Old June 8th 04, 09:41 PM
dxAce

Default (OT) Transit of Venus

Got up this morning and was able to view the transit of Venus across the
sun.

Used a couple of welding helmet lenses I had here for viewing eclipses
in the past.

Anyone else get a chance to view it?

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

Old June 8th 04, 10:05 PM
MnMikew

"dxAce" wrote in message
Got up this morning and was able to view the transit of Venus across the
sun.

Used a couple of welding helmet lenses I had here for viewing eclipses
in the past.

Anyone else get a chance to view it?

Nothing but clouds here in mpls/mn.

Old June 8th 04, 10:38 PM
Larry Ozarow

I was out on the lawn with a 6" scope and a filter I made
out of Baader Astrosolar film. Thanks to a hill to the east,
the sun didn't clear the trees till about 7am EDT, so I got started
just before the disk began its egress. Still a very cool sight.

A friend of mine was seriously looking forward to it and then
found out he had to travel on business to California this week.

Old June 8th 04, 11:21 PM
Diverd4777

In article , helmsman

Subject: (OT) Transit of Venus
From: helmsman
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 21:22:23 GMT

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 16:41:01 -0400, dxAce wrote:

Got up this morning and was able to view the transit of Venus across the
sun.

Used a couple of welding helmet lenses I had here for viewing eclipses
in the past.

Anyone else get a chance to view it?

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

I used a box but the old eyes couldn't pick it out :'(

Tried the image from Binoculars, couldn't find it; -

( will look at Sky & Telescope Website )

Old June 9th 04, 06:46 AM
Mark S. Holden

dxAce wrote:
Got up this morning and was able to view the transit of Venus across the
sun.

Used a couple of welding helmet lenses I had here for viewing eclipses
in the past.

Anyone else get a chance to view it?

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

My astronomical society went to the shore for it - got there at 3:30 to
polar align the scope and do some fall observing a bit early - but
clouds came in as soon as we were set up. The clouds cleared late - but
I was able to shoot about 80 photos in the last 10 minutes.

Here are some compressed images of two of my pictures:

http://users.adelphia.net/~msholden/VenusT0513es.jpg

http://users.adelphia.net/~msholden/VenusT0539es.jpg

They were taken with Nikon D70 and a TMB 175 f8 with a Baader filter on
an AP 900gto mount.

Old June 9th 04, 11:40 AM
Diverd4777

In article , "Mark S. Holden"

Old June 9th 04, 03:06 PM
lsmyer

Too foggy here in KY.

Old June 9th 04, 07:35 PM
Beloved Leader

"Mark S. Holden" wrote in message ...

My astronomical society went to the shore for it - got there at 3:30 to
polar align the scope and do some fall observing a bit early - but
clouds came in as soon as we were set up.

I snoozed; I lost - maybe. People in some places in or near DC saw it;
others did not.

"One Small Spot, Hundreds of Watchers
Crowds Rise Early to See Transit of Venus"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...-2004Jun8.html