Old June 14th 04, 12:53 AM
Invader3k

Default I like my Grundig YP-400PE...

Hi all. I'm new to this board, and shortwave in general.

My wife bought me the above mentioned unit back in March for my
birthday. She purchased it from Radio Shack. It works very well. Now,
we live in a college residence hall (she has a job as an assistant
hall director), and it has very thick walls, etc. Usually our FM
reception sucks, AM is almost non-existent. However, the Grundig pulls
in FM very well, and can get some AM. However, it really does great on
shortwave! I use the supplied reel antenna, place it in the window,
and have heard China Radio International, Voice of Russia, BBC from
South Africa, etc. Don't know where all the negative comments about
this radio come from, because I really like it.

Last weekend we went up north...close to the Michigan UP border...I
could pull in WTMJ from Milwaukee on 620 AM, and heard China Radio and
Radio Havana very clearly, as well as a lot of FM.

Any other people listening in Southeastern Wisconsin? Would appreciate
any tips, or suggestions for a better indoor antenna. We can't put
anything up outside the window.

Thanks,
Mason
Old June 14th 04, 01:21 AM
Diverd4777

In article ,
(Invader3k) writes:

Any other people listening in Southeastern Wisconsin? Would appreciate
any tips, or suggestions for a better indoor antenna. We can't put
anything up outside the window.

Thanks,
Mason

Mason:
here is a method for getting an antenna outside when its impossible to get an
antenna outside..
Dan / NYC
MATERIALS

Some Stranded, Insulated copper wire from Radio shack
Colors so it matches the bricks / outside of your building

Some stick-on Cord holders
One tube clear Silicone sealer glue
A roll of Duct tape color of outside of apt.

One Mop
One piece of twine or string.
One Small soft edged weight.

PROCEDU

See how far it is in between two windows of your Apt..

Measure out a piece of string this distance + ~ 6 - 8 feet.
Attach a small soft edged weight to it.

( Look Outside to see no one is looking !! )

Secure curious household pets

Open Both Windows.
Insert mop part way out one]
Close that window to secure mop handle

Run over to the other window QUICK!
Take the twine with the weight on it & (without risking life & limb)
Toss the string over the mop sticking out the other window.
Secure the end of that end of the string with a bit of slack
Close that window
Run over to the other window with the mop that has the twine handing down off
it

Pull the mop in
Close the window.

( Breath deeply )

NOW....

Attach the stranded wire to the end of the string.
Slightly open window
Run over to the oher window.
Open it & pull in string until wire / string connection is through..

Pull in enough so that wire will reach SWR
Attach wire to SWR.
Close window.

- That's basically it. Modify as needed.

You can take Square stick -on cord holders
Camouflage them with magic Marker color , &
Silicone glue them to the outside corners of the window,
Then loop more wire

( DONT FALL OUT WHEN DOING THIS !!)

around the cord holders. This makes the antenna longer.
repeat for other windows..This should help lots..

( Works for me !!)

Old June 14th 04, 05:29 AM
Pilotbutteradio

Indeed a good little radio. Sounds like it is perfect for you right now,
just getting started in the hobby. Many of us keep them around for traveling
and, I use mine as a bedside radio with the cool little ear buds. For it's
size, it is one of the three best radios out there. I loved the antenna idea
with the string and mop! Great idea. The main thing is to get as long a
piece of wire as you can connected to that radio. You may also try different
shorter lengths of wire that are specific to the band you want to listen on.
Good luck!

Dave
746pro, FT-101ee,YB-400pe,
VX5R, GE SR-3, PRO-2053, PRO-95

Old June 14th 04, 01:04 PM
RHF

MASON,

First you best bet is to get the Grundig Yacht Boy 400 PE Radio
'close' to an Outside Window with a Clear View. This will usually
improve your reception on AM/MW, FM and Shortwave. Try several
different Windows if possible for each of the bands AM/FM/SW.

