...e_antenna.html
http://www.anarc.org/naswa/badx/ante..._longwire.html
http://www.anarc.org/naswa/badx/antennas/grounding.html

iane ~ RHF
..
Some Say: On A Clear Day You Can See Forever.
I BELIEVE: On A Clear Night...
You Can Hear Forever and Beyond - The Beyond !
..
..
= = = ...

Old June 7th 04, 03:54 PM
J999w

JW,

If all you have is a Single Tree or other support structure;
then consider the Inverted "V" Antenna 'shape' for an End-Fed
single wire antenna. {What Goes Up Must Come Down }

I could, but it's working great as is. I'm getting awesome signals out of
Africa on 90 meters and adding more wire is just going to change the pattern.
No complaints on all the other bands either (hmmmm, I haven't tried it on 6
yet).

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

:^]

I did add some 1/4 wave counterpoise wires for 40m ... had lots of RF in the
shack when transmitting.

Thanks for the input.

jw
K9RZZ

Old June 8th 04, 02:02 AM
R.F. Collins

The counterpoise makes sense. It would be similar to one of those
giant sloping 1/4 wave verticals for 80 meters. You could add a few
more ground radials for different bands. Should work lots of dx with
that setup.

Old June 8th 04, 07:49 AM
GO BEARCATS

but I'm hearing R. Hungary at sign on, 1700z, 15,335khz and I was working
Japan and Australia on 20m CW last night.

Will do some further testing and A/B comparisons, but so far, this aerial

is a
winner !

73,

John Wilke
K9RZZ
Milwaukee

Excited huh John?!?! Good job -have fun:-)

~^Monitoring The Spectrum^~
Hammarlund HQ129X /Heathkit Q Multiplier
Hammarlund HQ140X
Multiple GE P-780's(GREAT BCB Radios)
RCA Victor *Strato- World*
RCA Victor RJC77W-K(Walnut Grain)
1942 Zenith Wave Magnet 6G 601M
Cathedral/ Ross#2311/Rhapsody-MultiBand
DX100/*SUPER-DELUXE Mod- DRIVEN*394/*Modded*398/399/402
OMGS Transistor Eight/Realistic 12-1451
Henry Kloss Model One/Bell+HowellSW
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Alpha Delta DX Sloper 57ft.
500ft. 12AWG. (non-terminated)
120ft. 12 AWG Long-Wire
2 Radio Shack Loop Antennas
Radio Shack Amplified Antenna
30X30 DiamondLoop(six section 830pf Cap)
* Diamond Loop mounted to Lazy Susan TurnTable*
*21/2X2ft.FiveSpoked~Penta-Loop~PancakeLoop*
~OptimusCTR-111Cassettte Recorder~
~Radio Shack 2Speed VOX#43-476~
~Ramsey Speech Scrambler~

Old June 8th 04, 07:55 AM
GO BEARCATS

I could, but it's working great as is. I'm getting awesome signals out of
Africa on 90 meters and adding more wire is just going to change the pattern.
No complaints on all the other bands either (hmmmm, I haven't tried it on 6
yet).

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

:^]

I did add some 1/4 wave counterpoise wires for 40m ... had lots of RF in the
shack when transmitting.

Thanks for the input.

jw
K9RZZ

Here's your test John, get in there and scap around in the 60 meter band. ;-)
That's the *real* test. I'm talking of listening not txing.

[...]

Discone antenna plans [email protected] Antenna 13 January 14th 05 11:51 PM
Yaesu FT-857D questions Joe S. Equipment 6 October 25th 04 09:40 AM
LongWire Antenna Jim B Shortwave 5 March 2nd 04 09:36 AM
Short STACKED Vertical {Tri-Band} BroomStick Antenna [Was: Wire ant question] RHF Shortwave 0 February 23rd 04 12:59 PM
EH Antenna Revisited Walter Maxwell Antenna 47 January 16th 04 04:34 AM