Old June 19th 04, 05:47 AM
WShoots1

David: These are ion the same ISM frequency as microwave ovens (2450 mHz as
I recall).

The ovens I'm aware of operate around 10GHz.

A magnetron for 2.45 GHz would be the size of a roast.G

Bill, K5BY
Old June 19th 04, 06:18 PM
Mark Zenier

In article ,
WShoots1 wrote:
David: These are ion the same ISM frequency as microwave ovens (2450 mHz as
I recall).

The ovens I'm aware of operate around 10GHz.

A magnetron for 2.45 GHz would be the size of a roast.G

Look at the name plate, it'll have the frequency along with the serial
number, power consumption, and whatever other part 18 label the FCC
requires.

The $99 Sharp's (that I regularly take apart to repair the damn carousel
axles), clearly state 2450 MHz and the magnetron, with all its magnets and
flanges, is only about the size of a coffee cup.

They're using the "new" rare earth magnets, which are loads of fun to
play with. The main reason to scrap out ovens (and hard disk drives,
too). Watch out for ceramics containing Beryllium that's in a lot of
high power RF parts, though. And don't get your fingers in between two
of them where you can't keep them apart.

Mark Zenier Washington State resident

Old June 20th 04, 03:48 PM
David

The remote control interference is optical, not RF.

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 17:02:39 GMT, (Mark Zenier)
wrote:

In article ,
Brenda Ann Dyer wrote:

"m II" wrote in message
Dave Holford wrote:

I recently purchased a pack of the small screw-in fluorescent bulbs and
the package contained a statement to the effect that although they had
been approved by the FCC they may cause interference to radios, wireless
networks, remote controllers etc.

A quick check with a portable HF receiver disclosed that they do indeed
radiate wide spectrum noise, although at a low enough level that I have
not noticed a problem when using an outdoor antenna with co-ax feed.

Some years ago there were rules concerning the use of dimmers near
radio telescopes because of the noise. All this stuff is accumulative.

How can any device that causes interference be type approved by UL
or the CSA? There may be some monetary incentives going on that we
aren't aware of.

I can't speak for CSA, but UL doesn't cover RF radiation, only safety issues
and other concerns of insurance companies.

As for the RF noise, FCC Part 15 applies to all such devices. Part 15 rules
allow for really quite a bit of RF garbage (100mW on AMBCB can create quite
a havoc, especially when it's connected to a nice long antenna like your
electrical wiring). I believe all the small fluorescent stuff uses a
switching power supply, similar in function to the one in your computer.
This means square waves.. and square waves mean beaucoup RF radiation up to
who knows how far in the spectrum.

I purchased some GE brand compact fluorescents recently and on the card
in the packaging has a warning.

... "This product complies with Part 18 of the FCC Rules but may
cause interference to radios, televisions, wireless telephones, and
remote controls. Avoid placing this product near these devices.
If interference occurs, move product away from the device or
plug either into a different outlet. Do not install this product
near maritime safety equipment or other critical navigation or
communications equipment operating between .45 - 30 MHz. ..."

Part 18 is Industrial/Scientific/Medical regs, ie. microwave ovens,
induction stove burners, etc.

Mark Zenier
Washington State resident

Old June 22nd 04, 05:14 PM
Gray Shockley

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 08:18:51 -0500, David wrote
(in article ):

General Electric makes the world's ****tiest lighting products.

I take it you're not familiar with Lights of America.

++ Gray //

I've
been using compact fluorescents for 20 years and will occasionally run
into a noisy one, but it's very rare.

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 17:44:15 GMT, (Mark Zenier)
wrote:

In article ,
David wrote:

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 17:02:39 GMT,
(Mark Zenier)
wrote:

I purchased some GE brand compact fluorescents recently and on the card
in the packaging has a warning.

... "This product complies with Part 18 of the FCC Rules but may
cause interference to radios, televisions, wireless telephones, and
remote controls. Avoid placing this product near these devices.
If interference occurs, move product away from the device or
plug either into a different outlet. Do not install this product
near maritime safety equipment or other critical navigation or
communications equipment operating between .45 - 30 MHz. ..."

The remote control interference is optical, not RF.

Yea, I guess GE doesn't think the user cares what the real cause is,
or they just wanted to cram as much in the fine print as possible.

But, for this newsgroup, the key sentence was the last one. I do have to
go around and shut off some of these lights if I'm trying to get a good
copy on a weak signal. Often it isn't the one closest to the antenna.

Mark Zenier
Washington State resident

Old June 23rd 04, 11:43 AM
WShoots1

Mark: The $99 Sharp's (that I regularly take apart to repair the damn
carousel axles), clearly state 2450 MHz and the magnetron, with all its magnets
and flanges, is only about the size of a coffee cup. They're using the "new"
rare earth magnets, which are loads of fun to play with.

Ah so... I forgot about those new magnets. I've been retired from the
electronics and computers service business for 13 years, and it's all I kind do
to keep up with home computers. G

Thanks much, Mark, and you other folks, too, who have treated this dinosaur
kindly. G

73,
Bill, K5BY