For the different Radio Bands: AM/MW, FM and Shortwave you
really need three different Antennas in a location like yours
that is "RF Signal Challenged".

1. For AM/MW Radio Reception consider a Box Loop Antenna with
your Grundig Yacht Boy 400 PE Radio.
* Think 'Loop Antenna' for 'improved' AM/MW Band Reception
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...na/message/990
* Answers to your "Pizza Box" Loop Antenna Questions
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...a/message/1027

2. For FM Radio Reception consider using a simple Folded Dipole
Antenna with your Grundig Yacht Boy 400 PE Radio.
* External FM Antenna [Hook-Ups] for most 'portable' AM/FM &
Shortwave Radios
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...na/message/544
* Simple Indoor Antennas for Consumer Multi-Band AM/FM/SW Radios
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...na/message/393
* Single Wire 'T' Antenna -&- Improved FM Band Reception
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...na/message/263
* Improved FM Reception with portable Radios
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...na/message/101

3. For Shortwave (SW) Band Reception consider an any of these
SWL Antennas with your Grundig Yacht Boy 400 PE Radio.
* On-the-Window Random Wire / Loop Antenna for 'portable'
Shortwave Radios
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...na/message/964
* The simplest & easiest 'portable' Shortwave Antenna
to use 'portable' Radios
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...na/message/933
* Try Indoor Antennas First -before- Trying an Indoor Active Antennas
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...a/message/1036
* Dual Slinky Dipole Antenna and more...

iane ~ RHF
..
..
= = = m...

Old June 15th 04, 04:46 PM
RHF

= = = (Frank White) wrote in message
= = = ...
In article , says...

Hi all. I'm new to this board, and shortwave in general.

My wife bought me the above mentioned unit back in March for my
birthday. She purchased it from Radio Shack. It works very well. Now,
we live in a college residence hall (she has a job as an assistant
hall director), and it has very thick walls, etc. Usually our FM
reception sucks, AM is almost non-existent. However, the Grundig pulls
in FM very well, and can get some AM. However, it really does great on
shortwave! I use the supplied reel antenna, place it in the window,
and have heard China Radio International, Voice of Russia, BBC from
South Africa, etc. Don't know where all the negative comments about
this radio come from, because I really like it.

The Yachtboy 400 is considered one of the two top portable SW
radios...

FW,

The Grundig Yacht Boy 400 PE is the 'most often sold'
AM/FM Shortwave Radio in the North American Market.

It is a good radio, but in the Price Range there are better radios.

It's success is in the Grundig Brand Name and ETON Corps. marketing
expertise and distribution; the key element of which is the fact
that RadioShack Sells Them )

jm2cw ~ RHF
..
..
Last weekend we went up north...close to the Michigan UP border...I
could pull in WTMJ from Milwaukee on 620 AM, and heard China Radio and
Radio Havana very clearly, as well as a lot of FM.

Any other people listening in Southeastern Wisconsin? Would appreciate
any tips, or suggestions for a better indoor antenna. We can't put
anything up outside the window.

Slinky power!

(Near the window hang a Slinky from the ceiling or something high, attach
an antenna wire to it, and you may be suprised at how well it works...)

FW

..
Old June 17th 04, 02:04 AM
Jim Hackett

Sounds like it. Mine doesn't overload on a 60 foot long wire!

"Matthew Spaltro" wrote in message
om...
Mine suffers from overload with only the stock antenna. Maybe I got a

melon.

YB400PE [email protected] Shortwave 7 February 5th 04 12:34 PM
Grundig Yacht Boy (YB) Radios that are offered World Wide under the Grundig Yacht Boy (YB) Brand Name RHF Shortwave 5 February 5th 04 12:23 PM
Grundig Satellit 900 -=V=- Eton E1 XM Radio RHF Shortwave 5 February 5th 04 12:14 PM
HELP! Grundig YB 400PE and SSB gil Shortwave 2 July 5th 03 03:58 PM