Old June 11th 04, 07:56 AM
Sara

Default Active Antenna With Icom R75?

Are there any INDOOR active antennas that would work well with an Icom
R75? I'm only interested in medium wave and shortwave. What kind of
performance can I expect from an indoor active antenna? What is
available out there? Thank you!

Sara
Old June 11th 04, 01:28 PM
RHF

SARA,

The Icom IC-R75 (r-75) has two 'built-in' Pre-Amplifiers.

SO... WHY ? Complicate things with another outboard Pre-Amplifier ?

"IF" (Big IF) you can NOT have (use) an "OutSide" External Antenna
then build the Best and Biggest "InDoor" Antenna that you can and
use one of the Icom IC-R75's (R-75) 'built-in' Pre-Amplifiers with it.

"Two InDoor [Hidden] SWL Antenna Ideas" for the Icom IC-R75 (R-75).
Note - Instead of the Push-Pins 'small' Cup-Hooks can be use.

PRE_SELECTOR: A small 'passive' Antenna Pre-Selector like the
MFJ-956 can be used with one of these InDoor [Hidden] SWL Antennas
and the Icom IC-R75 (R-75). The MFJ-956 is a very small box.
MFJ= http://www.mfjenterprises.com/produc...prodid=MFJ-956
The MFJ-956 greatly improves reception from 150 kHz to 30 MHz;
especially below 2 MHz.

READ: "A 'look' at three MFL Antenna Turners / Pre-Selectors"
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...na/message/980
All three can be used successfully with the Icom IC-R75 (R-75).

Indoor LOOP Antennas for the Icom IC-R75 (r-75) 'if' you are looking
for a "Pair of Active 'InDoor' Antennas for AM/MW and SW Reception"
READ= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...nna/message/87
- The Sony AN-LP-1 covers the Shortwave Bands: 3.85-21.95 MHz
- The C.Crane {Justice} Antenna for AM/MW Band: 540-1700 kHz

PRICY = Welbrook Loop Antenna - Information
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...na/message/881

iane ~ RHF
..
..
= = = . com...

Old June 11th 04, 05:21 PM
Dale Parfitt

"RHF" wrote in message
m...
SARA,

The Icom IC-R75 (r-75) has two 'built-in' Pre-Amplifiers.

SO... WHY ? Complicate things with another outboard Pre-Amplifier ?

Although I don't own an R-75, I would think the preamps are as they are in
my IC-756 PRO- that is , they are 50 Ohms input ( or there abouts).
Thus, not suitable for the hi end Z of a short whip (capacitive probe)- they
shunt the vast majority of the sig to ground.
Don't confuse preamps with the active stages in an active antenna- their
primary purpose is to act as an impedance transformer, gain is secondary.

Dale W4OP

Old June 11th 04, 07:16 PM
Joe Analssandrini

Hello Miss Sara,

I do not have an ICOM R-75 but I think the following antennas would
work VERY well with it.

If you are "space-challenged," the best indoor active antenna I have
found is the AOR WL500 Active Loop Window Antenna. It is an excellent
performer and has the advantage that it can easily be "broken down"
and put in its bag to carry or store.

If you have room in an attic, or don't really care how the antenna
looks, the very FINEST indoor active antenna is, in my opinion, the
Wellbrook ALA 330S Active Loop Antenna. This is the best performer I
have ever found. It really cuts down the noise (atmospheric and
electrical) and brings in signals with a superb S/N ratio. It is not
designed for MW but can be used for it. The Wellbrook ALA 1530, I'm
told, works better on MW than the 330S but not as well on SW as the
330S. (I have no experience with the 1530.) "You pays your money and
you takes your choice!" You can only get this antenna from the
manufacturer or, if you wish to use a credit card, from THE SHORTWAVE
SHOP in the UK which is where I purchased mine (the 330S).

The AOR cost approximately $200 and the Wellbrook cost approximately
$300 (plus coaxial cable and installation, if necessary).

I use both antennas with a Grundig Satellit 800 and an AOR AR7030
Plus.

Hope this is of interest to you.

Joe

P.S. I tried the Sony AN-LP1 with the Grundig Satellit 800 but was
badly disappointed. I haven't even tried that antenna with the AR7030.
It does work very well with Sony and other portables, in my
experience.

Old June 12th 04, 03:13 PM
RHF

= = = "Dale Parfitt" wrote in message
= = = ...
"RHF" wrote in message
m...
SARA,

The Icom IC-R75 (r-75) has two 'built-in' Pre-Amplifiers.

SO... WHY ? Complicate things with another outboard Pre-Amplifier ?

Although I don't own an R-75, I would think the preamps are as they are in
my IC-756 PRO- that is , they are 50 Ohms input ( or there abouts).
Thus, not suitable for the hi end Z of a short whip (capacitive probe)- they
shunt the vast majority of the sig to ground.
Don't confuse preamps with the active stages in an active antenna- their
primary purpose is to act as an impedance transformer, gain is secondary.

Dale W4OP

DP,

In my 'original' Reply - I then when on to say:

Note - Instead of the Push-Pins 'small' Cup-Hooks can be use.

PRE-SELECTOR: A small 'passive' Antenna Pre-Selector like the
MFJ-956 can be used with one of these InDoor [Hidden] SWL Antennas
and the Icom IC-R75 (R-75). The MFJ-956 is a very small box.
MFJ= http://www.mfjenterprises.com/produc...prodid=MFJ-956
The MFJ-956 greatly improves reception from 150 kHz to 30 MHz;
especially below 2 MHz.

1. Use a basic 'home-made' Wire Antenna Element for an InDoor
Antenna with the Icom ICR75 (R-75) Receiver.

2. Couple the Indoor Antenna with a Pre-Selector to the Icom
IC-R75 (R-75) Receiver's LO-Z 50 Ohm SO-239 Antenna Input Jack.

3. Then use one of the two Pre-Amplifiers that are 'built-into'
the Icom ICR75 (R-75) Receiver as needed.

iane ~ RHF

..

Old June 13th 04, 10:08 PM
Joe Analssandrini

Check out the thread Icom R75/Loop Antenna for another
opinion/observation about the Wellbrook Antenna, this time from
someone who uses it with the Icom R75.

Joe