Old June 10th 04, 01:06 PM
Charlie B.

Default R8B Controll software for Windows98

I own a Drake R8B receiver and am looking for a reasonably price control
software package. I'm using the Smart 32 R8 from Fineware but it
expires soon. The ERGO software looks good
but after downloading the DEMO from the WWW it wont work ,sayimng the
demo is expired.I'd purchase it but probably would have a problem if it didnt work.
Does anyone know of a windows based package that is avaiulble.

Regards
Chaz
Old June 10th 04, 01:15 PM
dxAce

"Charlie B." wrote:

I own a Drake R8B receiver and am looking for a reasonably price control
software package. I'm using the Smart 32 R8 from Fineware but it
expires soon.

I don't use any computer control here, but I'm curious as to why the Smart R8 software
would expire.

I do have the program on discs here.

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

Old June 10th 04, 01:43 PM
Brian Hill

"dxAce" wrote in message

"Charlie B." wrote:

I own a Drake R8B receiver and am looking for a reasonably price control
software package. I'm using the Smart 32 R8 from Fineware but it
expires soon.

I don't use any computer control here, but I'm curious as to why the Smart

R8 software
would expire.

I do have the program on discs here.

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

Yea it won't stop working but Mark has stoped suporting his software. Maybe
thats what he means?

--
73 and good DXing.
Brian

Old June 10th 04, 01:48 PM
dxAce

Brian Hill wrote:

"dxAce" wrote in message

"Charlie B." wrote:

I own a Drake R8B receiver and am looking for a reasonably price control
software package. I'm using the Smart 32 R8 from Fineware but it
expires soon.

I don't use any computer control here, but I'm curious as to why the Smart

R8 software
would expire.

I do have the program on discs here.

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

Yea it won't stop working but Mark has stoped suporting his software. Maybe
thats what he means?

That could very well be. I looked at the discs that I have here and it's the
version for Windows95.

I had popped it on the other puter I had that had Win95 on it and looked at it,
but I've never really been interested in computer control of the radio.

Old June 10th 04, 02:02 PM
Brian Hill

"dxAce" wrote in message
That could very well be. I looked at the discs that I have here and it's

the
version for Windows95.

I had popped it on the other puter I had that had Win95 on it and looked

at it,
but I've never really been interested in computer control of the radio.

You should try it Steve. I'm like you . I like using the tunning knob but I
also like the software for easier direct entry of freqs and it remembers all
the differant entries you make so if I'm listening to say the BBC and also
listening for pirates. I can just toggle quickly through em all and not miss
much of a program I'm listening to on another station. It just makes the
radio a little more versatile. RLDB is still being written by Mark and its a
good resorce too.

Old June 10th 04, 02:04 PM
beaver

"Charlie B." wrote in message
om...
I own a Drake R8B receiver and am looking for a reasonably price control
software package. I'm using the Smart 32 R8 from Fineware but it
expires soon. The ERGO software looks good
but after downloading the DEMO from the WWW it wont work ,sayimng the
demo is expired.I'd purchase it but probably would have a problem if it

didnt work.
Does anyone know of a windows based package that is avaiulble.

Regards
Chaz

There's a freeware program called SWLOG that has radio control for R8A &
R8B. I've tested it on R8A and it works fine using XP. You will probably
have to update some Windows system files. http://www.shortwavelog.com/.
Ergos and SWLOG both haveYahooGroups.

Old June 10th 04, 03:14 PM
David

My favorite feature of Smart R8 Control 32 is the fact it remembers
your entries so you can go back.

Old June 11th 04, 01:11 AM
Clark Neider

"-=jd=-" wrote in message
On Thu 10 Jun 2004 09:04:10a, "beaver" wrote in
message :

"Charlie B." wrote in message
om...
I own a Drake R8B receiver and am looking for a reasonably price
control software package. I'm using the Smart 32 R8 from Fineware but
it expires soon. The ERGO software looks good
but after downloading the DEMO from the WWW it wont work ,sayimng the
demo is expired.I'd purchase it but probably would have a problem if it

didnt work.
Does anyone know of a windows based package that is avaiulble.

Regards
Chaz

There's a freeware program called SWLOG that has radio control for R8A &
R8B. I've tested it on R8A and it works fine using XP. You will
probably have to update some Windows system files.
http://www.shortwavelog.com/. Ergos and SWLOG both haveYahooGroups.

SWLOG's pretty nice. It's the log-prog I've settled on. But you have to
install the .Net framework and some folks are antsy about things they
don't know about. I have had *zero* problems with it on my XP box and
overall I'm very pleased. It does have many features, control of various
radios being one sub-set. For all it does and how it does it, I'd
recommend it for consideration by anyone who's looking around for such
stuff.

-=jd=-
--
My Current Disposable Email:

(Remove YOUR HAT to reply directly)

You guys are AWESOME! I'm having the same problem since upgrading my PC and
software to Windows XP. Smart R8 was fine on Windows 2000, but it's
sluggish on XP. It was great while Mr. Fine supported it with program
updates and all the neat stuff. I'll try SWLOG. Extra points if it
generates reception reports.

I'm also looking for something to replace ScanCat 7.5. The current version
is supposed to support XP, but not in my shack.

BTW, doesn't it bother Drake users that Drake doesn't have software to
support it's R8's in the 21st Century? The original version I used on DOS
and Windows 3.1 is worthless. I'm surprised they haven't kept up with the
times.

Clark KK7DY

Old June 11th 04, 01:24 AM
dxAce

Clark Neider wrote:

"-=jd=-" wrote in message
On Thu 10 Jun 2004 09:04:10a, "beaver" wrote in
message :

"Charlie B." wrote in message
om...
[...]

My guess is that they are not in the software business, preferring instead to
leave that up to other vendors.

Old June 11th 04, 02:53 AM
Clark Neider

"dxAce" wrote in message

Clark Neider wrote:

"-=jd=-" wrote in message
On Thu 10 Jun 2004 09:04:10a, "beaver" wrote

in
message :

"Charlie B." wrote in message
om...
[...]

Too bad. I just tried SWLOG. It doesn't run my Drake R8. Also, It was
sluggish on Windows XP Pro so I uninstalled it.

This is what I want to control:

Drake R8
ICOM 7100
ICOM 821H
ICOM 756
MFJ 1278 TNC (a lost cause, but that's a separate issue)
Optoelectronics Scout.

I have the ICOM CT17 running off a serial port and a few USB ports
available.