Old June 7th 04, 03:22 AM
Carter Grabarczyk

Default SONY ICF-PRO 80 question

Group,

I just got a Sony ICF-PRO 80 scanner at an estate sale. Unfortunately,
it came with no instructions but I've managed to figure out most of the
operations.

However, even though all the tuning and scanning functions work fine and
I can hear stations, the audio output is very low. I thought it might be
a dirty lifting connection on the earphone jack, so I plugged in an
earphone and "exercised" the jack. It made no difference and the
earphone volume was also on the low side. BTW, the low volume condition
occurs on the AM and FM band (audio output is so low, i did not try
short wave). So, here are my questions...

I doubt it, but is this "cockpit error" or a known problem with the PRO 80?

If the answer to the above is "no", where can I get a schematic and/or
service information for this radio? Sony, Sams Photofact, 3rd party vendor?

Thanks in advance for any info!

73/Carter/K8VT

Old June 7th 04, 04:36 AM
Mike

On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 02:22:05 GMT, Carter Grabarczyk
wrote:

[...]

I used to love this radio....but.....mine hit the trash pile about a
year ago. It seems the electrolytic caps that they used are of poor
quality and die after a few years. At first I lost the am and ssb.
then the fm and finally everything. I have recapped many radios and
attempted the repair but the caps are so small I botched it. I threw
the unit out.

I was a shame as I paid over 300.00 for the radio in the 1980's and
expected a longer life.

Good Luck

Mike
Old June 7th 04, 04:56 AM
Brian Hill

Kiwa will do the work if your not up to it or they'll sell you the kit. Go
to my websight and hit the link marked "My Listening Post" and theres a link
to the Pro 80 page Kiwa has.
--
73 and good DXing.
Brian

y.com...

Old June 9th 04, 12:19 PM
Carter Grabarczyk

Thanks to all that responded!

Looks like a known problem, and I have the Kiwa kit on order (not so
much for the parts per se but mostly for the information sheet)...

Thanks again to all!

73/Carter/K8VT